Nationwide Entire Store Price Audit?

Yup, i just don't know what our cashiers SOP is, so i try to Make it easy and right from my perspective being in tech. We also get a ton of scams so I'm used to dealing with that as anouther level of scrutiny. So many nefarious people think the tech desk isn't up on the latest scam when atleast in my store we are the hardest to get something by us.

There's no need to make a big deal out of it. Guest advocates are trained to make it right. Whenever a guest questions whether or not the front end will adjust the price for them, I make it easy. If it's an old ad sign, I rip the sign off and tell the guest to show it to them. I've even dug in and taken labels out of the strip and told the guest to show it to the cashier. If neither of those will work, I just radio the service desk and let them know that a guest will be coming up with X and the price should be changed to Y. The last is completely unnecessary other that to put the guest at ease.

Yup, i just don't know what our cashiers SOP is, so i try to Make it easy and right from my perspective being in tech. We also get a ton of scams so I'm used to dealing with that as anouther level of scrutiny. So many nefarious people think the tech desk isn't up on the latest scam when atleast in my store we are the hardest to get something by us.
Stop trying so hard to protect the company. Your job is to assist guests and make sure they are taken care of. Yes obviously make your asset protection teams aware of anything that seems off but your main job is not to protect Target. Don’t worry about what things guests may be doing. Your AP teams will handle that and if there is something you need to be aware of or they need you to change they will definitely let you know about it. But number one rule in customer service is to not assume the guest is doing something shady or trying to scam the company.

If I do a Price change sign label error in training mode does that still generate an audit for the item? That is... could I create an audit without having to actually ring a purchase?

Hey i just want to give people the benefit of the doubt. Hell its not my money , i love giving away money that isn't mine. I've even given the 300 dollar vacuums for 100 cause they were in a locked cabinet that way. I also don't want to waste the guests time so i help out how i can.

Giving away money is a form of theft. The easier you can make it for the scammers the more they will bleed the store dry, and then people will be crying about hours and the quota system during the yearly reviews keeping merit raises too low.

There is also the ethical thing of it being wrong to help scammers steal.

There's no need to make a big deal out of it. Guest advocates are trained to make it right. Whenever a guest questions whether or not the front end will adjust the price for them, I make it easy. If it's an old ad sign, I rip the sign off and tell the guest to show it to them. I've even dug in and taken labels out of the strip and told the guest to show it to the cashier. If neither of those will work, I just radio the service desk and let them know that a guest will be coming up with X and the price should be changed to Y. The last is completely unnecessary other that to put the guest at ease.
If a guest brings me a sign or label they've removed from the shelf, my radar instantly goes off. I have no idea where they got that from or if the item was actually in that place and now nobody can check or correct. Removing labels totally doesn't put anyone at ease or fix a potential problem... it now leaves a missing label for those who are filling the shelves or looking for a product and it's pretty much a guarantee that it won't be replaced anytime soon.

Giving away money is a form of theft. The easier you can make it for the scammers the more they will bleed the store dry, and then people will be crying about hours and the quota system during the yearly reviews keeping merit raises too low.

Eh. Who cares? That’s not reality. Theft isn’t much of an impact on hours and reviews, because as we’ve seen in the past two years hours and review percentages go down even if you blow sales out of the water and the company makes more income than ever.
AP’s job is to protect assets, but even they don’t have much to do to prevent theft anymore. Target has made it clear that our job is to make the guest happy and not worry about them scamming or trying to get one over on us. They’ve said that repeatedly. Anyone doing anything more than that is just applying their own moral code to their job which is now in direct conflict with that Target expects. It’s not the old days of someone stealing from the store being personal because the store was run by one person. Target is a giant corporation and they’ve decided they don’t give much of a shit about it.

