Losing my patience.

I'm a GM Team Member who's in development to become a GMTL. More specifically, the hardlines GMTL who oversees toys, entertainment, sporting goods, and seasonal. Almost a month ago, my HR ETL had me fill out this worksheet detailing my development plan and it had a bunch of goals and metrics to meet. The plan is to basically have me overseeing this hardlines section of the store, ensuring all of my one-for-ones are pulled at 100% every day, coming clean on price change, set workload, etc. I've only been going at this for a few weeks, but I just want to know when I can expect things to get going in terms of an interview and actual promotion.

I've always suffered from FOMO and it's getting to me now. I see all of these TL's in their meetings and whatnot and I can't help but want to be a part of that. I've been at Target for a while and I feel like it's well past time that I start to grow and develop. Can any other TL's possibly give me some insight? Because I'm really starting to lose my patience.

Take note from the other threads.

Last edited:
I'm a GM Team Member who's in development to become a GMTL. More specifically, the hardlines GMTL who oversees toys, entertainment, sporting goods, and seasonal. Almost a month ago, my HR ETL had me fill out this worksheet detailing my development plan and it had a bunch of goals and metrics to meet. The plan is to basically have me overseeing this hardlines section of the store, ensuring all of my one-for-ones are pulled at 100% every day, coming clean on price change, set workload, etc. I've only been going at this for a few weeks, but I just want to know when I can expect things to get going in terms of an interview and actual promotion.

I've always suffered from FOMO and it's getting to me now. I see all of these TL's in their meetings and whatnot and I can't help but want to be a part of that. I've been at Target for a while and I feel like it's well past time that I start to grow and develop. Can any other TL's possibly give me some insight? Because I'm really starting to lose my patience.
You can ask to be part of the TL meetings. You are a pretend a TL anyways, might as well pretend like one in meetings 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m still a DBO, but they keep saying that I’m overseeing all of the hardlines section the store. They’ve given me some opportunities to lead other TM’s who also work in those areas.
Ok good, that makes more sense. That's the only way you'll really be able to show your leadership skills.

Regardless, I look forward to the advice you get in this thread.

Take note from the other threads.
That thread might be a moot point since my GM ETL just up and quit without notice and it’s now clear that she was never serious about my development.

My SD and HR ETL have sat down and had some chats with me and they appear to have outlined a more detailed plan for me.

OFO completion, price change completion, and set workload completion all sound like ways to show that you've made a positive impact in the store during your development. These completion percentages will be one of the keys to your interview process. I use a similar plan with my team members who are in development. Remember to continually follow up with your leads on how things are going, because ultimately your development is your responsibility.

OFO completion, price change completion, and set workload completion all sound like ways to show that you've made a positive impact in the store during your development. These completion percentages will be one of the keys to your interview process. I use a similar plan with my team members who are in development. Remember to continually follow up with your leads on how things are going, because ultimately your development is your responsibility.

When can I expect the SD to actually get me set for an interview? Because the hardlines GMTL spot at my store is open after the prior leader left just a couple of weeks ago and I obviously want to fill it.

Is there a certain metric or goal that I have to meet? Is there a certain time of year that interviews and promotions are done? Or is it just whenever the SD decides?

When can I expect the SD to actually get me set for an interview? Because the hardlines GMTL spot at my store is open after the prior leader left just a couple of weeks ago and I obviously want to fill it.

Is there a certain metric or goal that I have to meet? Is there a certain time of year that interviews and promotions are done? Or is it just whenever the SD decides?
I'd say it's mostly up to your SD's discretion but sometimes there are outside factors. I know right now our HRD and BPs are saying there is a promotion freeze until after headcounts and reviews are finalized except for extraneous factors so no movement in my group right now unless approved.

That thread might be a moot point since my GM ETL just up and quit without notice and it’s now clear that she was never serious about my development.

