Archived New GSA with Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was made gsa recently and everything has been going good except for one TM who has recently begun to challange me everytime we work together. I've let it go but the last few days one has been particularly aggressive with them talking over me to guests, countermanding my decisions to other tms, and actually hollaring at me over the walkie that I needed to get to gs because they had things to do. I directed them to 4 and explained I was breaking sco and watching the lanes and to call for fast service to gs. I am at a loss on how to effectively handle this person to get point across that they are overstepping themselves.

Document instances of insubordination, argumentative behavior etc. talk to your TL so he/she can reset expectations and put in place/reinforce the hierarchy.

P.s : when they called you over to GS , instead of telling them to press a button for fast service at GS. You should’ve gotten on the walkie and said”team we need a quick back up to GS , I am covering SCO break” be authoritative in your communications.

Yeah don't just "let it go". You're trying to cut them a break but what you're really saying is that they can walk all over you. Even though as a GSA you can't write them up, you can still pull them off-stage and just have a conversation with them. "Hey are you ok? You seemed upset by something. You were snapping at me over the walkie, etc. That's an inappropriate way to address me. If you have a problem, talk to me in private, I'd appreciate your respect and efforts to help run this team smoothly, etc."

Still follow-up with your GSTL or ETL to make sure they're aware of the situation. Partner with them to document it if it continues. It may seem like huge overreaction to write someone up for talking to you like that (hey maybe you have a thick skin and it's not hurting your feelings so you're the type to keep walking) but you won't be able to manage a team and get your job done if you allow it.

In other leadership positions I've held outside of Spot, I've sometimes encountered resistance to my promotion by those who have been there longer than me in the position where we were equals, or those who felt are better suited for the job.

I've been taught to have offstage conversations (don't publicly shame them back) and address the behavior, as soon as possible (meaning don't let it go a month and then, "hey, remember that one time...").

GSA may not be a team leader, but it's a position of authority. Don't let them step over you. No need to pull rank, but just ask them to be polite, and remind them you're open to feedback if they ask to speak to you in private, too.

Lastly, just be open to listening to them, too. As big an asshole as they may be, sometimes there's things to learn from them (if they've been around longer). If they crack open the book of knowledge, thank them and that usually helps alleviate tension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back