Archived Messed up and im under 90 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, so I'm a salesfloor member and the other day they asked me to cover electronics lunch because i was the only on working hardlines. It was my first time doing so and while covering I was trying to help a ton of guests. One lady came up to the register and i scanned her items bagged them and while i was bagging i saw her use her card to make the payment so i handed her the bag and then she walked away, somehow during this time i wasnt paying attention and she walked away without the transaction going through. When she walked away i didnt take the second to look at the screen and went on to help the next guest who was asking for help with getting a game. When i came back that's when i noticed the total page for the last transaction was still there. The total purchase was $43. I know this is a big mistake on my part and i should be paying more attention and i have no clue what happened during the time that allowed me to make such a mistake. I must have just been worried about helping other guests that needed me. I don't know though. I understand though that ultimately it is my fault and was wondering what the consequences of this would be. I was a seasonal member kept on but still under 90 days, I really enjoy working here and have been working hard id say. I never came in late/miss and always pick up shifts or extend.

Since they were cheap items, they are probably something AP would not look into if counts are off.

So you can either snitch on yourself and risk getting fired
Or say anything, pretend you thought the payment went though and never hear about it again

I've had that happen a few times because the register locks up and I have to suspend and redo it but I never wasn't able to get the payment. Not really sure how that works. I would have chased after her myself. I've gotten in the habit of letting them know that the payment needs to process so it will be a second (if they're being antsy or something). I'd let management know so that shows atleast you're taking responsibility and maybe there is something they can do, maybe the machine read it and they can process it still. Not really sure how that works.

If it happened a few days ago and you didn't say anything then, it's not going to do you much good to say something now. As an AP team member I'd be questioning why you're coming to me now with this information, and not the day the incident occurred.

If AP already knows what happened, they likely won't say anything to you right away. Especially if they think you purposely gave the merchandise away. They'll just be watching your transactions like a hawk (especially since you're seasonal), and you might be on the "potential internal theft" list for awhile. I've got a couple of cashiers whose transactions I research every day because of stuff like this.

If you're an honest TM and nothing fishy happens in the future, you should be fine though.

Thanks for the responses and yeah if they terminate me or just watch me its my fault for letting this happen. I'ts something I won't let happen again if they keep me on though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back