MEGATHREAD New POS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! Should be instant though

love that they enabled them and specifically said don’t use them
Agreed lol.

while they are fast they are still VERY buggy. Like VERY buggy. Like I said it could be lightning fast between apps. Or it could take 2x longer to open it from what I’ve heard but if it’s to the point where they said not to use it then it must have really been shot

plus that little U trick with the corners still works but fast restart isn’t very fast. It’s a normal full reboot.

you can tell if your store has them by one super easy detail. If you tap on the screen at any time and it’s like a little diamond and it does a little ripple effect. You’ve got windows. If you see a black mouse cursor when you tap. You’ve got Linux.

linux is the long term plan because hq wants to stop having to pay windows licensing fees for 20,000+ registers chainwide and also the version of windows they use is EOL in like, october IIRC

lot of changes coming down the pipe in the next 12-24 months tbh

linux is the long term plan because hq wants to stop having to pay windows licensing fees for 20,000+ registers chainwide and also the version of windows they use is EOL in like, october IIRC

lot of changes coming down the pipe in the next 12-24 months tbh
totally makes sense honestly. Linux is the move IMHO but I don't know HOW they're going to plan on doing the FULL switch because how is the pharmacy going to work also how are MarketSource employees supposed to sign in. If they don't want to pay for window licensing fees. So either give them a device login (which can be a security problem) or just buy windows for electronics or just delete marketsource from target LMAO.

What I want to know is why this day in age we have an app that lags on a full featured pc with an Intel I5 and 8gb or ram, when other companies have full on POS solutions for an android or ios tablet with far more powerful features that is snappy on an ARM chip. boggles my mind! When they first mentioned the new POS way back i was excited thinking tablets then i saw it was a half ass solution.

@sunnydays You seem super knowledgeable on the subject. I love that. One of my coworkers was telling me that he was at another store and saw working keyboards with the new POS. Is that a thing anywhere?

@sunnydays You seem super knowledgeable on the subject. I love that. One of my coworkers was telling me that he was at another store and saw working keyboards with the new POS. Is that a thing anywhere?
dont know anything about that, will look into it when im back in store on monday though

Keyboards are coming back— they heard us
now can we get back to 4 digit pins, and can we at the very least be able to cycle past the last 3-4? i hate how now i cant reuse a pin or password within the last what was it 12 times? i have added symbols to my password and i always forget what symbol im on lol

Any idea on when they are presumably going to bring these to self checkouts? Obviously once they replace the old POS completely we all aren’t able to going to login to the new SCO since it uses the classic login system.

Any idea on when they are presumably going to bring these to self checkouts? Obviously once they replace the old POS completely we all aren’t able to going to login to the new SCO since it uses the classic login system.
technically it already runs on a weird version of the new backend since it shares transaction data correctly with new pos so i imagine once classic is fully removed from stores they’ll just update the login process

I will change
technically it already runs on a weird version of the new backend since it shares transaction data correctly with new pos so i imagine once classic is fully removed from stores they’ll just update the login process
New pos has a new version of SCO though that you can access from the Home Screen. I think the current version of SCO (why do they keep naming it “new SCO”?) is a stepping stone

I wonder how well they’re gonna work considering the new POS is web based.

I really double that the function keys would work. I wonder if they’ll update them to do different things?
Idk about the function keys but at least the numbers are. I hope they can repurpose function keys though

I feel like they should be able to repurpose them but not all. Like no more “additional cashiers to guest service” or help menu
The K-keys and other weird keys on the keyboard (like the "Addt'l Assist" button you allude to) are just remapped F-keys and key sequences that currently talk to the Windows OS to do what is necessary, so I'm sure they can just program the input of those keys to do something else on whatever platform they run New POS on.

I don't see a use for the K-keys anymore though, since there are no quick shortcuts in New POS anymore.

The K-keys and other weird keys on the keyboard (like the "Addt'l Assist" button you allude to) are just remapped F-keys and key sequences that currently talk to the Windows OS to do what is necessary, so I'm sure they can just program the input of those keys to do something else on whatever platform they run New POS on.

I don't see a use for the K-keys anymore though, since there are no quick shortcuts in New POS anymore.

I feel like some could still be useful for those who’ve memorized the layouts for things like GS or TMs like me who know the price match menu like the back of my hand.

Another use I can see it having having using the void button. Other stuff like Price Inquiry could be used to just be a shortcut button to the inquiry app.

With all that said I totally understand if people don’t want to use the keyboard anymore just because they’re already used to it like dedicated cashiers but having a button in the menu that says like “ show shortcut keys” and it would say K1 K2 etc.

It’s really not an additional expense so I don’t really see why they don’t just include them.

I feel like some could still be useful for those who’ve memorized the layouts for things like GS or TMs like me who know the price match menu like the back of my hand.

Another use I can see it having having using the void button. Other stuff like Price Inquiry could be used to just be a shortcut button to the inquiry app.

With all that said I totally understand if people don’t want to use the keyboard anymore just because they’re already used to it like dedicated cashiers but having a button in the menu that says like “ show shortcut keys” and it would say K1 K2 etc.

It’s really not an additional expense so I don’t really see why they don’t just include them.
This I hope k5 k2 will still start card lookup lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back