Archived Metered Unload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain this process to me? We are moving to a metered unload soon and the majority of the flow team will be coming in at 8am with a few unloaders in at 6am. There will be no sales floor team members until the closers come in so Flow and process teams will be answering calls and doing abandons and fast service. I just am having a hard time picturing how this works in my head. I know that they are to unload 1 panel and then push that panel and keep going but how does the rest of the day look for those of you that are on this process? Also, how does this effect other teams such as backroom, planogram, and price change?

Is this a thing that actually happens at stores? Do I have to worry about it happening at mine? And I thought something like 7am unload happening would be the worst Target could do.

I see this really impacting process teams' productivity unless their hours are increased to cover for the lack of salesfloor. And if any of those teams slack off on things like calls for backup or answering the phone, its going to hurt the rest of them. Also probably screws with CAFs if flow's pushing from 8a-12p or later?

Is this a thing that actually happens at stores? Do I have to worry about it happening at mine? And I thought something like 7am unload happening would be the worst Target could do.

I see this really impacting process teams' productivity unless their hours are increased to cover for the lack of salesfloor. And if any of those teams slack off on things like calls for backup or answering the phone, its going to hurt the rest of them. Also probably screws with CAFs if flow's pushing from 8a-12p or later?

We already help with calls, fast service, and cart runs since we only have 1 person in HL and 1 in SL but I have a feeling this is going to be so much worse.

I have heard of other stores doing this process but I don't know anyone at them to ask how it works. That's why I was hoping someone on here was doing it and could explain.

Also probably screws with CAFs if flow's pushing from 8a-12p or later?
How does this screw with the CAFs?

If it screws with anyone, it's IS.. I can't possibly see how you can scan and do this process.

How does this screw with the CAFs?

If it screws with anyone, it's IS.. I can't possibly see how you can scan and do this process.
I'm not actually sure, maybe some weirdness where backroom would be pulling stuff that's just come off the truck that day but hasn't been pushed (if flow is having a bad day)? I don't know enough about the backroom to know if that's a thing that can happen. But yeah, instocks would get wonky I bet. Makes me antsy just thinking about it.

As long as the accumulator is reasonably accurate, it shouldn't pull anything that came in on the truck (unless the truck didn't have enough to satisfy the accumulator). CAFs usually start dropping at 11 and flow team isn't always done by then either.

I imagine it makes everything go at a snails pace. Slowly unload truck, slowly backstock it all. Means that other processes get slowed down as well.

This doesn't make any sense unless they load the truck by department. I bet the 6am team won't be done pushing the first panel by the time the 8am team comes.

The amount of clutter and...well....chaos...generated by this would be insane. So much clutter on the floor. You have your flatbed of push. Your tub of backstock. Your cage or shopping carts of trash. Guests asking if they can have boxes. If something is in stock. Leaving your wheels for front service backup. We do PFRESH like this, and it's only 8-10 pallets. And it's a mess trying to do this during business hours. There's no way this is possible with a 2400 piece truck with 200 repacks.

Unless Target radically changes the way trucks are built, this is a terrible terrible process.

The amount of clutter and...well....chaos...generated by this would be insane. So much clutter on the floor. You have your flatbed of push. Your tub of backstock. Your cage or shopping carts of trash. Guests asking if they can have boxes. If something is in stock. Leaving your wheels for front service backup. We do PFRESH like this, and it's only 8-10 pallets. And it's a mess trying to do this during business hours. There's no way this is possible with a 2400 piece truck with 200 repacks.

Unless Target radically changes the way trucks are built, this is a terrible terrible process.
Oh god the repacks... I bet most flow TMs who work repacks would lose their shit if they could only sort a few at a time, push them, then repeat.

Can anyone explain this process to me?

I just went to another store to see how this runs because my store is going to this process as well.

Your unload goes to the flow TL, 1 unloader, 1 person for pallets and keeping the line moving, and 1 person on either side of the line at 6am. At 8 am, your team comes in. The flow team is broke up into sections of the store (1 person for SPRT, 3 for GRC, 2 for BEDS, whatever really works for your store) You come retrieve your flat for your area, and you work it. Once you complete it, you back-stock it, and then go back to the line until the unload is complete and you have pushed and back-stock everything in your area. If you go 100% into this system, your BR and INS team basically go away, they are morphed into the flow team. I can explain more to this later on, I need to read over the paperwork to be able to explain it properly.

(We have 3 guys who breakout our repacks now, they are going to continue to do that when we switch. They will have to breakout in the BR, but other than that, we really are not changing that)

How does this screw with the CAFs? If it screws with anyone, it's IS.. I can't possibly see how you can scan and do this process.

After the truck, you are expected to complete 4x4 walks for your area and then shoot RSCH for your area. Everyone is supposed to learn how to RSCH. Then you go pull your own RSCH. This is typically where everyone gets worried.

After 4x4 and RSCH, you are expected to set any SPL's for your area. Since the flow team and SF are basically merging into 1 team, the SF TM's that are coming into dayside with our Flow Team are going to mostly own the SP's.

The argument for this, as it was told to me, is it improves guest exp. because you should always have at least 1 person in every part of the store from 8am until at least 3pm, because everyone works at least a 7 hour shift. Moreover, if you have the same people working the same areas of the store every day, the idea is that you will have '"experts" in all of the different areas who know in detail about every area. It also "decreases on the clutter" because instead of having a big flow team taking over whole sections of the store at a time, you now have much smaller groups spread out.

