Archived Manager approval for large amount of gift cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does a pace maker have to do with anything?

Everything. I was worried that she was going to have a heart attack LOL. My grandfather has had like 2 or 3.

What's it have to do with falling for a scam?

I don't get it

This is why talking with your family and friends is so important. My friend's aunt bought 3k worth of iTunes cards once.

But it's a thin line between letting people be free to make their own choices and treating them like children.

I feel sorry your grandmother got scammed like this, and maybe the cashier should have gotten someone else involved.

I do think it's a mistake to put the responsibility on the cashier to police what people buy. If Target Corp wants to get involved, then they could add something to the POS system.

You could get ask your grandmother or guardian to put credit cards on hold when a large amt is being attempted to be charged. Also, you need to check on your grandma to sure everything is ok.

If a customer buys a certain dollar amount of gift cards, does a manager have to approve the transaction? I'm only asking because my grandmother sadly got scammed by someone phone and actually went to a Target store and bought about $4000 dollars worth of the Visa prepaid gift cards. The person on the phone apparently scammed her by saying that they were the FBI and had one of her grandchildren in jail and the bail was $4000 dollars. She made the big mistake by saying my brother's name on the phone so the scammer went with it and used that information to scam her. They called the cops and my brother went over to calm them down since he was never in jail and the cops said my brother and grandma weren't at fault. Now shitty Capital One is saying that both my grandma and my brother are responsible for this. My grandma is like 76 years old and has a pace maker. She had no idea that scams like this exist. If you really think about it, the scammer could have caused physical harm to my grandmother by getting her heart racing and causing her to have a heart attack since she has a pacemaker.

I know that my grandma should have known better but in a way, shouldn't the cashier that let my grandma buy $4000 dollars worth of gift cards informed a manager of the big purchase?

I would think that large purchases of gift cards would send red flags to AP and the ETL and STL. I would also think that the cash register wouldn't even allow the transaction to go through without an ETL's approval.

I told my brother and grandma that if Capital One gives them more shit that they need to go to FOX 4 in Dallas and bitch about it. I'm pretty sure people would be on the side of a 76 year old grandma with a pacemaker than shitty Capital One.

With all of that being said, I felt really bad for my grandma. She was taken advantage of and embarrassed simply because she was naïve and thought she was doing the right thing.

I'm hoping that the thing dies down because my grandmother's brother passed away last month and now both of her 2 siblings are passed away since her sister passed away a long time ago. She doesn't need more stress and drama.
You and your story are BS. Now GTFO, you unwanted man child.

Dont believe your story one bit but this is why my store rejects any attempt to buy more then $500 in giftcards because of the increased popularity of these kinds of scams. If a guest is insistent ap and gsa partner to take care of it. Hell im afraid to buy a single giftcard at my store ap breathese down your neck through cameras when you do.

I hope this isn't a "I can't afford my (trip to china, group therapy, basic living expenses) post.

"Hello, [city] Police Department? Yes I'd like a detailed rundown of this case you're working on, my email address is lol@lmao.net if you can send me the case files in PDF format that'd be dandy"

This is actually how I figured out the cops were about to get an arrest warrant out on me so I fled the country before they showed up. Currently hanging out in a bar in downtown Moscow. True story.

This type of stuff does happen (we actually had an elderly woman MAIL $60k in cash to someone that was part of one of the same types of scams). Unfortunately there isn't anything that can be done. Your grandmother was the one that spent the money on an item that cannot be recovered. Since she was the one that purchased the merchandise the bank will not reverse any fraud charges. As for Targets role, not much else can be done either. If someone is willing to spend money who are they to question what purpose it is for. There have been times that I have done this when they let slip that their grandson was in jail but most of the time you can't do anything.

As for limitations, there is a federal limit on how many prepaid cards you can purchase in a day to prevent money laundering. I believe the amount is 4-5k.

