Archived My FIrst Week at Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. So this week was my first week working at Target. I was hired as hardlines. I got my first pay check as well, since my orientation was last Friday and I got lucky with how it landed right at the end of the pay cycle. Below is how my first week went, if any of you are interested.

On my first day, they had me doing cashier. It was a pretty bad 4 hours. I was constantly asking other team members for help and saying "Sorry, this is my first day" to customers. The person who was supposed to train me came back and forth asking how I was doing but wasn't as involved as I had hoped. Prior to Target, I had absolutely no retail experience so cashiering was new to me and made me nervous. On top of that, I'm an introvert so having to talk to people for 4 hours was not fun. I didn't get any RED cards but that's because I was too shy to even pester the customers. Other team members that I've talked to say that they don't really push the RED card when they cashier, so I guess my store is more lenient about it? By the end of my shift, I had learned a lot and am not scared to do back-up, so I guess my store's strategy of throwing newbies to the wolves is effective.

On my second day, I finally got to do hardlines. I was put in market. My trainer was awkward and boring, which made the shift unpleasant, but hardlines is pretty easy. I kept forgetting what the myDevice passcode was but I finally memorized it. All I did was zone and do reshop.

On my third and final day of the week, I was put in health and beauty. I got stuck doing back-up cashier at the beginning of my shift and then I met my trainer, who I recognized from middle school. I had no idea she even worked there, so it was a pleasant surprise. The shift went really well because I felt comfortable with my trainer. This day was definitely my favorite day so far.

My second week of training is next week, but I'm only scheduled for two days. I can already see my schedule for the week after that though, and I will have 35 hours (much more than I thought I would get). Overall, Target has been decent so far! I hope it continues to be bearable.

Greetings and salutations.

Welcome to The Break Room.

I started as hardlines. Responding to back up can be a pain. Be quick on your feet and give your 100% even if it's a rough day and your leaders will notice even if you begin feeling like they don't, which can be frustrating if you work with the kind of people who like to chill out and move at half speed. If LOD says to hit the pull line, don't take 10 minutes to finally go grab one. You will learn where certain products are pretty quick.

Congrats! Just remember customers are called guests. Leadership may cringe if you use the word customer on the walki.

This..I really wish my store would not yell it over the walkie every time we get a redcard..I always immediately turn my walkie to near silent when they do until they are done talking about it

Yeah and my store recognizes whoever got the REDcard right in front of them...I'm a Cashier and if I get recognized it's right in my lane....right next to a bunch of other Guests who might be potential REDcard applicants...classy Target.

My number one piece of advice....get good shoes. Vans or Converse are not shoes. I hear so many people complaining about the pain they're in. YOUNG people too, barely in their 20s, and they walk like they have a bad hip. I get myself shoes from Red Wing. Expensive, but cheaper in the long run. I haven't had to buy shoes in 6 years, and I don't get ANY back or foot pain.

Good luck and I hope you have enjoy working there, try to have fun and you won't go crazy.

Oh and I turn the walkie down to low whenever a redcard is issued because the E-GSTL screams into the mic a congratulations which is annoying and also embarrassing.
To this day I'm still not sure if she is serious or joking when she does it.

Last edited:
I wish RC recognition was done differently. Honestly no one gives a shit except maybe the LOD or your GE ETL.

This haha. Everytime im like fantastic good job. I should start over the walkie. OMG Backroom TM just finished all his pulls on time...great job!!!!!!!!!! Susie Q just pushed that CAF out in 5 minutes, what an awesome job!!!!!!

What possibly pro is there in doing that over the walkie. Just bring their names up at morning and evening huddle.

Thanks for the advice and for welcoming me to the board.

I have yet to hear any team member get recognized for issuing a REDcard over the walkie, so either they don't do that at my store or I haven't been there long enough to hear it. Something that annoys me about my store is that the room where the walkies and MyDevices are is usually locked. How exactly am I supposed to do my job if access to that room is so restricted?

Welcome to The Break Room!

My number one piece of advice....get good shoes. Vans or Converse are not shoes. I hear so many people complaining about the pain they're in. YOUNG people too, barely in their 20s, and they walk like they have a bad hip. I get myself shoes from Red Wing. Expensive, but cheaper in the long run. I haven't had to buy shoes in 6 years, and I don't get ANY back or foot pain.

This. Or if you don't have the funds to buy new shoes, get yourself some gel insoles. Make sure you have enough arch support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back