Archived New GSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
So I just moved up to GSA i am super excited and would like to do my best in the position. Does anyone have any tips or advice for me??
:girl_smile:
I would also like to know your best method for giving break schedules. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Welcome! If that's your real name I'd advise changing your username, spot watches these boards.

Be sure to read the guides forums under guest service, lots of good info there.

For break schedules I usually had one cashier per shift (more during busy days), oversee breaks and relieve people. We called them breakers. One tip when writing the break schedule is to space the breaks 2 hours apart (with deviations where necessary to prevent break overlap), but start with their 3rd break and work right to left. That way people with longer shifts don't have 2.5-3 hours without a break at the end of their shift.

I've tried changing my username but it isn't allowing me to do so?
And thank you so much for the useful advice it is greatly appreciated and I will definitely put it to use when I go in tomorrow :)

I've tried changing my username but it isn't allowing me to do so?
And thank you so much for the useful advice it is greatly appreciated and I will definitely put it to use when I go in tomorrow :)

Greetings and salutations
If you go into "edit profile' there is a one time username change option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your store volume. Your existing GSTL/GSAs should be able to give you a good way to start.

Many of your roles will look similar to those of a GSTL (and there will be some team members who won't see the difference). You won't be doing reviews, coachings, interviews, etc., but you might be responsible for tasks like setting salesplanners for the front endcaps (unless your POG team handles this), replenishing gift cards throughout the store, keeping the service desk organized, and assisting the CTL by keeping track of dates for candy and ensuring it is rotated. You are also supposed to work cash office shifts regularly and work with the other GSAs to ensure that the day-to-day process in the CO runs smoothly.

Of course, the volume of your store will dictate the roles you actually take on. Low-volume stores have only 1 or 2 GSTLs and don't typically have the coverage for mid-shifts. This means GSAs are needed to open, close, and run the front by themselves more often than stores with a higher GSTL headcount. I was a GSA in a C-volume store and had 3-4 solo GSTL/GSA shifts per week, with maybe one hour of crossover. This, of course, limits some of the ability you have to work in the Cash Office.

If you are in a higher-volume store, you probably won't be running the front by yourself as much, with the exception of the weekend rotation.

Best thing to do is get with your ETL-GE or your "Senior" GSTL and get on the same page regarding the core roles for your unique situation. Here are some additional tips that I have from my experience:
- When you are running the front, get to know your top performers and utilize them to cover breaks and work on tasks.
- Know what to do when the checklanes are backed up. When it gets severely busy, some stores want the GSTL/GSA to jump on register and call the LOD to watch lights. Other stores prefer for ETLs to hop on and let the GSTL/GSA speedweave. This might vary by who is LOD at the time, also.
- Be sure your cart attendants are regularly checking trash and hanger bins at the lanes.
- If you're ever slow up front and have several cashiers, partner with other TLs and send 1-2 to the floor to help zone or work on other tasks (be sure they get a walkie). I found that you get much quicker responses to backup calls when the Sales Floor sees that you're willing to help them out as well.

Good luck and remember to ask questions!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back