Eh. Who cares? That’s not reality. Theft isn’t much of an impact on hours and reviews, because as we’ve seen in the past two years hours and review percentages go down even if you blow sales out of the water and the company makes more income than ever.
AP’s job is to protect assets, but even they don’t have much to do to prevent theft anymore. Target has made it clear that our job is to make the guest happy and not worry about them scamming or trying to get one over on us. They’ve said that repeatedly. Anyone doing anything more than that is just applying their own moral code to their job which is now in direct conflict with that Target expects. It’s not the old days of someone stealing from the store being personal because the store was run by one person. Target is a giant corporation and they’ve decided they don’t give much of a shit about it.
For the most part, you are correct. My AP seems almost apathetic when I have reported things to them. Not always, but often enough where if I see something after the fact I likely won't even tell them unless it's egregious.

Forget going to Guest Services to show them how one of theirs took a return with a Universal Threads tag on it when the item is A New Day, or worse, a brand we don't even carry. And often the item is clearly worn. They DO NOT CARE.

Last edited:
^^ Yep, I really don't. That happens so infrequently given the amount of clothing returns in a day that I really can't muster up an iota of care.

For the most part, you are correct. My AP seems almost apathetic when I have reported things to them. Not always, but often enough where if I see something after the fact I likely won't even tell them unless it's egregious.

Forget going to Guest Services to show them how one of theirs took a return with a Univeral Threads tag on it when the item is A New Day, or worse, and brand we don't even carry. And often the item is clearly worn. They DO NOT CARE.
God that fucking drove me nuts.

"You let [insert scam here] go through. You didn't [action that stops scam]. Please do not do that again. Ever. And ever."

"Ohhhhhh, I never thought of that."

Really??? It's not rocket science.

[Insert scam here] also included pj sets where tops were switched or returning loose underwear. C'mon GS peep. You're a woman. Do you want to wear panties after someone with maybe a yeast infection or STD tried on? There is no way in hell you wouldn't think of protecting your own crotch and instead focus solely that a tag is still attached.

Which is why i make them prove it to me and i handle it right then if they will allow me too.

I love driving scammers crazy. It was my hobby.

Make it right. . . and they don't mean make it right for Target. I was told to take back swimwear with no pantyguards in them. I didn't even want to touch them. (I did defect them)
Yes, but "making it right" for the guest does not mean taking back a Time & True top with a Knox Rose tag. Time & True is a Walmart brand.

It still bothers me that my ETL-SE showed me up at Guest Services when I forgot the policy about opened video games and I returned it. His demeanor was so harsh that some guests were even shocked and said that he should have handled the situation privately.

This was after he overrode me about a guest returning a used Nintendo Switch where the Serial Number didn't seem to match the one on the receipt. I even called AP over in order to check and they instructed me not to process the return. Grr, I couldn't stand that ETL and the way he treated team members.

I don’t return open video games ever.. the most you will get if I believe you got a defective unit is let you exchange for the same game for the same system.

I don’t return open video games ever.. the most you will get if I believe you got a defective unit is let you exchange for the same game for the same system.
Yes, but POS allowed me to return the video game even though what you mentioned is policy. I meant that I had a brain fart and forgot that opened video games are only supposed to be exchanged.

Either way, I was mad at my ETL for the way he handled the situation and embarrassed me in front of guests.

^^ Yep, I really don't. That happens so infrequently given the amount of clothing returns in a day that I really can't muster up an iota of care.
I mean, I get it, but taking back something that is clearly not our brand? How does that even happen? I can spot something that isn't ours a mile away.

Also, I understand making it right, so take back stuff that's covered in pet hair, that reeks of perfume or cigarette smoke or b.o., whatever - but then can you please defect it instead of throwing it in our reshop? I have items that stunk so bad it permeated the whole reshop rack.

If a guest brings me a sign or label they've removed from the shelf, my radar instantly goes off. I have no idea where they got that from or if the item was actually in that place and now nobody can check or correct. Removing labels totally doesn't put anyone at ease or fix a potential problem... it now leaves a missing label for those who are filling the shelves or looking for a product and it's pretty much a guarantee that it won't be replaced anytime soon.

The label has the DPCI on it so you can see that the price is for the item in question. The label should get replaced very soon, when the guest price challenge is completed.

Back