COVID-19 New Cleaning Protocol

Starting on the 1st, were supposed to have a new cleaning protocol that involves (from what I was told) only 1 cleaning person who comes in at 7am to clean the store. Then clean carts one by one as guests enter.

Before, we were cleaning carts right after each guest was leaving and helping out the cart attendant collect and keep carts full and organized.

In addition, they want us to set up the beauty table up front and offer disposable masks to those who don’t have them and encourage those with medical conditions to use our contactless options.

That’s have also started involving AP more in the matter of confronting those who aren’t wearing masks.

Those are all the details I know so far. There were never any comments on who is supposed to cover breaks.

Cleaning duties will be moved to the dbos and they are supposed to wipe down any high touch points in their areas 3 times a day start of shift after break amd end of their shift. Unload team will also have to wipe down all vehicles prior to starting the truck and dbos when they return them after pushing. Im sure there is more im missing but im tired

We clean them by the entrance and line them up a whole row at a time, filling a hole with a newly cleaned cart.

My cleaning person rings up guests for mask sales & cleans carts. It seems to be working, because of the hours given. Dbo's are cleaning their areas, along the roaming cleaner who walks the whole store & cleans. I think the lod listens to call outs on sales from tech & sends the cleaner out to the floor.

Usually the roaming cleaner wouldn't be the cart cleaner. But if there's not enough people (thanks, hours have been cut like crazy) then you're boned. Not enough people? The roaming cleaner gets cut. You know nobody is cleaning their areas except Starbucks and maybe the cashiers (who has TIME with these crazy small allotted times to push stuff?).

Now we have the mask person handing masks out being labeled cleaning as well.

Carts and masks. The two most boring jobs in the store. Stand around and look like an idiot, and don't you dare look at your phone when nothing is happening! Our mask person has taken to getting a handheld and putting their phone on top of it...most people, thankfully, who come into the store are already wearing masks.

I feel like they're trying to make me quit, keeping me up at carts all day. It's miserable and tedious.

....but still less pressuring than being on the floor.

At your store, does it seem like LESS cleaning during the day is going on than a couple of months ago? While we're still having all carts cleaned and (for maskless guests) masks being offered, there seems to be less frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces. Cash register lanes, self-checkout, door handles, breakroom and so forth seem to be getting less sanitary cleaning. I know some of these duties have been returned to DBOs rather than to a dedicated cleaner, and maybe it's just less visible, but I'm a bit worried since COVID cases seem to be popping up in our community and around the country even with the warmer summer weather.

At your store, does it seem like LESS cleaning during the day is going on than a couple of months ago? While we're still having all carts cleaned and (for maskless guests) masks being offered, there seems to be less frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces. Cash register lanes, self-checkout, door handles, breakroom and so forth seem to be getting less sanitary cleaning. I know some of these duties have been returned to DBOs rather than to a dedicated cleaner, and maybe it's just less visible, but I'm a bit worried since COVID cases seem to be popping up in our community and around the country even with the warmer summer weather.

I don't think the DBOs are doing it. I don't think we have DBOs...but I could be wrong. No one uses "DBO" around here.

Carts and baskets always has a cleaner. Now there's a mask person too. Sometimes there's only two cleaning people scheduled for the entire same 8 hour shift. In that case there won't be a roaming cleaner. When one of them needs a break the other one has to cover both. Every time you leave the mask table you have to change your gloves when you come back. Which is fine, but how about schedule more people so we don't have someone doing those two jobs, therefore saving on gloves?

Source: my store

We have someone cleaning carts. We don't have a mask person. We do have masks for guests at guest service though. Kits were made for the DBOs so that they could clean their areas, but they never picked up the kits. They are still sitting in TSC. I think every sales for TM should have to stop and clean those high touch points, if Target wants the high touch points cleaned. Why make only DBOs do it?

We still have cleaning shifts at my store. They have a nice new plexiglass station in front of the carts where they clean carts and offer masks and sanitizer. I really haven't seen much push back on the mask mandate but my state has had one for months. The occasional child is sometimes without one but I chalk that up more to bad parenting than anything else.

We try to keep up with the cleaning at tech... our registers and our credit machines are kept clean... everything else lucky to get once maybe twice. If the roaming cleaner isn't in.

is it still protocol to have every-other register running instead of each one? at my store, they would rotate even and odd every 30 minutes, but, they seem to hardly do it anymore. i know as a cashier, customers (guests) get right up behind me while i'm cashiering and its f'ing scary!!!

I was told that I would be responsible for cleaning the door handles in dairy now that the cleaning shifts have permanently gone away.

Here is how it works at my store:

The 6 am cleaner cleans around the store before it opens. If there are any cashier callouts, they will immediately be moved there once the store opens.

If they know how to do drive-up or FF, they will be moved there.

No cleaner is spending their whole shift cleaning anymore unless it's super dead traffic-wise.

I don't mind doing cashiering or putting away reshop. But, um...maybe stop saying "cleaning" on my schedule if I'm going to spend 90% of my shift on a register? If you want me to be on the register just schedule me as a cashier!

Last edited:
Hows it working out that way?
The cart cleaning is non existence but still have a cart with cleaning/supplies. Though the counting is useless so if they go back to that shit they just need to invest in a automatic counter.

The cart cleaning is non existence but still have a cart with cleaning/supplies. Though the counting is useless so if they go back to that shit they just need to invest in a automatic counter.
We have an automatic counter. I thought everyone did.

Carts and masks. The two most boring jobs in the store. Stand around and look like an idiot, and don't you dare look at your phone when nothing is happening!
If this is the case, you're doing it wrong. You should be greeting guests, evaluating what you think they're shopping for (best guess... fun game) and giving them a less than 10 second blurb about the best promotion in your store. Right now encourage college students to verify status for circle, tell those with babies about the diaper deal, beauty or health care deals for others, or just remind them to not forget to use their circle and app for some good bargains. Some of the older guests just want someone, anyone to ask how they are and actually listen to the answer. I have never been bored doing either one of these jobs. I know many are, but it's a choice in how you do it.

Our store has one person assigned to the front to clean carts and baskets. We haven't had a roving cleaner in months. A cart is at the front of the store with masks for anyone who wants one. No one cleans the rest of the store throughout the day. The carts and baskets cleaner comes in at 6 or 7 and cleans some areas of the store then at 8 goes to the front to handle cleaning. It can be boring and busy. There are times that it is extremely difficult to clean and line up baskets and keep up with the flow of people coming in the store. Anyone who does the cleaning during the busy times say they are very tired and never want to do it again. People have requested off this shift many times and there are people who just aren't willing to do it. As a result there are those that get stuck with it all the time.

Back