Masks optional

At my store you are allowed a bottle of water as a cashier, it must have a lid and seal. No Starbucks cups etc.
I guess how strictly this is enforced depends on the district because we were told no drinks on the floor at my old store (regardless of if it was sealed or not). I spoke with (or was spoken to) by the SD, two ETLs, and a GSTL about this policy.

I guess how strictly this is enforced depends on the district because we were told no drinks on the floor at my old store (regardless of if it was sealed or not). I spoke with (or was spoken to) by the SD, two ETLs, and a GSTL about this policy.
We hid electronic drinks in our stock room, but i also carried a large bottle of water in my back pocket and would just stepped away to a secluded area

We hid electronic drinks in our stock room, but i also carried a large bottle of water in my back pocket and would just stepped away to a secluded area
I wish I could do that but it was there were always at least a few guests coming to the registers so I couldn't really step away to go drink water. Either way, I'm just glad to not be dealing with this anymore. I remember the ETL-SE almost made a new checkout advocate cry when he caught her drinking, so Target may want to be more lenient with this considering how short-staffed most stores are.

I wish I could do that but it was there were always at least a few guests coming to the registers so I couldn't really step away to go drink water. Either way, I'm just glad to not be dealing with this anymore. I remember the ETL-SE almost made a new checkout advocate cry when he caught her drinking, so Target may want to be more lenient with this considering how short-staffed most stores are.
I think it’s a dumb rule how no drinks can be there at checkout lanes, As long as they aren’t prone to spilling and are responsible, It shouldn’t matter. Target always has had stupid ass rules in place and it’s no wonder why people quit or decide to break them constantly.

Welcome to Target, were the right hand hasn't even met the left hand much know what it's doing.
I've been with Target for a long time and I've never seen direct from corporate communication walked back in a few hours.

Why would someone have a conference call a few hours after the release and say such a thing?

District or store level communication can be poor but typically if it's a whole company release direct from corporate, you can bet it's true and has been thought through and planned.

I got caught once by my ETL-SE unfortunately and I stopped trying after that. I was drinking at my register since I was an advocate (forgot the exact term) and I wanted to walk out of the store so badly at that point.
OSHA basically states that an employer can not deny you a source of water while working. Denying water bottles when the fountains worked was technically allowed. With the water fountains off they can not deny you water. It’s a major fine from OSHA. I had to bring this up years ago to our store manager when our fountains were out of commission for a few days

OSHA basically states that an employer can not deny you a source of water while working. Denying water bottles when the fountains worked was technically allowed. With the water fountains off they can not deny you water. It’s a major fine from OSHA. I had to bring this up years ago to our store manager when our fountains were out of commission for a few days
I'll definitely keep that in mind and I appreciate it since I genuinely didn't know that was an OSHA fine. I just assumed that since I spoke to so many members of leadership about this policy that they were right and the SD even said the store gets fined if team members are caught drinking on the floor.

I'll definitely keep that in mind and I appreciate it since I genuinely didn't know that was an OSHA fine. I just assumed that since I spoke to so many members of leadership about this policy that they were right and the SD even said the store gets fined if team members are caught drinking on the floor.
Lol what?

I’d love to know who they think is going to fine them. Local health ordinances don’t supersede OSHA. Water bottles especially during COVID aren’t going to be dinged (or even checked) by steritech.

they do need to be covered properly but that’s about it. You can’t have a Starbucks cup but you can have a standard water bottle

Hell our store actually gives us single use water bottles cause alotta us kept having heat illnesses from not drinking in the summer. So now they make sure we have easily accessible water that's not in the breakroom

My store requisitions water out like crazy. There are always cases of it for TMs in the break room, receiving and the OPU hold space. The downside is that TMs are lazy and the empties end up all of the place. They're all over the shelves, the backroom and even on Uboats on the line.

Lol what?

I’d love to know who they think is going to fine them. Local health ordinances don’t supersede OSHA. Water bottles especially during COVID aren’t going to be dinged (or even checked) by steritech.

they do need to be covered properly but that’s about it. You can’t have a Starbucks cup but you can have a standard water bottle
Just curious, how did you go about bringing the issue up to your store manager? I've heard some horror stories about leadership retaliating if a team member reports something, whether it's to OSHA or calling the hotline.

As to who is going to fine them, I have no idea. My conversations with them were quick and they moved on to whatever else they needed to tend to after the conversation ended.

My store requisitions water out like crazy. There are always cases of it for TMs in the break room, receiving and the OPU hold space. The downside is that TMs are lazy and the empties end up all of the place. They're all over the shelves, the backroom and even on Uboats on the line.
I'm not 100% sure about this but I think the downside you listed was why my old store's leadership was so strict about no drinks on the floor.

Back