This type of stuff does happen (we actually had an elderly woman MAIL $60k in cash to someone that was part of one of the same types of scams). Unfortunately there isn't anything that can be done. Your grandmother was the one that spent the money on an item that cannot be recovered. Since she was the one that purchased the merchandise the bank will not reverse any fraud charges. As for Targets role, not much else can be done either. If someone is willing to spend money who are they to question what purpose it is for. There have been times that I have done this when they let slip that their grandson was in jail but most of the time you can't do anything.

As for limitations, there is a federal limit on how many prepaid cards you can purchase in a day to prevent money laundering. I believe the amount is 4-5k.

(OP is a troll)

This actually happens all the time, typically it’s as simple as the cops are holding your grandson and need X amount of Visa cards to let him go. As a gstl I get emails every so often when there’s a spike in scams like this from APs in the area. They just tell us to the LOD so they can talk to the guest. There is no real limit expect the federal limit of 10,000 dollars a day in gift cards to prevent money laundering. I’ve perosnally stopped two elderly guests from this scam with a simple “hey it’s none of my business and you obviously don’t have to tell me but if this is because someone called you demanding money posing as the police or another type of authority it is more than likely a scam. The police will never request money over the phone and definitely will not request Visa cards” Both instances the guest opened up and told me the story and I just told them to contact the local police and inform they of the situation and to try and call their family memeber to confirm he/she is fine.

This actually happens all the time, typically it’s as simple as the cops are holding your grandson and need X amount of Visa cards to let him go. As a gstl I get emails every so often when there’s a spike in scams like this from APs in the area. They just tell us to the LOD so they can talk to the guest. There is no real limit expect the federal limit of 10,000 dollars a day in gift cards to prevent money laundering. I’ve perosnally stopped two elderly guests from this scam with a simple “hey it’s none of my business and you obviously don’t have to tell me but if this is because someone called you demanding money posing as the police or another type of authority it is more than likely a scam. The police will never request money over the phone and definitely will not request Visa cards” Both instances the guest opened up and told me the story and I just told them to contact the local police and inform they of the situation and to try and call their family memeber to confirm he/she is fine.

We have postage about it in our store, though to my knowledge, we haven't had anyone affected by this.

Regardless, this thread is pointless.

When I was a new hire (Sept 2016), I had a guest come through my lane buying several high value gift cards. I had never been told anything about purchase limits. It did feel a little off to me, so I asked first the cashier in the next lane over (because at the moment GSTL was with a guest) and then the GSTL. Both said that if the POS allowed it, I should just go ahead. The system let me ring out 4 Target gift cards at $1000 each per transaction. At the time I didn't know if it was the dollar amount or the number of cards that was the trigger (I now know it had to be the dollar amount because I've since had 10 or more GCs at much smaller amounts without problem). GSTL told me to go ahead and run multiple transactions so she could get what she wanted. On the third transaction, her bank stopped her. She left the store and came back later, going straight to the service desk when she returned. I don't know what exactly happened at the SD, but she wasn't able to complete the third purchase.

A couple days later, I found out through the village e-newsletter that she was victim of a scam. After she had mailed off the gift cards, she had spoken to a family member, who informed her of the scam. Police reports were filed and somehow the package was intercepted. I felt horrible that I didn't recognize what was going on to stop her. The GSTL was fired a few weeks later, no idea if it was related. And still there was absolutely NO training given regarding gift card limits, recognizing scams, etc.

Finally in the last couple weeks, I've seen a poster on the back of a door in the TSC about recognizing scams. But no conversations of any sort.

I'm 100% telling the truth. No troll attempt and no bullshit. I was concerned about my grandmother. Despite what you may think I actually do have a conscience and care about people particularly my grandparents. I genuinely felt bad and sorry for my grandmother that she could be taken advantage of so easily.

I have a conscience and care about people too. But there is a limit to how far you can go to protect adults from spending their own money.

This thread is not pointless. Everyone who reads it should alert their families to ensure no one gets scammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back