Archived New(ish) ETL Needs Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

LearningTree

Guest Experience
Hi, I'm an external hire to Target, which is massively different from any other job I've held in the past. I onboarded back in early Fall, but I still feel like I'm just not "getting it". I don't want to go into details (this would quickly turn into a rant) but basically I feel that my training/development was massively ignored since my store was in a staffing crisis right before Q4. They took every opportunity to just dump LOD shifts in my lap while they ran the other way to focus on their departments. I'm talking 4-5 LOD shifts a week right out of Business College. Basically I need some advice on the proper way to run the Front End vs Softlines vs Hardlines, how do I make the right business decisions when some aisles are transitioning soon, how to best manage my department, and the best way to connect with the other ETLs in my area.

I don't feel like I'm getting anything done and I'm being pushed to work on things that a TM could easily get done. The whole situation just makes me question if they don't secretly want me gone and if I'm actually worth anything to this company.

Last edited:
Hang in there it doesn't sound like you were setup for success at all. However seeing how you survived q4 it should be getting easier, not harder.

A lot in this company is sink or swim. Are you a salesfloor etl? How are your team leads? Are your underperformers on paper?

No I'm Front End. I have 1 really great TL that's constantly being pulled to other departments to help. The other 2 are mediocre. They're not the worse but if I give them tasks outside of responding to blinkies, opening and closing the registers there's a very good chance it's not going to get done. Aside from attendance and meal compliance, not much is being documented performance-wise. I simply don't see most of what my team does because I'm constantly running around. My STL wants me to lurk around corners to watch my team but then again my store is still in a staffing crisis and I'm constantly being asked to run around to help. Most days I don't eat and I'm working at least 12 hours.

I'm going to go ahead and apologize because I am always very salty when it comes to external ETL hires. Being a Sr. TL it always seems like a slap in the face to me.

Sounds like you are a little too young for the position and inexperienced because you are being walked all over by your peers. Man up tell them you can't take that LOD shift and run your business. You have been through 4th quarter it sounds like and if you haven't figured it out yet you might need to take a demotion to TL and let one of us experienced employees have a shot.

Again I'm sorry this is a very touchy subject for me and always brings out the worst in me.

I'm going to go ahead and apologize because I am always very salty when it comes to external ETL hires. Being a Sr. TL it always seems like a slap in the face to me.

Sounds like you are a little too young for the position and inexperienced because you are being walked all over by your peers. Man up tell them you can't take that LOD shift and run your business. You have been through 4th quarter it sounds like and if you haven't figured it out yet you might need to take a demotion to TL and let one of us experienced employees have a shot.

Again I'm sorry this is a very touchy subject for me and always brings out the worst in me.

Being young and inexperienced probably isn't the case, OP just needs help.

If confidence is the issue, you must establish yourself among the other ETLs. If you just do whatever your other ETLs tell you to do (which, remember, they are equal to you, same pay, same position almost.) like "Hey take this shift." or "Hey we're having you LOD the entire week." you need to speak up and let your STL know or if you have a Sr. ETL-GE at all confide in them that you aren't 100% comfortable, you don't feel you are completely trained for your position.

A lot of being an ETL is leading and supporting your team, but like you said, it's so hard when you're running around, which I know a lot of ETLs do when they do LOD shifts... even when they aren't LOD, they're constantly running around supporting other departments.

I honestly know nothing because I get paid $11.75/hr and you probably get the big bucks and now you're probably wondering why I'm even posting here, but I've done a management position before and being able to speak for yourself is absolutely KEY. You have to be able to, otherwise you're more likely to just let your other peers run over you and when you don't perform up to par or "the usual" they will bring it up without hesitating as a way of "I'm more superior than you and I literally need no balls to put you down." when most people usually think twice about bringing up issues before they actually do, if that makes sense.

But I think it says something that your store is entrusting you to LOD 5 times a week, maybe they're considering it "on the job training" to get you acclimated to the store and how Target is, while the other ETLs get a break because they've got the newbie doing LOD.

This applies to anyone; Speak up, ask questions, and most importantly, stick up for yourself if you feel untrained or that you're being treated a little unfairly.

If that's not the case, disregard everything.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the stay. A lot of newcomers often come to ask one question and then never return. We're a great community and resource. Remember; Speak up, say "no" to focus on YOUR department. ;) you get me?

Our previous ETL GE wasn't on the schedule as LOD very often, as I recall. She moved to a different ETL position at a different store, and I have yet to see her replacement as LOD, either. Maybe that's just perception, but it seems to me that my store has generally tried to keep the front end ETL at the front end, and designated LOD duties to the more "mobile" ETLs.

However, my store has 11 ETLs, and there are always at least 2 (sometimes 3) on duty in the evenings when I work, but smaller stores may not have that luxury.

Definitely agreeing with the "speak up, ask questions" advice. I can imagine that you might not want to ask questions for fear of making it sound like you don't know what you're doing, but in any new position, particularly with a new company, you need to ask questions to learn.

And sometimes questions from new people can be a way of pointing out issues without calling anyone out, if you know what I mean.

It's frustrating for sure but unlike some of these others they higher straight out of college who are already an " expert,"
he has a desire to learn and grow. I would rather build him up so he can be an exception unlike these other ETLs who are too stubborn to listen.

Sounds like you are a little too young for the position and inexperienced because you are being walked all over by your peers. Man up tell them you can't take that LOD shift and run your business.

I'm neither too young nor inexperienced. I've held many other management positions and have held them with much success. This is my first position where my superiors do not value my input. I talked to them multiple times about the LOD shift and nothing changed. It's not my peers making me take their shifts. It's my STL straight up scheduling me for 4-5 LOD shifts. Your "apology" is completely insincere. I came here for help. Maybe the reason you're not an ETL is because of your poor attitude.

I'm neither too young nor inexperienced. I've held many other management positions and have held them with much success. This is my first position where my superiors do not value my input. I talked to them multiple times about the LOD shift and nothing changed. It's not my peers making me take their shifts. It's my STL straight up scheduling me for 4-5 LOD shifts. Your "apology" is completely insincere. I came here for help. Maybe the reason you're not an ETL is because of your poor attitude.

Sign up for an open door status with your DTL and let them know you're opportunity is to get more time in your department. Let them see your lod schedule. Time to stand up for yourself

Your "apology" is completely insincere. I came here for help. Maybe the reason you're not an ETL is because of your poor attitude.

LearningTree you are right on point, this person sounds judgmental wih a horrible attituted apologizing just ti make herself feel better for being obnoxious doesnt count; would hate to work for someone like her.

In regards to your dilemma: all Targets are struggling during all the changes and transitioa to become a better store in order to survive we have the same issues in my store my STL is uncaple to see all the problems and make plans with her inmediate team (ETLs) to figure out how to better support the struggling department without bringing down the rest of the store as it is right now in my store they close Target Cafe half the day to better utilize the hrs in grocery, any overlap Starbucks has they take one person to zone grocery same with Deli none of the ETL train in food areas actually train not just watch a few hours and then they try to make decisions for dept that they dont understand at all.
I’ve been working for Target since 2010 and fell in love with all their team oriented policies but the last 3yrs have been horrible and I blame my STL more than the job itself for the high turnover ratio we lose team members, Team leads and ETLs but corporate doesnt seem to look at that ‍♀️ I could keep going forever but this just got too long Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back