Archived New STL "problems"

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got a new STL a few months ago and I'm having a hard time interacting with him. Our old STL was the worst and everyone hated him. The new guy is better in that regard because he'll actually talk to TMs and get their thoughts and opinions on things and seems to actually take a proactive approach to getting our store to look better than it has. These things are all great and I'm happy about it. Now the "problem" is that he's a little odd I suppose. He jokes around all the time and is hardly serious, at least around me. Now I rather have that than some terrible no fun allowed boss. However, when it comes down to it, he still is the leader of the entire store and I'm kind of lost as to how I should act around him. I love joking around as well but I also want to be viewed as somewhat professional to those in power. Help.

You may be one of the lucky ones and got a STL who has a management style based around treating his staff like people, trying to keep up their spirits despite difficult times.
Those are the kind of bosses you prey for.
They are professionals but they keep things from being overwhelming and try to make sure everyone is able to deal.

Hopefully you don't have a bro who jokes around and stuff because he's covering.
Had an ETL like that, seemed like a great guy from a few feet away but was a real prick if you got too close.

Just be yourself, maybe keep a funny or two in you back pocket.

Act professional but don't act like a stiff. If you feel he is acting unprofessional I wouldn't mirror that behavior. Maybe laugh at his jokes/behavior but I wouldn't repeat it exactly. It's nice having an STL who is friendly, which they should be. All bosses should be approachable. Most successful leadership texts since the collapse of the economy in 2008 recommend creating a happy work environment for employees. In theory, Target is all about being friendly but some stores don't emulate that.

Maybe he is trying to keep things loose but feels everyone knows that work has to get done. I'm all for having fun and getting work done at the same time. I joked around with my team all the time but they knew that I didn't take crap. If everyone is doing their job there is no reason we can't have fun while doing it. I treated my TLs like equal colleagues. We joked with each other, free range to speak freely, but we knew when to have fun and when to be serious.

So have some fun, get work done, and enjoy having an STL who is approachable.

The Stl we had before our current one was awful. She literally stayed in her office all day, painting her nails, curling her hair. and re doing her makeup. She kept makeup and a curling iron in her desk drawer...she was seen taking them out and using them...that's how I know not like I went through her drawers. In the rare event that she would come out of her office she was unbearable at best. She didn't know what she was doing, she talked about team members where they could hear her and she was just a ...well you now . The current stl is pretty much the same...except he doesn't do his hair or makeup in his office ( that I know of ...although it is always perfectly combed). He doesn't know what he is doing he bad mouths not only team members but etls as well....and he only talks to certain team members...my way of dealing with him is not to deal with him unless Ihave to. I will never be rude to him...not because he is the stl...I am just not a rude person. I don't see how he got his own store...he has no leadership abilities what so ever and if he does...he must be saving them for a rainy day

Our current STL amuses me with the weird shit she does sometimes. I overheard ETL-HR and a SR. TL today both gossiping about how they think it's really weird that the STL calls them from home, gives them her login details and asks them to login as her and check emails and other info she can't access while at home and relay the info to her over the phone.

Our current STL amuses me with the weird shit she does sometimes. I overheard ETL-HR and a SR. TL today both gossiping about how they think it's really weird that the STL calls them from home, gives them her login details and asks them to login as her and check emails and other info she can't access while at home and relay the info to her over the phone.
Wow, talk about auto-term offenses. Esp. after the data breach!

i don't get what kind of info she couldn't access at home.

No clue, the conversation didn't last long but I was sitting in the break room with a Sr. TL and an Intern when the ETL-HR came in and groaned about having the STL call and ask her to login as her and relay info, and the Sr. TL chimed in that she was glad to hear she wasn't the only one the STL called and had do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back