Archived New Unload Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, I thought with the new model, transition items coming in before the actual transition date were supposed to be flexed out? Am I mistaken?
No you're not mistaken...but how are you to flex that shit out when theres 400 casepacks of the same POG and 400 more OTW next unload? Lol I can stoop down a level here and start complaining forsure because things are a mess right now 🙃👊🤣

But what about the pulls? Won't they be much heavier because the system is not taking account of what is being received that day.
Not sure if I’m answering your question but this is what the day is like now:

7 am the first Backroom TMs come in, begin pulling batches
8-9 am GM TMs come in, begin pushing those batches along with Backroom
9:30 AM any necessary line prep/Unload TMs come in
10 AM unload starts
usually 11:30/noonish unload is done
everything gets pushed til about 2
1 o clock pulls still happen along with 3s

Not sure if I’m answering your question but this is what the day is like now:

7 am the first Backroom TMs come in, begin pulling batches
8-9 am GM TMs come in, begin pushing those batches along with Backroom
9:30 AM any necessary line prep/Unload TMs come in
10 AM unload starts
usually 11:30/noonish unload is done
everything gets pushed til about 2
1 o clock pulls still happen along with 3s

I come in at 11, and by then the truck is done like you said. I don't know exactly when the unload starts or is finished though because the unload team is gone by 11:30-12. Possibly they come in at 6:30? I don't know. I can barely find anyone to talk to about this now because I'm only in the one day a week and I'm not buddies with everyone.

But due to the gutting of BR (we still have a BR team but not many), pulls are still being done. And given that people aren't being scheduled enough to do all the work, the pulls take up room we really don't have in the backroom. I leave strictly after 5 hours and there's always shit left over unless it's a tiny truck

If we change to a 10 a.m. unload, that's the end of me working at Target. It's never been enough hours so I have another job and that job is done in the afternoons.
As far as the logistics of how it would work, I agree with what everyone else is saying. Guests can be grumpy enough about u-boats being in the way already. Did we not learn our lesson when we went to a 7:30 unload pre-modernization? That lasted a few months and resulted in enough complaints that we went back to a 6 a.m. unload.

I come in at 11, and by then the truck is done like you said. I don't know exactly when the unload starts or is finished though because the unload team is gone by 11:30-12. Possibly they come in at 6:30? I don't know. I can barely find anyone to talk to about this now because I'm only in the one day a week and I'm not buddies with everyone.

But due to the gutting of BR (we still have a BR team but not many), pulls are still being done. And given that people aren't being scheduled enough to do all the work, the pulls take up room we really don't have in the backroom. I leave strictly after 5 hours and there's always shit left over unless it's a tiny truck

If you want to know when unload starts, look at the grid to see when the first inbounds TMs come in. If you don't have regular access to one, ask the GS desk for it.

If you want to know when unload starts, look at the grid to see when the first inbounds TMs come in. If you don't have regular access to one, ask the GS desk for it.

In my store we start at 6 but take the first 1.5-2 hours to push what's left over of the previous day. It's usually about 8 before the first box comes off the truck.

In my store we start at 6 but take the first 1.5-2 hours to push what's left over of the previous day. It's usually about 8 before the first box comes off the truck.

Yeah, that's not unusual for my store either. Unload is supposed to start around 6. That's when inbounds clocks in. On a good day the unload starts 5-10 minutes after that. But, those are rare anymore. There's normally some leftover stuff to push that has to be cleared first. At least that's my understanding from covering unloaders vacations and talking to inbounds TMs during the day.

We start at 6 also. However, our thrower comes in at 5:30 to prep the line. Our sorters then come in at 6. The rest of our team then starts at 6:30 and pushes anything left from the previous truck. If they finish before truck is empty, then they grab from the line

After reading busyzoningtoys post, we are in big trouble. If look at the org chart for his store, 55-60 Mil and compare it to mine, 25 Mil, there is no comparison to the level of staffing. You have more leadership and bodies along with the payroll.

There is no way we can process freight at the level at which they can, let alone all of the other task at hand. We just don't have the physical bodies.

Think of it this way, we each have a 5 gallon bucket to empty out. No I in Team has a pint funnel and busyzoning toys has a gallon funnel. Who is going to be able to empty out the 5 gallon bucket easier and faster? Ever tried pouring a 5 gallon bucket into a pint funnel? You make a mess.

An 1800 piece truck does not get done in our store the same day. We can handle a 1300 piece truck with a little to no carry over. But any thing more than that and we just can't come clean most times with our numbers. We have a decent group too.

Instead using the low volume stores as the base model, they most likely used the mode (frequent annual sales $) or the mean (average sales for the year/average sq ft store). Either one would skew results to favor larger annual sales when it comes to processing task within store. You simply have more people on hand.
There’s a dif .org chart for stores below 30 Mil
So for stationery, for example, as each product came in before the transition, the person pushing it would store tie it to wherever they pushed it? And then after untie all those products? That could potentially be hundreds of dpci's.
you can type in the aisle number and select “untie all dpcis”. It won’t untie pogs. Just store ties.

