Service & Engagement New SCO Pilot

I have great confidence that our Front End Team didn't even know about this.

Just last Sunday I rang for an hour at 2:00 PM because we didn't have any cashiers.

I saw the grid and there we no calloffs.
That's unusual for a Sunday at 2pm, at least where I live.

They do this and then wonder why their turnover is so bad. No one gets hours and when they do its shit hours like this and then you get shit on for not doing your own work or forgetting something because you were cashiering

God
That's unusual for a Sunday at 2pm, at least where I live.

They do this and then wonder why their turnover is so bad. No one gets hours and when they do its shit hours like this and then you get shit on for not doing your own work or forgetting something because you were cashiering
I have always thought there was a strong correlation between call offs and not having very many hours.

@SigningLady @gsa4lyfe Welp, turns out Express Self-Checkout is gonna be a permanent chainwide thing starting Sunday the 17th of March. Corporate just announced it publicly yesterday. Hope you didn't toss out ALL that ISM. Otherwise be ready to order more lol.

I gave our 1 sign to the front end ETL as soon as it came in. If she didn't keep it, it's on her to get another.

@SigningLady @gsa4lyfe Welp, turns out Express Self-Checkout is gonna be a permanent chainwide thing starting Sunday the 17th of March. Corporate just announced it publicly yesterday. Hope you didn't toss out ALL that ISM. Otherwise be ready to order more lol.

To save you all a click:

"At Target, we’re always listening to our guests so we can deliver a joyful and convenient shopping experience. Checking out is one of the most important moments of the Target run, and we know that a fast, easy experience — whether at self-checkout or the lanes staffed by our friendly team members — is critical to getting guests on their way quickly.

During the pandemic, many guests preferred using self-checkout for all their purchases because it offered them a contactless option. Today, ease and convenience are top of mind, so, to learn more about guests’ self-checkout preferences, we piloted the concept of Express Self-Checkout with limits of 10 items or fewer at about 200 stores last fall. The result: Self-checkout was twice as fast at our pilot stores. By having the option to pick self-checkout for a quick trip, or a traditional, staffed lane when their cart is full, guests who were surveyed told us the overall checkout experience was better, too.

Guided by this guest feedback, we’re making updates chainwide to make our checkout experience even more enjoyable. Beginning March 17:

• We’re rolling out Express Self-Checkout with limits of 10 items or fewer at most of our nearly 2,000 stores nationwide.
  • We’re opening more traditional lanes staffed by our team members across all our stores for guests who have more in their Target carts, need a helping hand, or just enjoy connecting with our team to help them get on their way sooner.
  • Store leaders have the flexibility to open more lanes staffed by team members and set self-checkout hours that are right for their store. While the hours of operation may vary based on store needs, Express Self-Checkout will be available during the busiest shopping times.
  • We’re also continuing to invest in additional training to ensure that our teams can continue to provide great guest service during the checkout.
We’ll continue evolving to match guests with the right checkout options so they can get what they need — alongside same-day fulfillment services like Drive Up, Order Pick Up and Target’s same-day delivery. It’s all in service to demonstrate the convenience, joy and value of the Target run."
Yeah they shared with SDs on Monday but they sent out all new ism this week to support it. It’s a giant sign.

The ultimate cause to all the stores problems is no payroll. The ceos and hq need to stop being greedy cheapskates and support the stores.
They're not going to. If my store is any indication they are going to grind out every iota of work from every single TM while cutting payroll and making work as miserable as possible until people start leaving. For a while it was better, they were hiring new people left and right. Then it got bad again.

Is it any wonder people are calling out?

Every day people are getting pulled off the floor for talks over being 2 or 3 minutes late back from breaks, and these talks are always at least 10 minutes long. Every day we are doing multiple backup calls for at least 2 or 3 people. Every day my stress gets worse - god forbid you stand idle for more than 2 or 3 seconds or to drink water. Get at the end of the line to pull people in! Nevermind you were literally about to do that, nevermind they already know you know this. Nevermind they tell you this in the most condescending tone I've ever heard a person use. I used to think it was just me but no, they do this to EVERYONE.

I’ve been getting killed because our SCO utilization is in the mid-high 70s still, but they literally schedule me one advocate and they have to man SCO. Unless I am on register or SCO my entire shift, which isn’t possible, we have no one scheduled for the checklanes. It’s insane. I know our checkout hours are going somewhere, but my ETL and SD have been less than helpful.

Actually implementing 10 items or less with the schedule they give me (this close to easter too!!!) might actually kill me or have me walk out.

I’ve been getting killed because our SCO utilization is in the mid-high 70s still, but they literally schedule me one advocate and they have to man SCO. Unless I am on register or SCO my entire shift, which isn’t possible, we have no one scheduled for the checklanes. It’s insane. I know our checkout hours are going somewhere, but my ETL and SD have been less than helpful.

Actually implementing 10 items or less with the schedule they give me (this close to easter too!!!) might actually kill me or have me walk out.
I'm going to guess the hours are going to Fulfillment. Even when we DO have cashiers they're trained and often pulled for OPU and DU

They're not going to. If my store is any indication they are going to grind out every iota of work from every single TM while cutting payroll and making work as miserable as possible until people start leaving. For a while it was better, they were hiring new people left and right. Then it got bad again.

Is it any wonder people are calling out?

