Archived Need help in Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairly recently my hours have been steadily getting cut back (my new schedule I literally have 4 hours!). I have been asking for any hours the store can spare & was happy when the store HR offered me two closing shifts. I took them without hesitation assuming they would be sales floor hours. I later learned they would all be in electronics. I have never worked a shift in electronics (let alone been trained), but I have covered breaks/lunches (only survived thanks to Target mobile). I did bring up my concerns to my LOD, and she just said that due to another employee quitting these are the only hours they can spare & that I would be fine. When I stressed how inexperience I am in this department I was told that I can take the shifts or leave them. I genuinely need the hours, & cant afford to "leave them". Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated. Also at the end of the night the LOD always ask for the AAR count. What is that & how do I calculate it?

Alright, first thing to do is breathe. They know you're just covering and they seem desperate, so I'm sure they will realize that you may not do the best job and that's OK. Here are a few general pointers:

• First, read this guide. It is extremely helpful and will go into more depth on some things I'm about to say.
  • As soon as you get in, grab not only a walkie and a myDevice but also the electronics key. This is usually up at TSC.
  • When you go in, status with the opening electronics team member and see where they are at as far as projects/reshop/zoning or any other special issues. If your electronics team lead is in, check with them on anything they have in mind too.
  • Outside of helping guests, your main priority during closing will be zoning. Since you seem like you've done some sales floor shifts, you probably have good knowledge of best practice in this area. You'll be expected to zone toys, electronics, sporting goods, automotive and possibly seasonal (though this may vary). It can be hard to get through all of these areas so just try your best and communicate with your LOD or TLOD if you feel like you need help.
  • On the guest side of things, Target Mobile is a huge help. Though they are not actual team members, they know their stuff and are usually willing to help out. Specifically, if any guests ask about phones, direct them to your Mobile team member. They are the only ones who can ring up contract phones and they get commision for prepaid phones and accessories (I wish we did!). Target Mobile will usually leave around 8 or 9, based on guest traffic needs for your store.
  • If you don't know the answer to a guest's question, don't be afraid to say you are not sure, but you will take a minute to research it and either ask another team member or consult the internet. Guests will (usually) appreciate the honesty and having the correct information instead of saying "I don't know" or giving them wrong information.
  • Lastly, AAR:
    (# of Accessories + # of SR/Ps attached) / (# of MAIN_ITEM products sold) * 100
  • AAR is the Accessory Attachment Rate. You can get Accessories when you sell items. For example, if a guest wants to buy a TV, you could suggest an HDMI cable, a Blu Ray player, a Roku, etc. Attachments are simply service plans. Take a few minutes during some downtime to educate yourself on the service plans we offer by reading them. Just ask the guest if they want a protection plan in case something happens to their device for X amount of dollars. These can be hard to sell, but with a little education, you can increase your chances of selling one.
  • Oh, and as always, REDCARDS!!! As a GSA, please please please make sure you are educating guests about the red card and its benefits. On some high dollar items, it can be a very easy red card conversion simply because of the dollar amount. Plus your leadership and your GSTL team will love you <3
I think I covered everything, but if you have any more questions, just let me know!

Last edited:
Also, if you don't know the answer to something, let the guest know your starting to learn that area and will try to find their answer (google works wonders) usually the guest appreciates this rather than you selling them/lying to them about the product that might have been the wrong thing. If you can between now and then start talking to the electronics team, see what is asked often and what they can give you tips and tricks on.

My store also puts the iPads and iPods into electronics lockup every night when closing. Not sure if this is Target wide or just my district.

My store also puts the iPads and iPods into electronics lockup every night when closing. Not sure if this is Target wide or just my district.
We have to lock them up as well, we're located in a high theft area, though.

I notice my target locks up everything . lol. I wanted to buy a $5 iPhone case and it was locked down.

Crash course: If it's locked up, don't hand it to the guest. Walk it to the register yourself and ring it up.

That's all you really need to know to be honest. Apart from that, good luck protecting your zone from all the children
Agreeded! But sometimes there's just stupid things that are locked up...

Agreeded! But sometimes there's just stupid things that are locked up...
We lock up $9 headphones and guests get pissy about it. And we have to carry all of the locked items to our Electronics counter and every once in a while, we'll get yelled at over it.

Practice using spider wraps on items, casing movies, & using locking hooks.
Ahhhhh, spider wraps. The bane of my existence if I'm covering electronics if they couldn't come in for the day. Especially the small spider wraps that screech in your face from just a slight tug to fix them when they're locked up already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back