Archived New Employee Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I have received a seasonal part-time position this holiday season as an associate on the sales floor in hardlines. I start in a couple days.

I have some questions I would like to get answered without having to ask them at the store.

#1 - Do I get paid for the orientation that I just went to?

#2 - How many hours can I reasonably expect to receive per week this holiday season? If I ask for 20 hours, can I expect to receive 20 hours per week? If I ask for 40 hours, can I expect to receive 40 hours per week?

#3 - What are the length of shifts I can reasonably expect? If I receive 24 hours in a week, am I more likely to receive 3 shifts of 8 hours each or 4 shifts of 6 hours each or 6 shifts of 4 hours each?

#4 - If I am scheduled to open the store, how long before the store opens would I be scheduled?

#5 - If I am scheduled to close the store, how long after the store closes would I expect to still be there straightening up?

#6 - During the interview, they said there is a possibility that I could be asked to stay as a permanent part-time associate after the holiday season.

How realistic is being asked to stay on as a permanent part-time associate?

Doesn't the store have a full staff prior to hiring seasonal associates that would fill most/all the positions after the holiday season?

#7 - Any other tips or information that seasoned Target employees would like to share?

My goal is to work my shifts, complete the holiday season, be classified as rehireable, and move on in January.

Thank you for the information and help.

You'll get paid for orientation. There is no guarantee of hours, with holiday season ramping up you will probably get hours, but you can potentially got from 40hrs one week to 8hrs the next.

The length of your shifts is another thing that is really hard to count on, it all depends on what your store needs. If you are scheduled to open the store, you will most likely be set to start right at 8am (or whenever your store opens) but again it depends on your store.

As for the possibility of being kept on after the holidays end, there are a few factors that usually go into that. If you are good worker, with no attendance issues, the chances are better that you'll be kept on. But there is no guarantee. At least at my store we do not have a full staff going into the holidays, so we might be keeping people on. If you do get kept on after seasonal, be prepared for your hours to drop. Last year I went from 40hrs during November/December to about 15 during January/February.

Any of the answers you get really change from store to store. Everyone runs theirs a bit differently so it is really hard to give concrete answers.

1. Yes

2. It varies. As Black Friday rolls around, you'll most likely get your 20 and offered more. Come January, you'll be lucky to get half of that. For now, you'll probably get between 10-20. You most likely won't get 40 even if you ask.

3. Probably a combination. Some 8, some 4. You probably won't get 6 4 hour shifts though.

4. If you're opening, you just show up when the store opens. My store hours are 8-11, and when I open, my scheduled hours start at 8. You don't need to show up before the store is open
or do anything special.

5. Closing, like with opening, not anything special is required, it's unlikely you'll be staying after closing. I've only been in after closing once, and that was for inventory (not something you'll be doing).

6. ASANTS (All Stores Are Not The Same). In my store, after the summer we operate on a skeleton crew till we start hiring in september. Some of the people from last year have been let go, transferred, or trained in other store areas. And that all needs replacing.

For my store, last year, we didn't keep any seasonals, but again, ASANTS. I'd just work hard and ask my HRTM what your odds are, realistically.

7. Know how to use a MyDevice, a walkie, and how to shut off a callbox. Know what LOD, ETL, AP, and CAF mean. Know what an Endcap and a POG are. There's many acronyms and terms to learn, don't be afraid to ask. Besides, showing a desire to want to know about Target means you've taken an interest in the job, which in turn means the management will take an interest in you. Good for sticking around past Janruary.

Welcome!

Thank you for the responses.

If anyone else has anything to add, I would appreciate any additional information.

I am feeling a little better about working for Target.

Like I originally posted, I want to work my shifts, complete the holiday season, be classified as rehireable for future years, and move on in January. I hope my shifts are shorter (4-5 hours) rather than longer (7-8+ hours).

I am already counting the days until when I guess the end of the holiday season will be. I may be off a couple days but it gives me a goal and a countdown.

Couple of people last year were hired seasonal and still work at my store . Just be prepared for hours to drop in January. If you make an impression you may be asked to stay on. Ask questions, be opened to learning new things.

jamitchell if your username bears any resemblance to your name or store you need to alter it to keep anonymity.

Show up to work, go with the flow, dont complain, do your work and try to be better all the time. Youl go far.

Show up to work, go with the flow, dont complain, do your work and try to be better all the time. Youl go far.

I can do those 5 things. Going with the flow is my plan - not work too hard, don't sweat, avoid dealing with customers as much as possible.

I don't want to go far. I want to go to the end of the holiday season and leave on a positive note so that I can get rehired for future holiday seasons if I apply.

I just want to collect my cash, work as easy as I can, and get out.

I can do those 5 things. Going with the flow is my plan - not work too hard, don't sweat, avoid dealing with customers as much as possible.

I don't want to go far. I want to go to the end of the holiday season and leave on a positive note so that I can get rehired for future holiday seasons if I apply.

Good luck with that! Not very likely for a retail worker during the 4th Quarter.

From a team member getting ready to start her 9th holiday season at Spot.......

I was given a job offer during the hiring event, and was told I will be called for Orientation. I am assuming its for BG check? How long do BG checks usually take?

looks like everyone answered your questions.

I've never seen so many new Team members asking so many questions before, they all seem nervous for just a retail job .

It is not nervousness. It is more buyers remorse.

I am feeling like I applied to the wrong company and picked the wrong seasonal jobs.

I am hoping it is not as bad as I fear it to be.

Really 3 weeks on orientation? How many total hours does orientation take?

If I can get paid for and waste 3 weeks of this holiday season on orientation, that would be amazing.

I think he meant up to 3 weeks for Target to call for Orientation. Seems like a lot of waiting...hopefully I do end up getting called.

well that is halloween week and kids will be out trick or treating and people have to stay home to give out candy to strangers

I'm excited they are cutting hours.

I would be extremely happy if I only got 3 shifts of 5 hours each per week. 15 total hours.

Second job i assume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back