MEGATHREAD New POS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel like this is worth sharing. This isn’t my store, but I was at another store in my district, and they had New POS on their NCR SCO machines. Had to get pics and videos for you all.
aa07ad0c-e68c-4d87-b098-4efad07d9a61-jpeg.13284

Attachments

• trim.DA0FDE79-9C63-412D-B627-CEE31BB6DDE8.MOV
    847.6 KB
  • AA07AD0C-E68C-4D87-B098-4EFAD07D9A61.jpeg
    AA07AD0C-E68C-4D87-B098-4EFAD07D9A61.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 197
  • trim.A9DF458B-4AF2-4F2E-8994-E2CDCA5049E8.MOV
    6.9 MB
  • trim.77259357-F3FC-40F9-8573-C296A1667247.MOV
    2.8 MB
Last edited:
two things I like:

I like how the ending animation draws your eye to where the receipt comes out. little touch, but very smart since most guests miss it.
as a guest, I love that I can add reusable bag discount after I scan an item-- I always forgot

I came in November of 2020 So i don’t know what that is. What’s the difference between the two?

Cafs wouldn't ask you to pull everything that had sold. They would only drop if he item on the shelf dropped below a certain capacity level. (I want to say that was 50%, but I don't remember exactly.) They'd drop throughout the day and would need to be pulled all day basically. This was possible because we had a backroom team. Personally, I prefer the old way because a) we had a backroom team, and b) closers could focus on reshop, recovery and zone instead of just pulling one for ones all night.

two things I like:

I like how the ending animation draws your eye to where the receipt comes out. little touch, but very smart since most guests miss it.
as a guest, I love that I can add reusable bag discount after I scan an item-- I always forgot
Yes yes, 100% agree. I always forget when I’m at SCO to do that, and I never feel like calling whoever is the SCO Advocate to add it on for me or void the transaction. ESPECIALLY when I’m shopping at my own store. Having it there the whole scanning segment is great.

Feel like this is worth sharing. This isn’t my store, but I was at another store in my district, and they had New POS on their NCR SCO machines. Had to get pics and videos for you all.
aa07ad0c-e68c-4d87-b098-4efad07d9a61-jpeg.13284
Overall it looks like a nice improvement from the guest's perspective. Also, it might just be me, but did it seem more responsive than the regular checklane pos?

Cafs wouldn't ask you to pull everything that had sold. They would only drop if he item on the shelf dropped below a certain capacity level. (I want to say that was 50%, but I don't remember exactly.) They'd drop throughout the day and would need to be pulled all day basically. This was possible because we had a backroom team. Personally, I prefer the old way because a) we had a backroom team, and b) closers could focus on reshop, recovery and zone instead of just pulling one for ones all night.
Oh. So basically what Target tried to do with the Priority pulls.

Also, any nerds wondering, these are running Linux, faster boot, faster checkout, less guests. The black mouse icon gave it away instantly.

Last edited:
Overall it looks like a nice improvement from the guest's perspective. Also, it might just be me, but did it seem more responsive than the regular checklane pos?

Yeah, it did seem a lot more responsive. A little more responsive than the Lanes (prob because most lanes still run Windows instead of Linux,) and a hell of a lot faster than eSCO or tSCO.

wait a damn- why does this look and feel faster than the new homemade SCOs my target got >:|

Lol! How that turns out. IDK why, but my only two guesses, and these are just guesses with no evidence behind them, are either 1. That yours are so new that they still need to get worn out. The 2021 New Stores/Remodels like your store are the first ones to get NextGen SCO. and 2: That since Target spent the last year and a half trying to get New POS running on the NCR SCOs, maybe they made it work too well and it somehow runs perfectly, or at least very good. Besides the cursor being on the screen when I used it today, it ran smooth as butter, with the only load buffer being when I scanned my drink, and even so, that was for a split second. The menus loaded well, and the idle animation ran perfectly.

Considering what you've posted about NextGen SCO the past few weeks, and the issues you've been facing, is part of you wishing you guys got leftover NCRs and been patient for the update to come? Some of the 2021 remodels got leftover NCR machines while some got NextGen SCO. New POS rollout for NCR is happening as we speak, as you can see...

Considering what you've posted about NextGen SCO the past few weeks, and the issues you've been facing, is part of you wishing you guys got leftover NCRs and been patient for the update to come? Some of the 2021 remodels got leftover NCR machines while some got NextGen SCO. New POS rollout for NCR is happening as we speak, as you can see...
I think it actually boils down to an even easier answer. Computer Resources. Somehow Spot threw 17 gigs of ram in the registers on the lanes at my store BUT spent 8 gigs on the new SCOs. I checked them while they were idle and it was at about 50 percent which is pretty bad. Also! Screen Resolution. NCR screens are pretty low resolution BUT the nextgen SCOs are pretty high quality (can't tell if its 1080p or 1440p) but the NCR scos use a smaller and weirder resolution requiring fewer computer resources.

If you're not a nerd like me this basically means the machine doesn't need to work as hard to display something on a higher quality screen than a lower-quality screen, therefore, requiring a lot less resources. Also, they seemed to have fixed the problems with the SCOs.

It doesn't laggy by any means it just takes a while to load stuff like scanning things. I'll record it another day to compare.

Also when you scan your wallet and that annoying green bar is over the pay button. you can spam where the button normally is and skip it lol.

more responsive than the regular checklane pos?

faster checkout

more responsive than the Lanes

i know y’all are referring to the overall response of the interface, but I just want to point out how New POS does not allow you to speed up anything like Classic POS did.

