Archived New BrTL, not so new TM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm new to the site and honestly I'm still wondering how I found it lol. Anyways I'm starting my new role as Br/Instocks TL after 5 years as a Br team member and 2 years as a TPS. My new store is requesting me early from training (only 1 week I stead of 2) because the ETL-Log is on vacation for the week and they have no flow TL at the moment. Oh and did I mention the Br is red and have been without leadership for almost a year. Its going to be fun and I'm looking forward to the challenge for sure. Luckily I already know how to do the operational side of backroom and I stocks from my team member days but I'm still learning the team lead stuff and reports etc....any advice for my first few days/weeks/months?

Last edited:
Welcome.
Ya might wanna dial down the font size a little so it's not so hard on the eyes.

I was gonna say "Geez, we're not blind!" but, yeh that works. lol

Anyways, first day in the books. It went smooth as butter. I got a lot accomplished and met an awesome team (store). This should be a fun journey!

Good work on the promotion. I was also a Logistics TL (I think that's what they call a Backroom/Instocks TL)

Don't let the new team intimidate you. Go in and establish yourself as a leader, but still working alongside them. Do you know what metrics are making things red right now?

Good work on the promotion. I was also a Logistics TL (I think that's what they call a Backroom/Instocks TL)

Don't let the new team intimidate you. Go in and establish yourself as a leader, but still working alongside them. Do you know what metrics are making things red right now?

Thanks a lot, I am definitely going in establishing a leadership role. I have been over what metrics make what red with my trainer (she leads the number 2 team in the district, number 10 YTD) so I took what she showed me to heart. My store is currently 55/56 stores so we have nowhere to go but up. And yes I believe it is also referred to as Logistics Team Lead.

Welcome to your new Logistics TL role! I started in the same role just one year, and it took me about 6-8 months to turn the two teams around. There are a few things on which to focus that will help you survive the first few months going into Christmas and begin to thrive in the role.

- Get to know your teams well as their leader. Build strong relationships with them and set clear standards from the beginning. Make sure your know who your team trainer(s) are, and build a strong partnership with them on setting clear standards for the rest of the team. You cannot possibly do everything perfectly on your own and recover metrics, but if you have strong team trainers in place who will assist you, you will be amazed at how well the team responds.

- Dive into your location accuracy results. What areas have the most errors consistently? Once you have determined those, partner with your ETL and team to do empty location audits and LOCUing. Also, set a very clear standard on backroom brand. Do not let the team get lazy on zoning in the wacos and other locs while backstocking and pulling. Force them to do low and tight and keep no more than 3 DPCIs per waco. A bad brand directly affects your location accuracy. Use your backroom detail report when you find errors in locations to do value-added coaching. Once I implemented these standards (which are Target best practice), our accuracy went solid green and stayed that way. We are consistently the 1st our group for our Backroom score.

- DO NOT let people who are not backroom trained into your backroom. They will destroy all your hardwork in one the matter of one shift. I cannot overemphasize this enough. If you don't want to use payroll fixing problems, keep untrained team members out.

- Always be thinking, "How do I need to prepare the backroom for the next season?" For example, we are in BTS and BTC right now. I partnered with my ETL to make sure our Seasonal and Office and Stationary aisles where ready to receive the increased freight, maintained low and tight, fixed profiles and groupings for binders, backpacks, etc, and made sure that we captured pre-tied freight.

- Own your CAF pull timeliness score. As soon as research or EXFs drop in the gun, get someone on pulling them. If someone drops research or EXFs without telling you or the backroom, call out the team on the walkie and let them know that they must let you know if they are going to drop batches and when they have. Otherwise, you will be fighting a constant battle to keep that score green.

- Make sure your Reverse Logistics Team Member is on top of his/her job. You can rock out your backroom all day, but if Receiving cannot complete MIRs and ESIM properly, you will never see a green backroom.

- Be judicious about where you scan and how you scan for in-stocks. If areas are totally empty, items have backroom locations, and you filling those holes primarily through research, your replenishment process is broken somewhere. Attempt to average 2000-3000 scans a week when possible. Hold your team accountable for when they have high scans with location, but also know that if the rest of the store is not pushing or zoning properly, your team bears the brunt of their laziness. Though dangerous in the wrong hands, EXFs can be your best friend. My ETL and I typically only allow my team and leaders to use EXFs because of their ability to mess up your sales accumulator.

I hope that this helps! I know it may seem overwhelming at first, but if you have strong partnerships with your ETL and the Flow and Plano team leads, your life will be much easier in implementing these steps and getting your scores green.

GTC for you logtl.
Excellent first post.
Welcome to The Break Room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back