New etl

Hey all. New Etl starting soon just want to know your honest opinion about the position and what the day to day kinda looks like, more or less. I come from years of retail so I know I what can happen to “plans” for the day. I want to do well so any info that would be helpful is appreciated.

oh I’m gonna be in specialty sales (beauty, tech and soft lines)

The best you can do, be a two faced liar. You lie to your SD who lies to DSD who lies to GVP so and so forth.
You’ll also find your self lying to TMs, with a straight face , about expectations, unreasonable, unrealistic expectations.

Edit:- if that’s your real name, please change it, Target monitors and frequently reprimands TMs/TLs and ETLs.
Are you asking if my username is my real name?

Yup we had a lead transfer in. Didn't do this. We all dislike her. And she keeps going against store best practices.
Definitely listen and take in what your TLs and Veteran TMs have to say, you’re joining their team and the best way to succeed is for them to want you to lead them. Ruin those relationships at the beginning and there’s almost no going back. Also communication is key

Yup we had a lead transfer in. Didn't do this. We all dislike her. And she keeps going against store best practices.
Lost an etl because they dictated their new business and never got the support from the leads or tms on anything after they refused to listen the first couple months. You’re only as good as your team makes you look.

Yup, for my store director? I'll cross a river with a smile. Why? He once helped me throw tvs in backstock when I was swamped and I never get help in tech.
Etl? Sure I'll do a river crossing as well happily. They keep a strategic stock of candy for me on the floor to keep my energy up.
TL that's new and acts like a bitch to me and interrupts all our routines cause she thinks her shits important? Ok boss.

If you're the highest leader in the store, and Karen is demanding a manager about something totally stupid, we pawns appreciate it when Leaders back us up once in a while.

Not saying you shouldn't side with the obviously wrong and verbally abusive Guest all the time because we know Target says "take care of the Guest even if they are literally stabbing your TM to death in front of you," but every now and then, it's nice.

Treat the TLs and TMs right and listen to them. They know how to make their area a success and will do it if you don’t stand in their way or tick them off. If anyone in leadership tells you they are “just trying to help you” watch your back and update your resume. Good luck!

It's a tough time of year to start out. First, know your team. Find team members who have been there for a while. They're going to be the ones to go to to find out how things are going. Best ETLs I've had treated everyone with respect not like they were children or their bff. It's a fine balance of being respectful yet knowing when to be all business. If you can balance that and treat your team well your team will respect you and pull hard for you. I have awesome leadership at my store right now except maybe for one but they're new so I'm giving them time. This person is unapproachable, doesn't know or seem to care to know their team, and doesn't seem to understand what the team needs because they always hide in their office. They doesn't give direction if an area like the front lanes are backing up and the salesfloor isn't responding to calls for help. When they're the only one on duty on a busy day the team feels like a leaderless army shoved into a massacre until someone else comes in and takes the reigns. Make sure to check on your team and make your presence known so your team knows your there to help. Good luck and welcome.

Don't come in micromanaging and using a condescending voice. It's best to just keep it cut and dry as possible. Not buddy buddy, but also not "I'm the boss and you will listen because I'm right." If you observe long enough your team will teach you what kind of ETL you need to be. It's difficult but you have to be approachable yet professional. Your team needs to feel comfortable talking with you but not like best friends. And please, whichever store you were trained at, kind of throw that way out the window, every store runs different. Coming in to change everything to mirror that store just frustrates everyone and makes more work because you will end up putting everything back how it was originally.

Multi task! Many people can work and talk at the same time.

That was one of those things that was hard for me to get through my thick skull.
I can work at top speed in a kitchen with the stereo playing The Damned's Machine Gun Etiquette at 50 decibels, while having a serious debate about the three primary questions of philosophy.
That really isn't normal.
But most people have to stop and think about things or get distracted from their work, unless they have been doing it for a long time or are wired weird like me.
So I had to get out of the habit of talking to my people all the time.

In case anybody is wondering the three primary questions are; What is knowledge? How should we conduct ourselves as individuals? How should we govern ourselves?
They tend to circle around on each other which is what makes the conversations fun, especially when you are listening to The Damned.

Back