New Hire - Specialty Sales Team Lead!

Hello all! I recently accepted a position with target as a Specialty Sales Team Lead, I’ll be over home decor/home, plus another department. Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly?!
I previously was a training store manager for a specialty retailer for 3 years and 6 years of restaurant management. Obviously it’s retail so I know the workload will be high with reduced payroll which I’m used to.

Pay is nice. Ability to develop mini-you’s who hopefully share your vision and work ethic.

Unrealistic expectations. 7-people workload, one person, 4 hour shift.

They have these shady characters called EEE TEEE ELLLLS. Not very good at doing their job so you’ll do it for them but they get the free lunches and Starbies.

Welcome to The Break Room!
I think I might be lucky my ETL started out as an hourly associate 15 years ago. At least she will have some understanding versus a fresh out of college with no retail experience ETL. At least I hope so lol

Hello all! I recently accepted a position with target as a Specialty Sales Team Lead, I’ll be over home decor/home, plus another department. Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly?!
I previously was a training store manager for a specialty retailer for 3 years and 6 years of restaurant management. Obviously it’s retail so I know the workload will be high with reduced payroll which I’m used to.
If you are used to high workload and reduced payroll, get ready for another level of much, much higher workload and much, much reduced payroll, you will experience mental anguish, pain and disappointment the likes of which you have not seen before.
Everyday will feel like a Monday and you’ll soon find yourself sitting in your car before your shift starts contemplating life it self.
The mountains of merch that you’ll see, will start to look like a mirage, unreal! how can it just keep going and going? It can’t be real, yet it is.
Time will pass so quickly that you’ll start peeing and pooping at the same time, out of the same organ. Your stomach will always be upset and the bloating from luke warm Starbucks sandwiches will make your days even more miserable.
Of course through all this you must smile while ensuring no one sees your yellowed teeth.
Other than that it’s chill.

If you are used to high workload and reduced payroll, get ready for another level of much, much higher workload and much, much reduced payroll, you will experience mental anguish, pain and disappointment the likes of which you have not seen before.
Everyday will feel like a Monday and you’ll soon find yourself sitting in your car before your shift starts contemplating life it self.
The mountains of merch that you’ll see, will start to look like a mirage, unreal! how can it just keep going and going? It can’t be real, yet it is.
Time will pass so quickly that you’ll start peeing and pooping at the same time, out of the same organ. Your stomach will always be upset and the bloating from luke warm Starbucks sandwiches will make your days even more miserable.
Of course through all this you must smile while ensuring no one sees your yellowed teeth.
Other than that it’s chill.
Really ugh

Stay calm.
Be fair.
Learn as much as you can from those that know.
Be available to help your team when they need it.
Try to stay positive. Negativity is far more contagious.
‘Don’t get overwhelmed - do what you can, get help when required, go home and have a healthy work/life balance.
best of luck.

Back