Archived Miles Walked per Shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after recently getting an iPhone 6, I have been looking at the distance I walk on days I work compared to my days off. On my days off I typically walk about a mile, but on days I work in grocery it is always over five miles. Yesterday I was just doing CAF pulls my whole 6.5 hour shift, and I walked 8.4 miles, well over a mile every hour.

For those who have a Fitbit or some kind of pedometer, how far do you typically walk in a shift?

So after recently getting an iPhone 6, I have been looking at the distance I walk on days I work compared to my days off. On my days off I typically walk about a mile, but on days I work in grocery it is always over five miles. Yesterday I was just doing CAF pulls my whole 6.5 hour shift, and I walked 8.4 miles, well over a mile every hour.

For those who have a Fitbit or some kind of pedometer, how far do you typically walk in a shift?

http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.p...76-steps-inside-target-in-the-last-year.2496/

A thread with a few replies on distances walked.

Being in AP, I actually walk quite a bit. I make a lap every 10-15 minutes and if I'm following someone, who knows where the hell I'll go and how far/long it will go on! I try not to be in the office too much and will stand at the door most of the time when I'm not making laps, I love the job though.

I used an UP by Jambone to monitor my activity. At Target my average night was 16 miles of walking. I was an ETL Log, no flow TL for a while, at a 2 story AA store. I lost 45 lbs in 3 months from walking that much and not eating much since I slept during the day.

Days off - walked 2 miles.

This week I walked 30,762 steps in one day, or about 13.05 miles. A bit over three times the recommended daily average. Daily average for me is 6.31 miles.

I'm a PA in market, I wore one once. In a 7.75 hour shift, not including breaks or my lunch I walked 10 miles.

Depends on the shift and what I have to do. Probably ends up 10 miles for me. I don't want to spend money on a Fitbit though.

If you have a smart phone there are free pedometer apps! Although they may not be 100 percent accurate, they'll give you an estimate.

I am easily 5-12 miles depending on shift.

Pedometer data. Fitbit data is similar.

When I'm in CA mode, 10 to 15 miles easily. FA mode, not so much.

I've measured mine before out of curiosity. 11 miles on an eight hour shift out on the sales floor!

My record is about 19k steps (includes my ~1 mile walk from the bus stop). I forget the mile estimate. That's with my phone. I have a fitbit now, but yesterday was my first day back at work and I eventually realized that folding might be throwing the data off so now I'm gonna be hanging it off my pants at work or putting it in my pocket. In a short shift I'd say I average about 6k steps.

Oh and I'd say 13 or 14k is typical of an 8 hour shift day. The 16-19k days are outliers. I haven't really thought about the difference between those days and the average days, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
A typical day would consist of me walking half a mile to the bus stop, which brings me to a community college I take classes at (and I do quite a bit of walking there). Then I take the bus from school to the city I work, and I have to walk about a mile to get to target. In a typical shift, I walk about 15,000 steps.

Not complaining, if I didn't do all this walking my weight would probably catch up to me.

Live update: I just passed 10k and I work until 10.

Depends on the floor I'm on. If I'm on the level with guest services, I'll do a lot of walking, since it's on the opposite side of the store, get there, help 18 guests, go back to my CAF for 3 minutes, repeat. On those days, I can log up to 25-29K. If I'm on the other level, it's generally only 16K.

The one day I did 29K, I took my dog on a long walk after. I started heading back, realized I was at 36K, took a detour so I could cross 40K. I felt so David Sedaris.

My phone goes by GPS as well as steps, since steps aren't always accurate.

I walk 10-14 miles a shift. In hardlines, I walk more. In hardlines, I do more guest carry outs and guest servicing. My shifts are usually 7 hours.

Regardless, if you're not a cashier, you don't stay in one place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back