Mentor question

I’ve been working on becoming a TL for awhile. My ETL was working with me as a mentor, then they moved to another store. He, “M,” said he’d continue to be my mentor. Our SD said this is better because it’s preferable that a mentor is not one of your supervisors.

However, I have texted M twice, tried to reach him at his new store, and sent an email. No response. It’s extremely frustrating. Any advice?

Maybe he has coronavirus and is out? Ask your SD if they've heard from the person.

You never know what someone else is going through. Id say try and keep in touch with them, but you really shouldnt rely on one mentor, work with as many people as possible, learn from multiple leadership styles and experiences. That way if one is unavailable another may be able to help. Also networking is the biggest advantage for anyone trying to work there way up, too many people, myself included, relied on hard work trying to move up.

Having a mentor from another store doesn’t really work, IMO... all conversations that you have with this person need to take place on the clock, and it’s not really possible for you two to meet up while you’re on the clock since your mentor would have to come to your store. I would definitely recommend finding another mentor, tell your SD that you are not getting a response from your current mentor.

Back