Archived Manual CAF hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formina Sage

Probably still better than you at the stacker
Staff member
Administrator
Everytime our Sr.TL-SF closes, she has the backroom guy drop manual CAFs for grocery, in order to "help the morning crew". Do any other stores do this? Does this actually do anything to help them, or are their autofills in the morning just as large as they would be otherwise? It seems like, in the one time I have dropped a manual for every grocery fillgroup, it filled about 10 carts worth of stuff and 75 percent of it was backstock. And by the time I'm done pulling them, I wouldn't have time to work them obviously, so if the autofills drop in the morning and those manuals are still sitting on the line, that's even more work for the flow team to push them out to the floor.

IMO, manual fills at night is a waste of time. Autopulls should do the trick. That srtl needs to follow best practice. let the system do it job.
Try doing that on bts. My bet is, he is trying up his logistics score?

Our closing backroom person will pull manuals for grocery when backstock is complete. The flow team likes to bowl/work the open stock portion right away before sweeping through the aisles and getting the case stock + freight done.

Manuals are bigger than autofills. If the morning autofills would have been 8 hours but you did manuals instead, the manuals would be 12 hours and the autofills would be 15 minutes (made those numbers up). So they'd spend more time working it to the floor but wouldn't have to spend much time pulling.
This is made worse due to the fact that the manuals are dropped before the truck is acknowledged, so you are pulling stuff that would otherwise flow off the truck as freight to the floor.

There is another issue with manuals that surfaces if you don't do them regularly, some nop/discontinued product will pull that wouldn't otherwise.

Finally(!), manuals can cause a fair bit of backstock in this situation due to case rounding. Manuals pull deeper than autofills/CAFs, they'll ask for things that are still quite full on the shelf. If it just needed 2 cans of soup but you only have it in case packs, it's going to ask you for that case of 48.

IMO, manual fills at night is a waste of time. Autopulls should do the trick. That srtl needs to follow best practice. let the system do it job.
Try doing that on bts. My bet is, he is trying up his logistics score?

I don't know the situation, I will say that the Senior TL needs to follow best practice as much as possible, but sometimes I would agree with his call to drop manual CAFs depending on the situation!

For example, if I were closing LOD and took a bunch of call-ins for the truck team for the upcoming truck, and I had a dayside backroom guy available, I would put him on pulling manual CAFs versus whatever else he might have been doing (zoning, empty location audits etc...) because whatever fillgroups he drops and pulls manual CAFs for will have no (or very small) Autofills... Even if they don't get worked out by us, getting them pulled will save the backroom team that much time and allow them to jump right into other batches or truck backstock (or even freight)... This will help setup the opening team for success because if you don't help the truck team at night, they will get stuck playing catchup in the morning!

A manual caf is done to fill a certain area like seasonal to fill an area with product. You do the ptm option on PDA & go for all. But, you need to do it with care. Look at the eaches, who pulling & pushing it, what time of day. You don't want to dump it on the closing teams.
The drop time should be quick, because I pull them & push them myself.

A manual caf is done to fill a certain area like seasonal to fill an area with product. You do the ptm option on PDA & go for all. But, you need to do it with care. Look at the eaches, who pulling & pushing it, what time of day. You don't want to dump it on the closing teams.
The drop time should be quick, because I pull them & push them myself.

You're talking about a PTM pull. a manual caf is dropped for different backroom fillgroups like GRC1, PETS, etc... The only options it gives you is to pull 1. All Items or 2. Ad Items Only.

You're talking about a PTM pull. a manual caf is dropped for different backroom fillgroups like GRC1, PETS, etc... The only options it gives you is to pull 1. All Items or 2. Ad Items Only.
There are issues in certain fill groups like cat litter. I have 2 pallets of litters & 4 eaches come to the floor?

There are issues in certain fill groups like cat litter. I have 2 pallets of litters & 4 eaches come to the floor?
What is the capacity for that item on the floor? (in the PDA/Item Search) You could have 1 pallet or 100 and that wouldn't change the fact that it only thinks the floor is 4 short. In that case its just an issue of the floor capacity being wrong or (more likely) simply the accumulator being off due to faked pulls/unpushed product/etc.

What is the capacity for that item on the floor? (in the PDA/Item Search) You could have 1 pallet or 100 and that wouldn't change the fact that it only thinks the floor is 4 short. In that case its just an issue of the floor capacity being wrong or (more likely) simply the accumulator being off due to faked pulls/unpushed product/etc.
That could be it. No sp or aisle are connected that cat litter.

First of all, sorry all I couldn't log in for a bit there (IE won't work, had to go with another browser)...

Anyway, The reason it pulls in the manual and not the Autofills is probably because of how the triggers were set up for the litter... First of all, remember that Manual CAFs are > Autofills which are > than CAFs... Its just how the % of the triggers are set up....

Wait, the litter you guys have in the backroom has NO ties to the floor whatsoever?
It was 2 pallets of tidy cats. A weird one in a box without a home sf location or endcap sp. I went to another store & they had it too without a sp number. It might a ad end cap w/o a sp tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back