Archived New forced to smile policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store said something about smiling the minute we walk onto the floor and pretending to be happy like we're on stage lol. I've already been pretending so meh. I don't think they'd have to tell people to pretend to be happy if they treated us better, though.

I don't think this is a new policy. I remember 2 etls ago, she told one of the flow team members she needed to smile more. That etl is gone and the team member still doesn't smile.

Yea, I actually don't think it is either. Lately, our surveys are red in the question about TMs wanting to help, so there's more focus on how we can appear that way and smiles are always the first thing they think of for that stuff.

I just think it's unrealistic. No one can be expected to smile at every single person and some people are insecure about how they look when they smile. It's not that they're unhappy with their job. I spoke to one TM who is self-conscious about her smile because she has a cavity that shows when she smiles so for the most part she will just give you a smirk. Why make someone feel uncomfortable and instill the fear of getting in trouble if they don't give a fake smile to every guest that walks by?

I just think it's unrealistic. No one can be expected to smile at every single person and some people are insecure about how they look when they smile. It's not that they're unhappy with their job. I spoke to one TM who is self-conscious about her smile because she has a cavity that shows when she smiles so for the most part she will just give you a smirk. Why make someone feel uncomfortable and instill the fear of getting in trouble if they don't give a fake smile to every guest that walks by?

That's my big thing. I hate my smile. I'm not going to parade around with one just to make management happy.

What happened to Target wanting you to be yourself? It's not in some people's personality to be happy as hell all the time.

At the huddle we were informed that if you don't smile and act happy while you're at work especially when guest walk past you, you will get a coaching. They don't want anyone to look like they hate their job. Anyone else have something like this in place?
I feel like I'm out of the loop but didn't you leave spot?

Heh I'd love love to see them go over to other stores ( not target) ya they aren't smiling. There are days where I do not feel like smiling I feel like crying ( maybe someone made me cry) maybe I am angry ( guest just ticked me off) or maybe I am :/ where I am in between so I just don't feel like smiling.

I had an ETL tell me that I needed to sound more excited when I spoke into the walkie. He said I didn't sound enthusiastic enough. Same ETL was heard over the walkie several days later being rather rude to a guest.

TMxmzTJ.gif

I had an ETL tell me that I needed to sound more excited when I spoke into the walkie. He said I didn't sound enthusiastic enough. Same ETL was heard over the walkie several days later being rather rude to a guest.
How the hell do you sound enthusiastic over a walkie? "Hey yeah man I'm in such a great mood today! I'm shooting rainbows out of my ass and isn't life just peachy!??? I'm going to take my 30. Bless you."

How the hell do you sound enthusiastic over a walkie? "Hey yeah man I'm in such a great mood today! I'm shooting rainbows out of my ass and isn't life just peachy!??? I'm going to take my 30. Bless you."
Actually, that's exactly how that ETL sounds on the walkie. I cringe when I hear his voice because it is SO phony.

OK, so from the guest's point of view:

I have been in Target maybe three times since I quit three+ months ago. Today the cashier was awful! She bitched about the bags. She bitched about the card reader. She bitched because she had a five hour shift - "Way too much work, ugh, I hate it." So yeah, a smile and silence would have been wonderful.

If you hate your job that much, then quit. You're not doing anybody any good.

I told the people in my work center that they were on stage. I didn't care what kind of shit they were dealing with; when they're on the floor, it's a happy face. If you can't manage that in retail, then you need another job.

If they wanted me to smile more, they should've paid me better.
I smile when I'm happy; I'm happy when I'm paid well; for all my cumulative skills over 15 years, I wasn't paid enough so you ain't getting a grin from this girl.
tl; dr - Gimme sumpin to smile about.

TYSM and YATS (you figure those acronyms out - shouldn't be too difficult). Yeah, as someone with a technical degree and like 20 years experience in CAD, QC, and Computer Programming, forcing a smile for wages that I made 20 years ago is a stretch. I do, indeed, try and respect customers and do my best to help them. But there are 20 things that I'd rather be doing that pay MUCH BETTER but don't because of our crappy economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back