Archived New Flow TM, how to become a TL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Penrose

I am a new flow TM, what should I do to be considered a TL? When can I start applying? What specific things do I need to know to prepare myself for an interview?

I am not in a hurry, per se, I just want to make sure that my actions right now are leading me to that goal, when opportunity does arise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you're gonna need to fulfill a list of expectations, and prove to be a good leader all around. I see no harm in providing this list. Mods I'm sorry if I cross the line remove this if it's legally threatening. Here is the list of leadership expectations with Target verbiage:

Personal Leadership
  • Be resilient and adaptable
  • Demonstrate accountability
  • Demonstrate courage
Team Leadership
  • Collaborate
  • Relate well to others
  • Communicate effectively
  • Manage talent
  • Engage and inspire others
Thought Leadership
  • Solve problems
  • Strategize
  • Innovate
Results Leadership
  • Manage execution
  • Drive for results
  • Maximize productivity
Think about your strengths and weaknesses (opportunities we call them) from this list. Flaunt your strengths and actively work on your opportunities.

Also, you can approach your leaders about your own personal development towards leadership whenever you feel comfortable.

Last edited:
hey thanks @BlueSide ...... I am printing this up, and think about my actions that will produce these outcomes.

Team Leadership is where I'm struggling... I don't think I'll have that opportunity either especially managing talent? inspiring others? LOL.

Team leadership is hard one for a team member. Managing talent, engaging others, and inspiring others are all things you won't really get a chance to do unless you're a trainer or GSA.

so, it's a lost cause? ...this is like the "WALL" I am afraid of. :(

Team leadership is hard one for a team member. Managing talent, engaging others, and inspiring others are all things you won't really get a chance to do unless you're a trainer or GSA.
Which is why a lot of TLs (at least at my store) are or were trainers

so, it's a lost cause? ...this is like the "WALL" I am afraid of. :(
You've got a long time to get TL worthy. It doesn't happen overnight, so don't think it will. Just keep doing what you're doing and improving yourself

So before I become a TL, they will kind of prepare me for it by giving the chance to become a trainer?

Okay, that's cool.

You've got a long time to get TL worthy. It doesn't happen overnight, so don't think it will. Just keep doing what you're doing and improving yourself

thanks....yeah, first I kind of have to be good at the push stuff....then, when they think I am able to do more....then, they'll increase my responsibilities....

Leadership loves people who are 'global.' People fail to realize that promotions are usually a competition. You may do a fantastic job at the push, and you may do well in other areas, but your competition may have a broader skill set or do what leadership values better than you. I've picked out what I view as flaws in others' leadership or processes, and improved or fixed them. Things like that do get noticed much more often than "oh, so and so does a good job on the push."

Learn to be vocal and visible. Being quiet to you may mean that you're busy. That's not the case to most people. It creates the illusion that you aren't there.

Also, Target jargon. This is a weakness of mine, and I'm working on it. When speaking with leadership, use it. I've found it better to be to the point, and flaunt what you have done. Part of Target's culture is recognition, and sometimes, you have to recognize yourself for your hard work. It's silly, yes, but it's part of the game.

Those are my small additions to BlueSide's great list.

Be stellar at your current job & master it, too.
This is absolutely the first step. Once you can rock the freight and the flow process, you'll be able to start teaching new TMs and working on your leadership. You don't even have to be a trainer to be a leader. Once you feel comfortable in your own actions, you should be able to assert yourself (respectfully) in terms of following best practice or doing things the right way. Once you're comfortable with where you're at, start asking to be cross trained, like in the back room or salesfloor. Sometimes our flow TMs pick up softlines shifts and learn the operator role. Learning other roles really helps you to be global.

When you start to get comfortable in your abilities, you'll also want to start talking to your leadership about your desires. If they really see the potential, they'll be able to guide you into roles where you'll gain essential tools to enhance your leadership abilities. My STL and ETL saw my potential so they where able to guide me out if the backroom and onto flow (since I already knew the process) so I could work my way into a 'flow champion' spot, if you will.

Being able to answer their interview questions is only part of it. Your leaders have to know that developing you is worth their effort. Think about what leadership role you would most like to be in and then think about roles that you want nothing to do with. If there's some positions you can't see yourself in, it's likely your leaders will see the same thing and not want to promote you. I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm saying it because my STL told me the exact same thing. If don't want to be flexible and fulfil the needs of the store, it will be foolish to promote you. Team Leaders have to be global.

Those are my small additions to BlueSide's great, plagiarised list <_<
I mean, if you're a team lead or actually about to become a team lead that's the same list you'll use to gauge your strengths and opportunities. There will be a description of each expectation as well, but who remembers all that crap? lol.

This is definitely a challenge!! I honestly have a very different background than most people in leadership position. I feel like, maybe I don't belong + having some learning disability -- so, it is a tough road ahead... i don't know how far persistence and hard work will take me..

who does the interviews for TL position??? Who are the people making decisions to promote someone? Is it like a round table or panel interview with STL, ETL, TL ? or maybe a DTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back