My SD and HR ETL have sat down and had some chats with me and they appear to have outlined a more detailed plan for me.
You might want to review your prior threads. They do have tips to help you. Throwing a zebra, is a minus.

Well it depends on if there are openings and if you are willing to move stores or want to stay at your store. Be patient, it isn't going to happen over night. With your previous temper tantrums they are likely testing you and seeing if you can handle the stress etc. In my district they are extremely desperate for ETLs and they are promoting a ton fron within and it has created a ton of openings for TL.

If I were you I'd ask for feedback from your TL about your performance and take them seriously and try to improve. Also you can ask your SD if they could sit down with you and go over talking points and interview prep when the time gets closer.

Overall my biggest recommendation for you is to be patient and relax. This will not happen in a few weeks or probably months especially given your history. Work hard through it all and show you can handle anything thrown your way and always be the first to volunteer to help out in other areas.

Are you sure that you are in this for the right reasons? It seems like you want to become a TL only for the exclusivity of being in meetings and you're not thinking about the stress and how demanding the work can be.

Do you have to interview for the position of Team Lead? Or do you just get promoted to the role? Coming DC side 99.9% of promotions and moves that aren't just department/shift require an interview.

Do you have to interview for the position of Team Lead? Or do you just get promoted to the role? Coming DC side 99.9% of promotions and moves that aren't just department/shift require an interview.
From what I've seen, you do interview and sometimes it can take awhile for the position to fill. However regardless of the interviews, 9 times out of 10 (with the 10th time being a Closing TL since no one seems to want that position) the store knows exactly who they want to put in the role before it even gets announced or listed on the site.

Don’t lose control :
but I have to say - if the position has been open ‘for weeks’ and you haven’t been offered it yet - then it isn’t happening.

Leadership usually has plans in place in advance. If the position hasn’t been filled yet it means they don’t see anyone ‘in house’ that they want for the position.

Unless the reason IS ‘the freeze’ until reviews are over. That is a possibility. Or they could be waiting on an answer from someone else first - but I doubt they would have given them this long to think about it.

you COULD keep trying but really, it doesn’t look like it will happen.

Is there even a position available at your store?

Don’t lose control :
but I have to say - if the position has been open ‘for weeks’ and you haven’t been offered it yet - then it isn’t happening.

Leadership usually has plans in place in advance. If the position hasn’t been filled yet it means they don’t see anyone ‘in house’ that they want for the position.

Unless the reason IS ‘the freeze’ until reviews are over. That is a possibility. Or they could be waiting on an answer from someone else first - but I doubt they would have given them this long to think about it.

you COULD keep trying but really, it doesn’t look like it will happen.

They haven’t specifically offered the actual promotion, but they’ve sat down with me and discussed me more or less taking up some of the responsibilities that the lead would oversee in said area, like a test run to see if I can handle it.

Well did you ask if you could apply for it? Usually that will force their hand.
The position hasn’t been posted on Workday or the careers site. My HR ETL just had me fill out this worksheet detailing my development plan and then he told me that I just have to wait for my SD to sit down and discuss it with me, whenever that is.

I'm going to ask a question that has been asked of you 1000 times in the 50+ threads/reddit posts and potentially give myself an aneurysm over your answer.

Why should they promote you?

And I don't mean this as a jerk. But honestly ask yourself why you deserve to be promoted. Think of it in terms of the interview. What skills do you bring to the table? What have you done that impacted your department metrics, your team or your store, besides throwing expensive equipment, that makes you deserve it over Joe Schmoe off the streets or Mary-Sue from softlines (Idk store departments).

And if your answer is "I'm a hard worker and I've been with Target for a long time." Congratulations, you're in the same bucket as the thousands of other team members that come up wanting a promotion.

Because right now from your motivations you've mentioned in other threads you've said "I wanna sleep with another TL," "I deserve it because I think I'm better than the girl they promoted last year cause I worked here longer," and "I wanna feel special by being in TL meetings." Not great.

Back