New unload process

I came across this post on Reddit. Is anyone piloting this process. How is it going? Any word on company wide rollout?
I got the email on this a month or so back. It’s at t557 in oconomowoc wi. They have to pick the freight in order by store and throw it on their mezzanine. Then it goes to what they call the “bot field” which is three levels high and has robots sorting it so it can be packed into the vessels in the right order so that they can be sent to stores in order. It’s designed to take less time to offload store side, but will create a lot more work dc side. I believe they are only implementing this at a store currently, so who knows how it will scale.

They've been testing it in Receive Centers in multiple DCs for a few years. They call them cab cubes. Its improves ship load accuracy. Every item picked is loaded and attached to its own specific cab cube which are each then attached to the MCL.

The cab cubes are then double stacked in the trailer and either go straight to a receive center to be broken down and shipped to smaller city stores, or straight to the smaller stores themselves, which need fast unloads because of trailer parking constraints in major cities. A full trailer can be unloaded in like 30 minutes.

The pull to ship process in the DC is longer but the accuracy of shipments is way higher, like 97% or something ridiculous and anything that's not on the appt gets swept back to the DCs. This was suppose to the future of all target shipments but hasn't made it that far.

I got the email on this a month or so back. It’s at t557 in oconomowoc wi. They have to pick the freight in order by store and throw it on their mezzanine. Then it goes to what they call the “bot field” which is three levels high and has robots sorting it so it can be packed into the vessels in the right order so that they can be sent to stores in order. It’s designed to take less time to offload store side, but will create a lot more work dc side. I believe they are only implementing this at a store currently, so who knows how it will scale.
Let’s see RDC do that

Roll out that technology all ready

They've been testing it in Receive Centers in multiple DCs for a few years. They call them cab cubes. Its improves ship load accuracy. Every item picked is loaded and attached to its own specific cab cube which are each then attached to the MCL.

The cab cubes are then double stacked in the trailer and either go straight to a receive center to be broken down and shipped to smaller city stores, or straight to the smaller stores themselves, which need fast unloads because of trailer parking constraints in major cities. A full trailer can be unloaded in like 30 minutes.

The pull to ship process in the DC is longer but the accuracy of shipments is way higher, like 97% or something ridiculous and anything that's not on the appt gets swept back to the DCs. This was suppose to the future of all target shipments but hasn't made it that far.
It’s a work in progress. I asked my leadership and they said the dc I mentioned before, is up to 3 stores. Not sure the timeframe on the rest of the stores they service or feedback. I believe they are the only rdc doing this currently.

Roll out that technology already. Someone said that store # has good quality stats
It’s not just tech, it’s a complete transformation of the sorter, wing etc. it is quite the undertaking to retrofit a dc to accommodate the physical footprint of the new systems.

I believe it's still based on custom blocks. Freight just comes pre-sorted by the DC into tubs rather than randomly tossed in the trailer. I imagine stores that are piloting this were told to redo their custom blocks ahead of time to better take advantage of the new process.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone who is currently at a store with this process.
My store has been piloting this process and it has been a nightmare. You are correct that is based on custom blocks and the idea is to have come pre-sorted in the cubes rather than just tossed in a trailer. The issue is, that the cubes are not properly sorted most of the time (chem is in with food, toys with style etc) and we still have to sort certain cubes from these trucks. (Default cubes where they can literally just throw anything into that cube and call it a day)

Back