Archived Low Cashier hours with mytime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Today I came in and looked at the schedule and we only had 4 cashiers scheduled and our last one was out at 7. Um....can anyone explain this haha. I guess we are just going to have $0 in sales from 7-9 and have no need for cashiers. We were in backup forever today. As far as I am aware there were no callouts either.

Spot thinks sales floor is more important than frontlanes. Hours have been cut from frontlanes to help add hours to sales floor.
This. My ETL-GE said they are going to work to tweak this. At one point on Saturday, we had 4 people scheduled for electronics at the same time (hour and a half overlap). We don't need that in fourth quarter, much less in April!

So the ETL-GE told me he is going to be watching that more closely from now on, especially since our store will no longer let the GSA be first responder for back up...and having five guests in line staring at you (or complaining about the lack of self check out) while the salesfloor ignores your calls because you've called them up 10 times already is NOT my idea of a fun Saturday morning.

This. My ETL-GE said they are going to work to tweak this. At one point on Saturday, we had 4 people scheduled for electronics at the same time (hour and a half overlap). We don't need that in fourth quarter, much less in April!

So the ETL-GE told me he is going to be watching that more closely from now on, especially since our store will no longer let the GSA be first responder for back up...and having five guests in line staring at you (or complaining about the lack of self check out) while the salesfloor ignores your calls because you've called them up 10 times already is NOT my idea of a fun Saturday morning.

Ya we had overlap from 12:30-4:30 today in electronics when we usually just have one person there at all times. Its great they think salesfloor is more important but when you are spending half your time at the checklane anyway its not very efficient or smart.

We don't have enough hours period. There's constant backup needed at the lanes, no one on the sales floor and recently we had the added fun of all that AND regular calls for GS backup.

Means whenever I talk to electronics TMs it's always about what the next six people in line want. I'd lose my mind in minutes.

So Today I came in and looked at the schedule and we only had 4 cashiers scheduled and our last one was out at 7. Um....can anyone explain this haha. I guess we are just going to have $0 in sales from 7-9 and have no need for cashiers. We were in backup forever today. As far as I am aware there were no callouts either.

Well, now we know how you guys got more P-Fresh hours.

There are potentially multiple answers as to what happened. MyTime has formulas for hours allocation for each department and works with competing demands to hand them all out. For cashiers it is simply a combination of dollars per minute and transactions per minute, and scheduling that amount of cashiers to meet it. Salesfloor is based on department sales, so your area will get more hours if it makes up a bigger % of sales than the others. A store that is heavy in softlines will therefore get more hours in softlines etc. The other nice thing is that it will schedule all possible shifts like MAX did, and then schedule blank shifts (ie 12p-5pm Hardlines with no person assigned) that need filled.

A majority of the time, if there is an issue with the schedule, it is user error. It is VERY easy for a TL to just decide they know better and start handwriting the schedule (and they will miss things)... It is also easy to find TM's pulling for other areas (so in your example a closing cashier) and decide you want them for hardlines instead and not replace the shift. Finally, you will not be guest driven if you do not fill all the blank shifts listed for an area. I have seen people just delete them all, and this causes issues as well.

At the end of the day, MyTime knows what it is doing by now. It is the leadership team that screws it up.

There are potentially multiple answers as to what happened. MyTime has formulas for hours allocation for each department and works with competing demands to hand them all out. For cashiers it is simply a combination of dollars per minute and transactions per minute, and scheduling that amount of cashiers to meet it. Salesfloor is based on department sales, so your area will get more hours if it makes up a bigger % of sales than the others. A store that is heavy in softlines will therefore get more hours in softlines etc. The other nice thing is that it will schedule all possible shifts like MAX did, and then schedule blank shifts (ie 12p-5pm Hardlines with no person assigned) that need filled.

A majority of the time, if there is an issue with the schedule, it is user error. It is VERY easy for a TL to just decide they know better and start handwriting the schedule (and they will miss things)... It is also easy to find TM's pulling for other areas (so in your example a closing cashier) and decide you want them for hardlines instead and not replace the shift. Finally, you will not be guest driven if you do not fill all the blank shifts listed for an area. I have seen people just delete them all, and this causes issues as well.

At the end of the day, MyTime knows what it is doing by now. It is the leadership team that screws it up.

When MyTime gives us less than half the cashier hours we had under Max I think it's MyTime and not the leadership that's the issue. On an average day my store has less than 30 total payroll hours for the cashier workcenter. This includes the person behind IGS because our store removed the Guest Service position. Most days my store is literally on code from 10am to 8pm due to lack of bodies at the front lanes.

Well, now we know how you guys got more P-Fresh hours.

lol I guess so. I dont remember if it was my HR TM or someone on here but they mentioned Pfresh wasnt based around guest centered scheduling and that is why the hours were different or more of something to that effect. With how much we do im glad we actually have hours now. Having our workcenter only being 7 or 7:30 to 7pm was rediculous and stressful.

The other day coming back from break I was LITERALLY on the checklanes for 45 minutes straight when I had a bunch of pfresh workload to take care of.

Still only 4 cashiers?

Today it was the same thing. 4 Cashiers, only one cashier from 5:45 to closing...are they kidding me with this? Whats the point when half the salesfloor is backing up most of the time anway. I swear every 10-15 minutes today backup was called my entire shift after 10 to 2:30

Last edited:
It's Easter time and it's like Christmas at my store! You'd think they were giving chocolate bunnies away! We are so low on cashiers that every other minute we're calling for backups. The salesfloor, flow team, ETLs, Senior TLs, our STL...evvverrrybody is backing up at the lanes. My time has really screwed up the cashier area. Our poor gstl is ready to pull her hair out. I mean, you can tell, she is REALLY frustrated and she is a strong gstl too. Sat night we had one cashier from 830 til close. That's hard on one person so have a CONSTANT line of people staring you down, tapping their toes impatiently. Ridiculous.
Our HRtm knew when it was busy at our store. Not EVERY store is the same!
If everyone is cashiering then who's helping the guests on the floor? No one. It was hard enough to find someone before mytime.

