MEGATHREAD New POS

Status
Not open for further replies.
end goal (like 2-3 years down the road) is an AIO solution that runs on a skinny device like a tablet or whatever
I will say no way in absolute HELL is that going to happen 2-3 years maybe in 5 years they’ll start including it in remodels but no way in hell is target gonna sink money into a new PoS. The one that we have now works fine and it webbased ( to my knowledge ) I don’t know how well function keys tie into web based applications.

I will say no way in absolute HELL is that going to happen 2-3 years maybe in 5 years they’ll start including it in remodels but no way in hell is target gonna sink money into a new PoS. The one that we have now works fine and it webbased ( to my knowledge ) I don’t know how well function keys tie into web based applications.

the one we have now on a hardware basis costs money to maintain and is the source of a lot of csc calls and compucom visits which is part of the reason they want to migrate to a linux-based tablet solution down the road. have to spend a bit upfront but the return on the other side of it thru reduced ongoing support costs basically pays for the rollout

flux/positron/new pos/whatever you want to call it is not web based or anything its an actual application

anyway i checked workbench today and didnt see anything official about keyboard support so idk what is going on there

the one we have now on a hardware basis costs money to maintain and is the source of a lot of csc calls and compucom visits which is part of the reason they want to migrate to a linux-based tablet solution down the road. have to spend a bit upfront but the return on the other side of it thru reduced ongoing support costs basically pays for the rollout

flux/positron/new pos/whatever you want to call it is not web based or anything its an actual application

anyway i checked workbench today and didnt see anything official about keyboard support so idk what is going on there
I think it’s web based. If it was a application they would install stuff into the ram to make the system fast like the old one.

I think it’s web based. If it was a application they would install stuff into the ram to make the system fast like the old one.
It may be a bit of a hybrid.

There are portions of the New POS software that act with lightning speed. For example, the initial login screen where you type in your TM number. That's probably the fastest response to touch I've ever seen on a Target device, ever!

Once the application is logged in is where the nightmare begins. I think this Positron software or whatever is a shell running on the RAM of the Windows PC, but the loaded graphics and overall "POS" may be web parts.

The idea of New POS also includes the ability to deploy it to anything and everything. If it's purely web-based, you'll run into rendering issues as browsers across different devices (even if the same browser — think how differently your Chrome browser handles pages on a computer than your phone, even if you have either set to display it as web/desktop version) and it'll ruin the goal of "one size fits all" deployment.

If you have a chance, play around with the myCheckout app on the myDevices with the Verifone attachment. That's basically a miniature version of New POS when you put it in Line Busting mode.

Here's also a current "can you suspend/pick up" relationship between these rollouts.
1622043296996.png

Agreed. I think this system is going to be more open compared to the old one. Targets databases got hacked a while back causing the development team to make it a completely closed system. I think they have finally recovered and are starting to open it back up to a more web based system instead of a completely closed system that only updated at night. I think this will fix all same day issues we have on the system. The login is definitely web based because it updates instantly when you change your passcode on your device. It also says not to bookmark the login screen when you click the information button. It’s a slow system because it’s constantly updating all the information. The old system just went to the stores servers and was then updated overnight compared to this one which updates instantly. Certain things will still remain closed system however.

There are portions of the New POS software that act with lightning speed. For example, the initial login screen where you type in your TM number. That's probably the fastest response to touch I've ever seen on a Target device, ever!

Once the application is logged in is where the nightmare begins. I think this Positron software or whatever is a shell running on the RAM of the Windows PC, but the loaded graphics and overall "POS" may be web parts.

The idea of New POS also includes the ability to deploy it to anything and everything. If it's purely web-based, you'll run into rendering issues as browsers across different devices (even if the same browser — think how differently your Chrome browser handles pages on a computer than your phone, even if you have either set to display it as web/desktop version) and it'll ruin the goal of "one size fits all" deployment.

If you have a chance, play around with the myCheckout app on the myDevices with the Verifone attachment. That's basically a miniature version of New POS when you put it in Line Busting mode.

Here's also a current "can you suspend/pick up" relationship between these rollouts.
View attachment 12532

Next time you do a transaction and they pay and that little “$20.44 Debit Card Applied!“ or even the target circle thing. There is a SUPER minor visual bug that made me think that the actual checkout screen is web based. When that little pop up comes up on the right side a scroll bar appears. It looks like the chrome scroll bar or more likely chromium or chromium based.

Plus sometimes and I haven’t seen this in a while the screens would just be black even after you tap. You had to tap on some of the elements to reload them like the num pad. Kinda like those old windows bugs where you’d have a frozen screen on your desktop and dragging the selector square over them updated it.

Agreed. I think this system is going to be more open compared to the old one. Targets databases got hacked a while back causing the development team to make it a completely closed system. I think they have finally recovered and are starting to open it back up to a more web based system instead of a completely closed system that only updated at night. I think this will fix all same day issues we have on the system. The login is definitely web based because it updates instantly when you change your passcode on your device. It also says not to bookmark the login screen when you click the information button. It’s a slow system because it’s constantly updating all the information. The old system just went to the stores servers and was then updated overnight compared to this one which updates instantly. Certain things will still remain closed system however.
Nice thing about it being like this is that same day diff store returns will not be any issue

I think they have finally recovered and are starting to open it back up to a more web based system instead of a completely closed system that only updated at night.
flux/positron updates overnight just like every other piece of store-side technology chainwide. nothing at the store level updates during the day because it can impact business operations if something goes wrong. unless you're referring to stuff like register data for sameday returns in which case all of that data has always been available it's just classic fucking sucked and couldn't access any of it
I think this will fix all same day issues we have on the system.
the only same day issues that will be fixed are ones that happen off-register, like database issues or remote server failure like the opu issue earlier this year or the register outage in 2019.
The login is definitely web based because it updates instantly when you change your passcode on your device. It also says not to bookmark the login screen when you click the information button.
yes, target's single sign on system is web-based chainwide. just a series of webapps. for instance on portable devices that support biometrics you can use your fingerprint to login!
It’s a slow system because it’s constantly updating all the information.
no it's slow because the register hardware sucks and their shit isn't optimized and they know it. it's literally in their development group comments about interaction speeds and store survey feedback

I don't care about same day returns from another store. What I really wish we could do is to be able to process a same day OPU return.

You can though. Through the app. I've done it many times.

You can though. Through the app. I've done it many times.

With the barcode or fix a mistake? Too many times we will complete and order and someone will say, "oh I don't want this one after all"

With the barcode. In the app, go to their online purchase history and have them click “return an item”. It gives you DCPI/VCD info. You can find price by clicking on receipt button. You should know your store tax rate.

Now if they use discounts and coupons all bets are off but this workaround usually makes the guest happy.

With the barcode. In the app, go to their online purchase history and have them click “return an item”. It gives you DCPI/VCD info. You can find price by clicking on receipt button. You should know your store tax rate.

Now if they use discounts and coupons all bets are off but this workaround usually makes the guest happy.
They also have to insert card used which sucks for drive up

They also have to insert card used which sucks for drive up

Well to be fair, most DU people aren't gonna return an item on the spot. They will take it home and then bring it back to store to return. I haven't had a single DU person ever get out of their car to inspect their bags.

Well to be fair, most DU people aren't gonna return an item on the spot. They will take it home and then bring it back to store to return. I haven't had a single DU person ever get out of their car to inspect their bags.

Sometimes they come inside and say "I just picked this up"

Not on the spot but definitely same day

I feel like unless they include function buttons back there really isn’t much of a use for the keyboard any more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back