Archived Network upgrades for faster wifi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone with these upgrades already complete at your store? Hope to be able to use the internet for once. That and responsive devices network wise!

Is it for the guest wireless or the internal network? Or both?

My PDA takes its sweet time logging me in and doing certain things in myFA, so an upgrade would be nice.
Should be both. Ours is getting ATT fiber optics, probably up from the T1 bundled lines that we have now. Also mentioned a back up LTE network for when the power is out or main network is down.

Edit: dumb auto correct....

Last edited:
I have heard the ethernet is going to be faster. Are we sure the WiFi is improving?

I have heard the ethernet is going to be faster. Are we sure the WiFi is improving?
From what it seems is the base network to the building will be better, and that splits to our routers spread throughout the building. And of course it'll speed up my device, and guest experience on wifi. I'm excited to see how fast it will be

With speed test my store rates at 3 Mbps. My cell service gets 35 in the store and home hits around 150-200. The one day my cell service was acting up I was trying to download an album to my phone so I could listen to it while working in the freezer and it took 10 minutes. Haven't had internet that slow since 2003. I don't think fiber-optic is offered the area where my store is.

Fiber is insanely expensive to run and in some areas is not even available yet. If Target is really going towards this it will not be cheap. Last costs I saw were estimated at $6 to $16 per foot of wire.

Fiber is insanely expensive to run and in some areas is not even available yet. If Target is really going towards this it will not be cheap. Last costs I saw were estimated at $6 to $16 per foot of wire.
You'd be surprised to know fiber is in alot more places than you think, even when not available direct to the average consumer , business has access to fiber in a ton of locations

This probably has nothing to do with this upgrade, but processing chip cards takes ridiculously long. Would an upgrade to the network effect this processing time? If it does, imagine the savings company wide.

I don't think fiber-optic is offered the area where my store is.
Fiber for home consumers is totally different from fiber for businesses, and it's probably closer than you think. If you can get fast LTE speeds on your phone, there's definitely fiber in the area.

Wee have the upgrade. It does not fix all the problems... not sure if it made it better. My pmt assures me it did.

Network speeds aren't the issue at my store, it's outdated tech. Those iPods (with 2011 tech) are painfully slow.

But anyway, most of the time I use the target app on my phone to help guests, and use the mydevice if I need to pull something.

Lucky for us that by the time the upgrade is installed we should all have zebras ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back