Archived New Team Members getting more hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is in the right section of the forum, but recently my target hired a couple of new team members for the front lanes/front area of the store. They're all nice, but what we all noticed was that they are being scheduled full time aka 8 hour shifts for every single one of their shifts. Is that right?

When most of us were hired, we were only hired as part-time employees with only four hour shifts, but all these new people are getting 8 hours and they're only working seasonal...

Is giving them more hours part of the new seasonal thing? It's getting frustrated because most of us want hours but we dont get them... We've all been asking for full 8 hour shifts, but of course they wont budge. Do you think this is a way of weaving out all the old people (like half of our cashiers already left, not because of this problem, but because they've found better jobs/couldnt deal with target anymore.)

Could be a few things, if they're engaging the customers at the registers and your GSA or GSTL are hearing the right things from them then they may get more hours.

I know at my store they tend to give the new cashiers hours right before the holiday season just to make sure they're actually ready for the holidays. There's nothing worse than having a cashier with no experience on register during the holidays I can't stress that enough. Sometimes training isn't enough, especially with some of our off the book policies that take place at the registers that deal w/ guest interaction such as price changes and what not. I know at our store our ETL's and STL are stressing heavily on not to argue with guests or even question price difference on a lot of products. If the amount is not a substantial % of the items total price there's no reason to not just give them the price they want. Stuff like that will only be learned through trial and error as far as gauging what you can actual do for the guest.

Also, make sure your availability in myTIME is setup for open availability and make sure the little box that says "requested hours" says 40 or however many you want. If it's not in there your scheduler writer may over look you in conjunction with your HR ETL because I know at our store if your availability isn't as flexible as someone else's they will give person B more hours than you. Just take a look into it, and keep stressing it. Have a 1 on 1 sit down with your HR ETL and really tell her how you want more hours.

Not only did I have a similar issue, but I sat down with my HR ETL and STL really stressed to them how much I wanted to work more and not only did I get more hours starting a few weeks ago but since then they've put me on the TL bench which I totally understand means not too much but it's something they've wanted to do with me but couldn't since I wasn't working enough hours. Currently there's only two of us on the "bench" at our store and there are no openings but the past couple days we've really been getting a lot more chances to lead.

Initiative and being flexible throughout the store will really increase your hours though, so another suggestion of mine would be to get cross trained. Even if it's through another cashier station at your store. I.E GS, FA. My big suggestion is to try to get some salesfloor training in, that's where your going to get a lot of side hours because it will allow you to pick up shifts off the board when people post them.
Hope this HELPS!

Its simply that new TMs and seasonals get paid less than regular TMs. The store can then penny pinch payroll.

I remember in my last years (with 9 years at Target) I was getting scheduled like 20 hours at most a week. I worked all the front and the floor. But the seasonals were getting 30+ hours.

But you need to have your availability open and willing to cross train.

Another possible reason:
Under Max, some HR's would set a maximum hours worked per day for cashiers at 4 hours to avoid gaps in coverage caused by lunches. These were keyed in for each cashier TM and would effect the shifts that populated every week. With MyTime, they made it a lot harder to change these settings, so it automatically defaults to 8 hour maximums, but those cashiers hired under max are still capped at 4 hours a day when MyTime populates the schedule.

I don't know if this is in the right section of the forum, but recently my target hired a couple of new team members for the front lanes/front area of the store. They're all nice, but what we all noticed was that they are being scheduled full time aka 8 hour shifts for every single one of their shifts. Is that right?

When most of us were hired, we were only hired as part-time employees with only four hour shifts, but all these new people are getting 8 hours and they're only working seasonal...

Is giving them more hours part of the new seasonal thing? It's getting frustrated because most of us want hours but we dont get them... We've all been asking for full 8 hour shifts, but of course they wont budge. Do you think this is a way of weaving out all the old people (like half of our cashiers already left, not because of this problem, but because they've found better jobs/couldnt deal with target anymore.)