You will also find your sales floor people will just stop responding to the back up calls. We get really tired of not being able to actually get anything done..

You will also find your sales floor people will just stop responding to the back up calls. We get really tired of not being able to actually get anything done..

Yeah, this happened to me the other day. I had to straighten the shoes near the end of closing. There was only 1 cashier scheduled, so I was responding to back ups. It was only me and someone from beauty responding! Basically, I had to stay after to finish up the stupid shoes. Oh and because of all the time I had to spend up at the front lanes, some dumb woman came through shoes and shitted everything up that I had done previously. :mad:

When MyTime gives us less than half the cashier hours we had under Max I think it's MyTime and not the leadership that's the issue. On an average day my store has less than 30 total payroll hours for the cashier workcenter. This includes the person behind IGS because our store removed the Guest Service position. Most days my store is literally on code from 10am to 8pm due to lack of bodies at the front lanes.

Well I do have a few questions... The first being do you know what your actual hour allocation looked like in MAX versus MyTime? While the first week was under allocated for us, it quickly put it back to the hours we used to get under cashier (learning curve for the system?)... It is simply based upon a mixture of $ per minute and transactions per minute. My second question is how much did your STL change the allocation under MAX? Some commonly overloaded the Front End (especially with that focus on conversion) and MyTime may be more in line in terms of allocation. Finally, do you actually fill all those hours? You said your store has less than 30 payroll hours for cashier, is that what they spend or what is allocated per day?

I don't complain about a lot of things pertaining to scheduling, but lack of coverage at the front is the biggest pain in the ass. I know the sales floor is tired of responding to code, and trust me I'm tired of calling for it. I have complained to absolutely every ETL, SrTL, TL, and HRTM that I can and it gets us nowhere.

We actually had only 1 cashier (1!) on Saturday from 2 - 4 while dealing with all the system issues. No call ins. As a GSA I ran IGS and told a girl from softlines to just park herself on a lane and get comfortable. When the LOD tried to tell me to get her off the lane I just laughed and called for more backup.

I'm a GSA. Not a effing cashier. I don't mind helping with code, but I'm needed for keys, change, overrides, etc...

I don't complain about a lot of things pertaining to scheduling, but lack of coverage at the front is the biggest pain in the ass. I know the sales floor is tired of responding to code, and trust me I'm tired of calling for it. I have complained to absolutely every ETL, SrTL, TL, and HRTM that I can and it gets us nowhere.

We actually had only 1 cashier (1!) on Saturday from 2 - 4 while dealing with all the system issues. No call ins. As a GSA I ran IGS and told a girl from softlines to just park herself on a lane and get comfortable. When the LOD tried to tell me to get her off the lane I just laughed and called for more backup.

I'm a GSA. Not a effing cashier. I don't mind helping with code, but I'm needed for keys, change, overrides, etc...

I agree and don't get angry with you guys, you have to call. But they need to cut the 1+1 rule if they are going to be like walk-mart and not schedule cashiers.

And that is what you need to do, steal people and when call boxes start not getting answered cause everyone is on a check lane the schedule will get looked at. How we changed it last year when someone didn't think we really needed as many as we do.

Last edited:

Well I do have a few questions... The first being do you know what your actual hour allocation looked like in MAX versus MyTime? While the first week was under allocated for us, it quickly put it back to the hours we used to get under cashier (learning curve for the system?)... It is simply based upon a mixture of $ per minute and transactions per minute. My second question is how much did your STL change the allocation under MAX? Some commonly overloaded the Front End (especially with that focus on conversion) and MyTime may be more in line in terms of allocation. Finally, do you actually fill all those hours? You said your store has less than 30 payroll hours for cashier, is that what they spend or what is allocated per day?

That is what MyTime gives us. Our STL has made it clear that we are supposed to stick with what MyTime spits out as far as the schedule is concerned. It's caused a ton of issues, but "we need to let MyTime work." Our store simply does not have enough bodies up front to handle the amount of guest traffic we have.

Ya today we have 1 cashier from 1-4 or so. I told one of the salesfloor TMs that came on at 12 that used to be a cashier that he would have a great time today backup cashiering for more than half his shift just like he did yesterday. He only got like 1 1/2 CAFS done in his 4 hours shift yesterday because of all the backup

It did with max, but I'm not sure if it does it with myTime or if the computer thinks it can figure it out without that input.

I don't understand how other stores do the schedule? Is no one reviewing it before it's published?

If you have no closing cashiers why isn't it being adjusted weds/thurs?

My STL told me and another GSA tonight that there is a known glitch in myTime that has been slowly squeezing the life out of the hours on the cashier schedule. He has been calling and emailing and going round and round with people to get it fixed. They told him that it should be fixed by Monday for the two week out schedule. He plans to continue this crusade until the glitch is fixed (or until corporate gets tired of him and terms him, I guess). We'll see.

Don't be afraid to hit the button on the register for back up cashiers. I think somehow it tells the system that we need more coverage during the times the button is pushed.
I press that button if it even remotely looks like we need help. Then I call for backup by walkie immediately after to be more specific (like how many people, and if I need help at IGS).

And I cancel the call when necessary. I don't want to make people come up for nothing.

Spot thinks sales floor is more important than frontlanes. Hours have been cut from frontlanes to help add hours to sales floor.

You sound like you work in MY store. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back