Every day people are getting pulled off the floor for talks over being 2 or 3 minutes late back from breaks, and these talks are always at least 10 minutes long. Every day we are doing multiple backup calls for at least 2 or 3 people. Every day my stress gets worse - god forbid you stand idle for more than 2 or 3 seconds or to drink water. Get at the end of the line to pull people in! Nevermind you were literally about to do that, nevermind they already know you know this. Nevermind they tell you this in the most condescending tone I've ever heard a person use. I used to think it was just me but no, they do this to EVERYONE.
No way in hell. They never have. They aren’t going to start now.

I'm going to guess the hours are going to Fulfillment. Even when we DO have cashiers they're trained and often pulled for OPU and DU
Most likely. I came in this weekend for a mid shift. I clocked in and went right to the floor and was immediately met by my SD telling me it was unacceptable to have no cashiers on at that point of the day… TO FIND OUT SHE PULLED MY ONLY 2 CASHIERS TO FULFILLMENT. like be so for real.

An update on this from reading up on Workbench.

SuperTargets, alongside select Target Greatland stores will be partially excluded from Express Self-Checkout.

SuperTargets that have one bank of SCO will still have regular Self-Checkout, not Express Self-Checkout if their bank of SCO is on Grocery side/Green side, depending on how you refer to it as, and it will continue to always be open.

SuperTargets and Target Greatland stores that have two banks of SCO, aka one bank at Grocery/Green side and another bank at GM/Service Desk/Blue side (however your store calls it) will have the one on Grocery side remain normal and always be open, while the one on GM side will be Express Self-Checkout 10 items or less and be open limited, like how the other regular Targets are.

Cafe SCOs will now be permanently closed for stores that have a SCO at their Cafe/Snack Bar/Taste of Target.
IGS stores may not have IGS be the only form of Checkout available.

During regular times, there must be one Cashier for every SCO bank open. For most stores, that means if SCO is open, there must be at least one Cashier. And for stores with a second set of SCO, if both sets of SCO are open, there must be at least two Cashiers.
During peak times, there must be two Cashiers for every SCO bank open. For most stores, that means if SCO is open, there must be at least two Cashiers. And for stores with a second set of SCO, if both sets of SCO are open, there must be at least four Cashiers.

And this last one is for everyone, and has been the case since February. SCO may not, for any reason, be the only Checkout option available. There must always be a Checklane from Open-Close. If there is just one Checkout Advocate, they should be a Cashier and not SCO.

And this last one is for everyone, and has been the case since February. SCO may not, for any reason, be the only Checkout option available. There must always be a Checklane from Open-Close. If there is just one Checkout Advocate, they should be a Cashier and not SCO.
Someone should tell my store management then, they're doing no SCO until 10 am...

Yep. My store has STILL been running SCO only. When our DSD walked in the other day, my SD tried to play it off like that clearly isn’t the case, but our near 80% SCO utilization absolutely tells the truth. Also, our DSD walked in 3 days later to only SCO open again and I wasn’t even there yet, so I extra loved that.

Pray that they finally schedule me some advocates. They’ve been giving me 1 checkout, 1 GS, and 1 DU and expecting me to make do. SD said the single checkout advocate had to be on SCO because she’s “not letting the salesfloor back up the front when the front end has a TL here.” This store has been an absolute nightmare for me.

They’ve been giving me 1 checkout, 1 GS, and 1 DU and expecting me to make do.

Yes. And then they are saying if there is IGS, that can't be used as a checkout? What? This is what I mean about not micro-managing stores. I know how to run the front end effectively after 8:30. It might not be perfect or ideal in Corp's mind but it works w/o using SCO and gets people out the door quickly.

Last edited:
Yes. And then they are saying if there is IGS, that can't be used as a checkout? What? This is what I mean about not micro-managing stores. I know how to run the front end effectively after 8:30. It might not be perfect or ideal in Corp's mind but it works w/o using SCO and gets people out the door quickly.

Should clarify that IGS can be used for Checkout, but it can't be the only form of non-SCO Checkout, and that there should still be a Checklane open. But I totally agree with what you're saying.

Corporate gonna corporate.

An update on this from reading up on Workbench.

SuperTargets, alongside select Target Greatland stores will be partially excluded from Express Self-Checkout.

SuperTargets that have one bank of SCO will still have regular Self-Checkout, not Express Self-Checkout if their bank of SCO is on Grocery side/Green side, depending on how you refer to it as, and it will continue to always be open.

SuperTargets and Target Greatland stores that have two banks of SCO, aka one bank at Grocery/Green side and another bank at GM/Service Desk/Blue side (however your store calls it) will have the one on Grocery side remain normal and always be open, while the one on GM side will be Express Self-Checkout 10 items or less and be open limited, like how the other regular Targets are.

Cafe SCOs will now be permanently closed for stores that have a SCO at their Cafe/Snack Bar/Taste of Target.
IGS stores may not have IGS be the only form of Checkout available.

During regular times, there must be one Cashier for every SCO bank open. For most stores, that means if SCO is open, there must be at least one Cashier. And for stores with a second set of SCO, if both sets of SCO are open, there must be at least two Cashiers.
During peak times, there must be two Cashiers for every SCO bank open. For most stores, that means if SCO is open, there must be at least two Cashiers. And for stores with a second set of SCO, if both sets of SCO are open, there must be at least four Cashiers.

Damn, are small formats not part of the exception? My store has five SCOs, three myCheckouts/linebusters, and 2 registers. They basically designed the whole store around being mostly SCO-centered, so this will just not work. If anything, Target will regret designing my store how they did because it is ALL one line, so if they say ten items or less at SCO, it will be a nightmare.

Back