Last edited:
We start at 6 also. However, our thrower comes in at 5:30 to prep the line. Our sorters then come in at 6. The rest of our team then starts at 6:30 and pushes anything left from the previous truck. If they finish before truck is empty, then they grab from the line
This is mostly how we do it too. Although I don't think there's usually much from the previous truck for the 6:30 TMs to start with. The line often already has a bunch of boxes on it when I come in at 6, and we're filling up u-boats and flats fast enough that the 6:30 folks can start pushing new stuff when they come in.

Here's the problem, a 1800 piece truck is a 1800 piece truck. The stores are staffed according to sales/projected sales, not processing incoming freight. So when you ship 1800 piece truck to a low volume store, you exceed (overwhelm) the capacity of the store's ability to process freight. The higher the volume, the more freight can be processed daily along with frequency (# trucks/week).

What we call it carry over is exceeded capacity. To be more exact, it is any unprocessed freight after the PP2 Team schedule time is up. Not the additional time added, but the original schedule time of the PP2 Team (last process team).

My store is LV and can process somewhere around a 1300 +/- piece truck depending on mix with little or no issues. Anything additional or other demands and freight will carry over. We simply do not have enough bodies at this time to process the freight the same day. More Team Members are to be added later.

The down side to this is that you take a way hours (cannibalize hours) from current Team Members due to hours/payroll being finite. The process demand problems are not due to variability, but not being able to staff appropriately. Additional hours come after sales, not before to process the freight that supported sales increase. This lag seriously affects sales as product is not readily available.

Spot could have avoided this conundrum. If we would have collected valuable statistical data back in the years when we scanned the truck, we could have projected hours by the make up of the truck fairly accurately. That ship sailed long ago and we're stuck with Sales Projections/Volume as the determinant for staffing the incoming freight process. This is most likely why they are using floor hours to process freight now. This somewhat offsets the additional hours needed to operate within the new parameters.

So all of you guys that are getting little to no hours and/or experienced a severe reduction, now know why.

Spot better figure out something before 4th Qtr. Can you imagine what it would be like in the 4th qtr. trying to unload a 1800 piece in the afternoon because you just wrapped up yesterday's truck?

Last edited:
That is the correct way to do it.

Our inventory system is based on merchandise being located. Flexing and over pushing just throws throws everything out of wack. It also screws up the queue when the system cycles and re orders.
You are wrong , very wrong

My store gets 50-60 hours for 2200 pc trucks, your store gets 71.5 for an 1800 pc truck? Huh.

Well, hours are only getting worse. The next few weeks are going down, down, down. I wonder how BTS will be in terms of hours, and how stores will handle the increased workload in the affected areas (good practice for Q4, I guess). We haven't decided which areas go to which TMs/TLs yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to own either toys or sporting goods (or both).
Gm3 owns both

Hell to the no . Very mistaken. Trap it if it’s pre-tied , if not backstock so it can come out with the pog.

I think it can depend on the transition area. For the Stationery transition, the DBO flexed out all the new paper plates/napkins because that aisle emptied out pretty quickly after going clearance. Better to have the new items on the shelf until we could get it set than having an empty 20 ft aisle.

You are wrong , very wrong

Yes it is. Our system is predicated on everything having a place to land when it arrives/goes to the floor. This is why you have back room locations, floor locations, and the often misunderstood on hand number.

Our entire supply chain is set up with locations. From the point at which it is ordered until it is sold. All inventory movement is based upon fulfilling an end location within a process from a starting point/location.

Our Inventory Management System (IMS) at the store level generates replenishment based upon inventory being relieved from a predetermine location (sale) to a designate location (floor). So whether you sell clothing or cereal, the IMS generates a "pull" from a source location to an end location.

POG's are done the exact way once they are tied at the location to be set.

Without designated locations, our system would not replenish nor would it release from the DC. We would only receive designated time release projected sales merchandise quantities. In other words DC inventory dumps.

Yes it is. Our system is predicated on everything having a place to land when it arrives/goes to the floor. This is why you have back room locations, floor locations, and the often misunderstood on hand number.

Our entire supply chain is set up with locations. From the point at which it is ordered until it is sold. All inventory movement is based upon fulfilling an end location within a process from a starting point/location.

Our Inventory Management System (IMS) at the store level generates replenishment based upon inventory being relieved from a predetermine location (sale) to a designate location (floor). So whether you sell clothing or cereal, the IMS generates a "pull" from a source location to an end location.

POG's are done the exact way once they are tied at the location to be set.

Without designated locations, our system would not replenish nor would it release from the DC. We would only receive designated time release projected sales merchandise quantities. In other words DC inventory dumps.

What exactly is 'on hand'? I scan a location for a guest. It says there are zero on the floor, 0 in back but 4 on hand. Where are those four?

What exactly is 'on hand'? I scan a location for a guest. It says there are zero on the floor, 0 in back but 4 on hand. Where are those four?
From what I understand, those four could be ones that a customer threw on the shelf somewhere, could have been stolen, flexed to a different location, or even shipped to the wrong store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back