Sorry for the format of this, was trying to scroll up and down and answer some questions I saw. I will try and answer anymore questions if I can.

Coming from logistics I can see a process like this working if executed correctly. The unload process at Target never made much sense to me. I think it would be more efficient to have a smaller team unload the truck, stage it by area, and then have the rest of the flow team come in later to push it. Due to space constraints this wouldn't be possible at every store though.

Having people own certain areas sounds great. But how are all these people going to pull the batches with no PDA?

Larger volume stores would have difficulty implementing something like this.

Coming from logistics I can see a process like this working if executed correctly. The unload process at Target never made much sense to me. I think it would be more efficient to have a smaller team unload the truck, stage it by area, and then have the rest of the flow team come in later to push it. Due to space constraints this wouldn't be possible at every store though.

Having people own certain areas sounds great. But how are all these people going to pull the batches with no PDA?

Larger volume stores would have difficulty implementing something like this.

I do not personally know of any higher volume stores doing this, I am a lower volume store and i have only heard of lower volume stores so far. Some stores mydevices have the ability to pull batches. My store does not yet, we can only back-stock and pull for guest

I like this, but don't see the work being divided equally. Hopefully it's a certain number of dpci's per TM, but some dpci's are easier or less quantity than others. Packaging also varies. Guest interruption will also vary. Abandons will vary by department, but will probably stay the same amount they are now.

I just went to another store to see how this runs because my store is going to this process as well.

Your unload goes to the flow TL, 1 unloader, 1 person for pallets and keeping the line moving, and 1 person on either side of the line at 6am. At 8 am, your team comes in. The flow team is broke up into sections of the store (1 person for SPRT, 3 for GRC, 2 for BEDS, whatever really works for your store) You come retrieve your flat for your area, and you work it. Once you complete it, you back-stock it, and then go back to the line until the unload is complete and you have pushed and back-stock everything in your area. If you go 100% into this system, your BR and INS team basically go away, they are morphed into the flow team. I can explain more to this later on, I need to read over the paperwork to be able to explain it properly.

(We have 3 guys who breakout our repacks now, they are going to continue to do that when we switch. They will have to breakout in the BR, but other than that, we really are not changing that)

After the truck, you are expected to complete 4x4 walks for your area and then shoot RSCH for your area. Everyone is supposed to learn how to RSCH. Then you go pull your own RSCH. This is typically where everyone gets worried.

After 4x4 and RSCH, you are expected to set any SPL's for your area. Since the flow team and SF are basically merging into 1 team, the SF TM's that are coming into dayside with our Flow Team are going to mostly own the SP's.

The argument for this, as it was told to me, is it improves guest exp. because you should always have at least 1 person in every part of the store from 8am until at least 3pm, because everyone works at least a 7 hour shift. Moreover, if you have the same people working the same areas of the store every day, the idea is that you will have '"experts" in all of the different areas who know in detail about every area. It also "decreases on the clutter" because instead of having a big flow team taking over whole sections of the store at a time, you now have much smaller groups spread out.

Sorry for the format of this, was trying to scroll up and down and answer some questions I saw. I will try and answer anymore questions if I can.
Thanks so much!

I was told our BR team would be staying in the BR. They will pull the autofills, manuals, POG batches, do the audit, SDA, and everything else they currently do. We are not allowed to use MyDevices in the backroom because of all the errors they were causing.

Also, as far as the 4x4s go we aren't changing the way we do that either. Right now the entire store goes over to whatever is 4x4ing that day and completing them. We want whoever is in that aisle to research but everyone isn't trained yet so the instocks team is going behind and shooting.

So it sounds like we are only starting with half of what the whole process really is. I hope it works.

What happens to the plano team. Currently we set all pogs, revs and sp. Are they also part of the 8am process. What region is this happening in. I'm in r200. Haven't heard of this hear.

Thanks so much!

I was told our BR team would be staying in the BR. They will pull the autofills, manuals, POG batches, do the audit, SDA, and everything else they currently do. We are not allowed to use MyDevices in the backroom because of all the errors they were causing.

Also, as far as the 4x4s go we aren't changing the way we do that either. Right now the entire store goes over to whatever is 4x4ing that day and completing them. We want whoever is in that aisle to research but everyone isn't trained yet so the instocks team is going behind and shooting.

So it sounds like we are only starting with half of what the whole process really is. I hope it works.

Funny enough, that is kinda how we are doing it as well. My BR team is actually going to be doing the majority of the backstock as well.
What happens to the plano team. Currently we set all pogs, revs and sp. Are they also part of the 8am process. What region is this happening in. I'm in r200. Haven't heard of this hear.

I am in r300. Our plano team comes in at 6, pushes truck for a hour, and start's plano at 7. They also do not do SP's, those have always been SF. In our system, they are going to stay just the same as now.

Funny enough, that is kinda how we are doing it as well. My BR team is actually going to be doing the majority of the backstock as well.

I am in r300. Our plano team comes in at 6, pushes truck for a hour, and start's plano at 7. They also do not do SP's, those have always been SF. In our system, they are going to stay just the same as now.
I wonder how the process are in each region. Its seems they change per region.

Oh yeah, our BR team will be doing all BS too. I forgot about that. Their role really doesn't change as far as I can tell except with the addition of manuals.

I am in r300 too.

I pretty much do this for HIPA, LUGG, and SEA. I don't research it though. It takes about 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back