For example, you could scan items faster on the flatbed scanner on the lanes, and Classic POS would just “catch up” with you. You could also get trigger happy with the handheld scanner and scan an item like 5 times and it would scan that many times.

New POS laughs at you and does a quick (0.75-1.5 seconds) loading screen after every item scanned and if you get too trigger happy with the handheld it’ll make that “dee-DOOT-doot” sad “b!tch, you thought!!” sound and force you to wait.
This quick trigger scanning was great for scanning GiftCards and immediately scan the Access Code barcode.

Now, I just have to wait on POS to decide it’s ready.

This quick trigger scanning was great for scanning GiftCards and immediately scan the Access Code barcode.
I do miss this... Honestly, once you get into the swing of it it really isn't the worst but its not good by any means lol. Especially those electronics gift card scammers ugh. I mean old SCO would give you the
dee-DOOT-doot
too lol. I remember when I first started working at target and I was on the classic POS and tried to scan something and was so confused when I heard that sound. It was asking if they wanted a protection plan.
Classic POS would just “catch up” with you
To be fair. New POS is pretty snappy on Linux. On Windows it was SHIT but running it on Linux is snappy. I used to hate the new POS but honestly, I like it more than the classic. Just so much more stable and soooo much easier to train on. I remember like October we got a new electronics TM and I told him not to use the classic pos unless needed to just because he'd be wasting his time learning the old POS since it would get updated in a week. With that said I wish the GS was a bit different. Wish it was like SBUX where its just a redesigned In-Store checkout with a few more bells and whistles.

Also, I shouldn't need to wait for a defect label to fully print before proceeding, it should do it in the background. Throw the request and just tell me if it fails.

What are these two?
eSCO is the SCO that’s being replaced right now. It’s a combination of the backend of New POS, with the guest-facing UI of tSCO, and some other Classic POS pieces of software in there too, hence the 4 digit pins and super slow restarts.

tSCO is the old old SCO software, introduced in 2016 to replace the default NCR SCO software that every other store uses. Majority of stores updated to eSCO in January 2020, but a few still used tSCO until a few weeks ago, when they updated to New POS. It’s basically Classic POS on the backend, store mode, etc… but with a different UI for the Guest Facing portion.

In short

tSCO (Target Self-Checkout): Runs on Classic POS 100%. Decommissioned January 2021.

eSCO (Enterprise Self-Checkout): Fusion of Classic and New POS internally in the software. Guest Facing portion is the same as tSCO, but Store Mode is redesigned. Made as a stopgap between tSCO and New POS in ealry 2020 when corporate thought New POS would be 100% chainwide before the end of 2020. (COVID threw a wrench in that.)

GUX (Guest User Experience): The name of the SCO app on New POS. Completely redesigned, same software as all the other registers in the store.

(All the New POS apps have names. FLUX [Front Lanes User Experience] is the checkout app, SBUX [Starbucks User Experience] is Starbucks, AUX [Advocate User Experience] is Guest Service, etc…)

I have learned that Paid and Left Ring-In and Payout, for some stupid reason, will not be coming to New POS. At least at my store, we are very strict with P&L so we’re probably gonna fall apart and implode when Classic goes away and we can’t log the P&Ls. Apparently, they want us to just write it in the log in the Service Desk binder. So no receipt with the items, no GiftCard payout, no nothing. Just the log sheets. Apparently, P&L was planned to be added to New POS but was scrapped. There was also some talk about tying it to RTS, which seems like not an awful idea to me.

Also, NSF Payments will not be added as well, but that will still be able to be done over the phone, and they are so rare anyways. (Been at target for 15 months, never seen one.)

I have learned that Paid and Left Ring-In and Payout, for some stupid reason, will not be coming to New POS. At least at my store, we are very strict with P&L so we’re probably gonna fall apart and implode when Classic goes away and we can’t log the P&Ls. Apparently, they want us to just write it in the log in the Service Desk binder. So no receipt with the items, no GiftCard payout, no nothing. Just the log sheets.
"just the log sheets" is the process as listed on workbench so

The new speed IDs are kind of horrible on the new POS and I have an idea and want to hear your thoughts. Obviously they don’t want to risk your account being accessed if someone gets your slip so I have an idea. When you make a speed ID the first time you scan it you need to type in your passcode then after that you won’t need to type it in when scanning it. If you manually sign in while you have an active speed ID that can skip the passcode it will automatically require the passcode on that speed ID again. When your designated shift is over it requires the passcode every time. Whenever you clock out on the time clock for meals or ending work it will require the passcode on your speed ID to reactive it. This makes the speed ID secure and quick. Even if you lose your speed ID you would have to manually sign in to make a new one which would deactivate the old one. Thoughts on this idea?

Even if you lose your speed ID you would have to manually sign in to make a new one which would deactivate the old one. Thoughts on this idea?
I think the old POS did this. I've made two Speed IDs before, the original one doesn't work if you print a new one.

I think the old POS did this. I've made two Speed IDs before, the original one doesn't work if you print a new one.
Even if you changed your passcode your speed ID on the old pos still worked until that shift time you selected is over. I think I tested this one time.

New Communication from myDay/Workbench for New POS. Now, when an Apple product is scanned, it will prompt us to ask the Guest to sign up for AppleCare on the product. I have no idea if this is in addition to asking about AllState Protection Plans (those aren't going away anytime soon,) or if Apple products won't ask for AllState and only AppleCare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back