Are you at my store? All the new front end hires are getting frequent 8-hour shifts and 30+ hours per week. Despite most of them being in school, and they can't deal with these hours. As opposed to me, who is no longer in school and has completely open availability, who still gets around the same amount of hours as before (sometimes I get a 1 or 2 full shifts a week but it's not consistent). I am willing to work 30+ hours, I just don't get them.

It's the same at my store on flow team. I always get 4 hour shifts, never any more than 20 hours, mostly less. I've been here over a year and I've repeatedly expressed that I'd like more hours and am willing to be crosstrained in other areas. New team members got hired to flow a month ago, and all of them are getting full shifts and more than 30 hours a week. I don't get it, either.

Another possible reason:
Under Max, some HR's would set a maximum hours worked per day for cashiers at 4 hours to avoid gaps in coverage caused by lunches. These were keyed in for each cashier TM and would effect the shifts that populated every week. With MyTime, they made it a lot harder to change these settings, so it automatically defaults to 8 hour maximums, but those cashiers hired under max are still capped at 4 hours a day when MyTime populates the schedule.

We didn't do that under max, but it is now on a checklist of checks that hr is supposed to be doing for myTime. (The checklist is supposed to hang on the last page of the schedule for the STL to sign off of the audit). Thankfully for our cashiers they don't hire enough to make four hour shifts possible for about half of the shifts. And my store seems to be fair about spreading those out....for now.

It's the same at my store on flow team. I always get 4 hour shifts, never any more than 20 hours, mostly less. I've been here over a year and I've repeatedly expressed that I'd like more hours and am willing to be crosstrained in other areas. New team members got hired to flow a month ago, and all of them are getting full shifts and more than 30 hours a week. I don't get it, either.

ask to be cross trained, hardlines, consumables, flow.... at my store we need more and more of these people, you will get the hours. You can work maybe 4 hrs cashier and 4 hours hardlines or consumables (dry grocery). Just ask your LOD or ETL if there is any work that they need you to do and to be cross trained in another department. Don't just come in for your 4 hour shift do cashier and go home, there is more to Spot than cashiering.

It may be for training, my first week or two I got 6-8 hour shifts every day (my first week I actually worked 46 hours). Then it slowed down.

OT first week? The fuck? Can I come work at your store? Pretty please?

I know at my store they tend to give the new cashiers hours right before the holiday season just to make sure they're actually ready for the holidays. There's nothing worse than having a cashier with no experience on register during the holidays I can't stress that enough. Sometimes training isn't enough, especially with some of our off the book policies that take place at the registers that deal w/ guest interaction such as price changes and what not. I know at our store our ETL's and STL are stressing heavily on not to argue with guests or even question price difference on a lot of products. If the amount is not a substantial % of the items total price there's no reason to not just give them the price they want. Stuff like that will only be learned through trial and error as far as gauging what you can actual do for the guest.

Initiative and being flexible throughout the store will really increase your hours though, so another suggestion of mine would be to get cross trained. Even if it's through another cashier station at your store. I.E GS, FA. My big suggestion is to try to get some salesfloor training in, that's where your going to get a lot of side hours because it will allow you to pick up shifts off the board when people post them.
Hope this HELPS!
When I was hired last year, they only gave me four hour shifts and I was hired a month before Black Friday and all of the seasonal sales. I was just kind of thrown in there without like hours of training. It was my first black friday sale.

I've also been dying to get crossed trained but most of the time they tell me they have no hours or that they're not doing cross training right now, even though I've heard from everyone that they're getting crossed trained in multiple places. Places that I've asked to get trained at.

One of the other cashiers and I ended up talking to our GSTL and she basically told us that Max was just "building a relationship" with them per say and that they will later be put down to four hours. I highly doubt that since it's been almost two weeks now and they're still getting 8 hour shifts. But I'm taking the word of our GSTL at our store.

Thanks though for all the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back