Archived My best friend got written up and told next time they'll fire her

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some advice for her.

She was told she's been late and coached 3 times already for being late. Today she was told that she's been written up this time, next time she'll be fired. Reason TL told her because she's called in 3 times already in this YEAR plus coming in late.

She comes later than me at 4.30AM along with some other more TMs
But she says that when she gets there at work exactly at 4:30, the TL is not longer there and she would ring the bell and then they take forever to open the door for her, when she clocks in its already 4:37 or something.

From what I get it the TL wants to let them all in at the same time, and not wait for her.

Can she be saved from this? How long does it take for her file to be clean again?

She should speak to the store manager.

If the TL is not allowing her in the store, then her lateness is on the TL, not her.

Have her text the store manager when she arrives and is not allowed in. The text would have a time stamp.

Why was she not punch correcting every time they made her wait to open the door? That is how you protect yourself from this exact issue. Cause they can and do go and view tape. You should also not be cutting it that close to your start time either.

Yeah I don't punch in if no one is in TSC to open the door for me and I get in too late to punch in normally. I do a punch correction and select the 'other' option so I can let my ETL (or whoever approves my correction) know that I couldn't get in until whatever time it was. I'm on camera. I wanna see them try to coach me for that lmao

I started doing punch corrections since we had one ETL who was a lazy fuck who left me outside for 20+ minutes one morning. Start at 5:30am but ten to six he waltzes up and opened the door to let a bunch of overnight people out, "Oh I was waiting for them to all get punched out."

It was in January and temps were in the teens. Not a happy camper.

She should speak to the store manager.

If the TL is not allowing her in the store, then her lateness is on the TL, not her.

Have her text the store manager when she arrives and is not allowed in. The text would have a time stamp.

During our Remodel I had to do a punch correction everyday, as I was forgotten about at the door (I came in at 1am while everyone else came in at 10pm, which was my plano team (im signing)... What a cluster fuck that week was,

/*HER

I need some advice for her.

She was told she's been late and coached 3 times already for being late. Today she was told that she's been written up this time, next time she'll be fired. Reason TL told her because she's called in 3 times already in this YEAR plus coming in late.

She comes later than me at 4.30AM along with some other more TMs
But she says that when she gets there at work exactly at 4:30, the TL is not longer there and she would ring the bell and then they take forever to open the door for her, when she clocks in its already 4:37 or something.

From what I get it the TL wants to let them all in at the same time, and not wait for her.

Can she be saved from this? How long does it take for her file to be clean again?
At my store our log srt tl demands that you arrive five minutes before your shift. He says that if you show up right on time ( 6 am) he has to wait at the door then run to the time clock to clock ppl in etc and do the huddle. So he tells all of us that we need to get there at 5 till or sooner. I usually do. However, there have been a few times I have been right on time meaning walked up to the door at 6. He always has a smart remark to make . Ie, Didn't I ask you guys to be here early...or how many time do I have to ask etc. The issue with this ...is its Bs. If my schedule says 6 then it says 6. They cant enforce this. On the other hand I can see some of his point. However if its that big of an issue schedule people for 555am. So, if you are on time and having to wait for the door then you are on time. There are security cameras that watch the front door. I am assuming they have a date and time stamp on them...so they could verify that your friend ( OP) was there on time just waiting. I would advise your friend to try to get there a few minutes early at least that would solve part of the issue.

Why was she not punch correcting every time they made her wait to open the door? That is how you protect yourself from this exact issue. Cause they can and do go and view tape. You should also not be cutting it that close to your start time either.

For shifts when the store is closed it is best to show up a little early. Leaders are not supposed to just sit by the door and let people in. They have to work too. Our ETL Log is good at opening the doors at midnight then again at 4am and 6am respectively.

However our other TL takes at least 5 minutes to get the door bc she is so into her work that people show up early to adjust for her slowness is getting to the door.

There is also a way to beat the system. Dont clock in, do a mytime self service punch correction on your first break (You have to do the punch correction ASAP though or else you may be coached for working off the clock. You can also clock in and try to change the time later but that may be denied if they think its your fault.

Remember if you clock in six minutes late or later it goes on your attendance record.

The issue with this ...is its Bs. If my schedule says 6 then it says 6. They cant enforce this

Good point, the other thing is dont forget you can clock in 5 min early without approval. If you show up at 5 55 and get in early, clock in right away. Dont wait until six.

As long as you dont hit OT you are okay.

So your friend is not really in imminent danger of being fired. The TL is trying to intimidate her into arriving early because it makes that TLs life easier. But there is a process to be followed and having one TL say "next time you'll be fired" is not that process (we had an ETL-LOG who used to incorrectly threaten TMs that way as well).

As multiple other people have said, the best course of action is to completely skip the timeclock and go straight to the computer to do a punch correction for her scheduled start time or whenever she gets to the door (whichever is later). Put in the comments, "I was at the door at x time as scheduled, I rang the bell and had to wait several minutes before being let into the building by [TL name]."

The way I think of it is if I am scheduled for 6am that means I am ready to start my work at 6am, not walk in the door at 6. At my store there is a bunch of us waiting to be let in from @3:50-55 am and we all start at 4. I think she needs to start getting there a little earlier so she has time to walk to the office, put stuff in a locker (if used) and then clock in. imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back