Archived Losing Team Lead position?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was offered a team lead position at the end of April because one of my current team leads was going to be our new Visual Merchandiser. She switched to over nights for our remodel so they had me cover her for the 6 weeks she was "gone".

Long story short, she has decided she isn't taking the VM job and staying one of our two SLTL. She told me last night on the last day she was supposed to be training me. I've been through all the interviews and have been told that HR was talking to our District Hr about getting my pay rolling. That was a week and a half ago before my team lead dropped this bomb on me.

So I'm assuming this isn't happening for me, especially since my lead told me if I wanted I could interview for the VM position. I was really banking on this. I'm 5 months pregnant with 2 little kids and we are trying to buy a house.

So my long rant is basically to ask what my options are? I'm planning on going to HR today and talking to them about it. I have opened my availability up for this position and they've been having me work crazy hours and doing TL duties without the pay. I was understanding of that because I thought it was coming soon. I can't keep doing all of that without the pay out, know what I mean? I'm wondering if I can still be a team lead or maybe get some kind of raise? I do know if I'm going to stay a Sales floor team member I would like to switch back to my regular availability. I can't keep busting my ass and nothing comes of it. Anyone else have this happen, what did you do?

I was offered a team lead position at the end of April because one of my current team leads was going to be our new Visual Merchandiser. She switched to over nights for our remodel so they had me cover her for the 6 weeks she was "gone".

Long story short, she has decided she isn't taking the VM job and staying one of our two SLTL. She told me last night on the last day she was supposed to be training me. I've been through all the interviews and have been told that HR was talking to our District Hr about getting my pay rolling. That was a week and a half ago before my team lead dropped this bomb on me.

So I'm assuming this isn't happening for me, especially since my lead told me if I wanted I could interview for the VM position. I was really banking on this. I'm 5 months pregnant with 2 little kids and we are trying to buy a house.

So my long rant is basically to ask what my options are? I'm planning on going to HR today and talking to them about it. I have opened my availability up for this position and they've been having me work crazy hours and doing TL duties without the pay. I was understanding of that because I thought it was coming soon. I can't keep doing all of that without the pay out, know what I mean? I'm wondering if I can still be a team lead or maybe get some kind of raise? I do know if I'm going to stay a Sales floor team member I would like to switch back to my regular availability. I can't keep busting my ass and nothing comes of it. Anyone else have this happen, what did you do?
I would have never let it go on for six weeks. Not without the promotion signed and sealed. Especially pregnant.

Definitely talk to hr, your etl and stl. Let them know it's not ok to renege on the promotion and they can either find you a different tl spot or your availability is reverting effectively immediately. Hopefully they are understanding, but don't hold your breath. They'll probably whine and bitch, mostly behind your back. But you can't let them walk on you.

This.
Unfortunately, Target is notorious for carrot-dangling.
They commonly use TMs as unpaid TLs on the floor under the guise of 'development', seeing how long you'll bust your ass & stretch your availability until you give up & call them on it.
When that happens, you'll be told that you're not a 'team player' & any future moves may be blocked.
They'll also drag their feet when changing your availability back.

Demand back pay and that they find you a position, either in this store or another. If they refuse, hotline em, if they hotline doesn't do anything after two weeks, contact a lawyer

Demand back pay and that they find you a position, either in this store or another. If they refuse, hotline em, if they hotline doesn't do anything after two weeks, contact a lawyer

Hotline? Lawyer? What are you trying to accomplish here?

I really would like to know what hiring a lawyer would accomplish. You could hotline this, but this type of crap happens regularly at my store. Best case scenario would be that you get a TL spot in a different department. If you push this too hard, like redeye said, you'll be labeled a troublemaker and not be considered for a promotion ever again.

If they are asking you to do duties outside of your role and refuse official title change and pay that's actually a violation of labor laws. Why do you think we don't see 'district managers' who have a tram member title working for 11$ an hour? Trust me someone would do it.

Did you pass all of your interviews? If so, that's considered withholding a promotion. If you passed and they told you you got the TL position, I'm sure they'll find you another spot either within the store or another store. Don't let this defeat you and definitely don't stop performing because it'll shoot your chances for moving up.

Relax, you cannot have interviewed with any district leadership which is a requirement for team leaders unless you were placed on the talent management pipeline. In short your store has one year from the time they do that to have you signed off or dropped from pipeline. It sounds like you were already signed off, so if you have no opportunities for team lead in your store you will simply be moved to another store.

I don't know about taking on a new job in a role that was JUST created when you are 5 months pregnant. I mean you'll basically be going on maternity leave only a few months into the job, I don't think that is really fair for the company. Maybe I'm wrong but that is just my thinking.

Lawyer? What? Nothing illegal going on. Nothing. Not even remotely illegal. If you're being paid over minimum wage that's all that's required. No law says you must be paid more if given more responsibilities. Why the hell would you think or expect otherwise?

I don't know about taking on a new job in a role that was JUST created when you are 5 months pregnant. I mean you'll basically be going on maternity leave only a few months into the job, I don't think that is really fair for the company. Maybe I'm wrong but that is just my thinking.

what you just posted would be completely illegal for you to say in stores. Anyone has every right to take a promotion that is presented to them, even if they are 5 months pregnant. These statements are the reason why we have laws in place for pregnant women.

what you just posted would be completely illegal for you to say in stores. Anyone has every right to take a promotion that is presented to them, even if they are 5 months pregnant. These statements are the reason why we have laws in place for pregnant women.
Short term disability isn't position protected. She will have a job when she came back just not TL.

Short term disability isn't position protected. She will have a job when she came back just not TL.

If she's been with the company over a year/worked the required hours she will. Technically it's not position protected, but it is job protected. Meaning, if your a TL over a certain department making $20 an hour, they have to bring you back to an equivalent position. TL in another area at $20 an hour, it could be another store as long as it doesn't cause undue hardship.

When I was a salaried HR manager I was also prego. I was working for walmart and I studied every law there was to make sure walmart didn't screw me over. In return i got 12 weeks full salaries paid FMLA and a few weeks paid off during my pregnancy to rest.

Thanks for all the responses guys, sorry it took me so long to get back. Well after the initial shock/butthurt I got over it. I decided taking the VM position wasn't for me and I wasnt willing to move to another store, so that pretty much gave me the option to quit or suck it up. Im 12 weeks away from my due date so I have informed HR that I can no longer work 40+ hours or be any kind of "stand in" TL. I also told them starting this week I cant work nights, I like what I do and I love the people I work with but the extra stress and missing out on my children isnt worth it in my opinion.

Is it possible for an ETL or STL to forcefully demote a TL back to a TM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back