Archived low volume GSTL vs high volume GSTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paidtosmile

Former Team Leader
I've been curious about this... What separates a GSTL position at a ULV store from a GSTL position at a higher volume store? I work at a ULV now, but i've never worked in a high volume store. Do you usually have GSA's schedule (as GSA) in addition to yourself? How much backstage time do you usually have? etc etc. Does anybody who has worked both volumes as GSTL have any insight? or really anybody who has done GSTL and knows more about this?

At my A+, we rarely have true double coverage except in the busiest parts of the year. In the morning, whichever GSA is in 239 will either cash or work the service desk for the rest of their shift, as well as cover the opening GSTL's breaks. At night, there might be a GSA scheduled to close the service desk and they'll cover breaks for the closing GSTL. Sometimes we get a mid GSA on the weekends, but they're usually scheduled at the service desk and just cover breaks.

GSTL/GSA team, we need a little help here.

i'm in a A+ store and am the only GSTL. (should be two but i've been the only one for about 10 months now) I get GSA coverage on Mondays after the gsa does CO, Wednesdays all day so i can do the schedule, sometimes on fridays if we have the hours and no one took time off, and usually come in an hour or two before the opener leaves on my night to close.
When there's two GSTL's there's coverage on mondays, wednesdays, fridays, and we both come in 2 hours before the opener leaves, and mids on the weekend if no one took time off.

At my A+, we rarely have true double coverage except in the busiest parts of the year. In the morning, whichever GSA is in 239 will either cash or work the service desk for the rest of their shift, as well as cover the opening GSTL's breaks. At night, there might be a GSA scheduled to close the service desk and they'll cover breaks for the closing GSTL. Sometimes we get a mid GSA on the weekends, but they're usually scheduled at the service desk and just cover breaks.

GSTL/GSA team, we need a little help here.

i'm in a A+ store and am the only GSTL. (should be two but i've been the only one for about 10 months now) I get GSA coverage on Mondays after the gsa does CO, Wednesdays all day so i can do the schedule, sometimes on fridays if we have the hours and no one took time off, and usually come in an hour or two before the opener leaves on my night to close.
When there's two GSTL's there's coverage on mondays, wednesdays, fridays, and we both come in 2 hours before the opener leaves, and mids on the weekend if no one took time off.

Aah, gotcha. So you typically have one of your GSA's there along with a GSTL, but as service desk or cashier? That's a lot of what I was wondering about, just how different your GSTL/GSA rotations and schedules looked in comparison to ours. It sounds sort of similar to ours, minus the mid gsa on weekends!

We generally now have a GSA at guest services, but not always....we lost most of our other guest service people, so it's worked out well to get us hours that way. Overlap for us might be a half hour...it might be barely exchanging words (I hate having to stay late because we have another GSA who will never be anywhere close to on time to save her life and doesn't care if others have to wait or be inconvenienced, so thus I just throw the stuff at her and run to the time clock).

Well my store right now is an Org2 or 3 I think (we just moved to 6am process). My old store was an AA+ volume (forgot chart #).

At my higher volume store GSA almost never had to hop on a lane, I was able to constantly speedweave and had plenty of people to delegate to.

I did a gsa shift this week at my newer lower volume store, and I basically had to do EVERYTHING. Myself 1 "IGS" Service Desk TM, and 1 Cashier.. Basically ringing at iGS while watching lights, and somehow managing to help people way over at Photo because no one is scheduled there anymore. Just an overall nightmare. This was on a Saturday night too...

Working at a high volume store is MUCH better in my opinion.

Not working in Guest Service is also MUCH better in my opinion.

I will say, working during fourth quarter was actually much easier as a GSA, simply because, even though we were busy, we actually had TMs there and I had enough freedom to do something besides spend half the night on back up and the other half getting carts.

@Retail Girl Yeah 4th Quarter was nice for all the extra people. At my high vol super-t it did get to be an overwhelming number of people to manage though (sometimes), but overall wasn't too bad. Was always interesting having 25 people at a time in the workcenter.

Even during Jan/Feb, my higher volume store had pretty good staffing. Could usually always count on at least 2-4 closing cashiers (after 10pm, many more before), closing service desk, and a closing cart attendant.

Yeah, fourth quarter was definitely the nicest. It was busy enough and there were enough cashiers and sales floor for backups that you were JUST there to be the guest service attendant and nothing else.

Idk I am a Gstl At a very High Volume store on average we been having 300 prompts a night for redcards. My Gsa's Never work guest service or cashier we honestly dont get breaks we just have coverage. I feel for them because they have alot of duties and no real benifits

I'm at a ULV store and I'll hop on the bandwagon about 4th quarter being easier to actually just do GSA. There are often nights now where I'm the only person up front trained to cover Food Ave break, work in photo, and get carts because of the low amount of coverage and varying limitations to the front end staff.

In a 7-8 hour shift I usually only take my lunch and a 5 minute bathroom break cause there's just no time.

So when the sales floor TM comes up and wants to turn in keys and gets agrivated that I'm busy they just get the evil eye.

I had a food asst. Move over to a gsa and a ETL told her point blank if u go up front you wont get any breaks no more you know that right. We just have no coverage.

I'm at an AA+ volume store. We have 2 GSTL's (one is a Sr.TL) and 3 GSA's. There is rarely overlap (we are an 8am-11pm store), though all 5 of us generally are scheduled 1/2 of our weekly shifts as service desk and the other half as GSTL/GSA. There are many times when there is no GSTL, one GSA, and 1-2 service desk people. It's really annoying being called to SD a million times a night for overrides because they don't feel "comfortable" doing certain returns or adjustments.

There are 2-3 SD people that are able to cover GSA/GSTL breaks, so we always are able to take a 30, but 15's are rare for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back