Archived Next Pay Increase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm less concerned about when the pay increases are going to come and more concerned that I'll still be making less money than the 17-year old, underperforming apparel TMs they will inevitably hire for seasonal again next year.

What makes paying your bills easier? $13/hr when that seventeen year old is making the same or $11/hr when the seventeen year old is only making $9/ hr?

Think with your wallet and not your emotions. Tenured team members should be earning more than seasonals, I agree, but don't scoff at a higher wage because of ego.

The sooner people learn to worry about their own shit instead of comparing what's "fair" or "not fair", the better off they'll be. It's a hard life lesson but it needs to be learned.

Ignorance is bliss, sure, but worrying about being paid less than what you're "worth" is worrying about your own shit. And "worth" is always relative. If you're not comparing your wage to that of your peers, what can you compare it to?

Compare your wage to your budget. Making $2/hr more than a new hire feels all warm and fuzzy but if it's not enough to pay your bills than it won't work.

You're "worth" whatever wage you agreed to work for. If you're worth more than you make now, go find that job that pays you more for your skills.

You are correct, you should be setting your budget based on your compensation not the other way around. If your budget is higher, one of the two things needs to change.

Also as a word of advice, don't ever ask for a raise because others are doing less work or have invested less time. When discussing a raise or promotion, center the conversation around what you bring to the company and why you deserve it. Mentioning someone else's salary or performance always sounds petty like you're trying to undervalue them instead of explaining on why you should get more.

.. which is laughable considering employees are rated relative to one another each year for the annual raises. You don't get DEO because you did objectively that. You get DEO because everyone else got DIO or ION. The proof is that each store is only allotted a certain amount of DEOs, so leadership has to compare employees to one another to come up with the ratings.
Which is a sucky system. I did honest assessments when I was an ETL, then discovered that ratings for each employee had already been decided above me, and I was supposed to make my assessment match that rating. That was probably the beginning of my downfall, as I loudly stated in our staff meeting what a crock that method of evaluations was.

I'm now a government employee - and we are rated as individuals against a standard set for your business line. I don't complete with my fellows. Much better system, even though it has flaws.

What makes paying your bills easier? $13/hr when that seventeen year old is making the same or $11/hr when the seventeen year old is only making $9/ hr?

Think with your wallet and not your emotions. Tenured team members should be earning more than seasonals, I agree, but don't scoff at a higher wage because of ego.

The sooner people learn to worry about their own shit instead of comparing what's "fair" or "not fair", the better off they'll be. It's a hard life lesson but it needs to be learned.
Hahahaha, ACTUALLY...I'd rather get 40 hours/week at $9 than the whole 11 hours I have next week at $12.50. Then I'd even have *gasp* benefits.

.. which is laughable considering employees are rated relative to one another each year for the annual raises. You don't get DEO because you did objectively that. You get DEO because everyone else got DIO or ION. The proof is that each store is only allotted a certain amount of DEOs, so leadership has to compare employees to one another to come up with the ratings.
Which is a sucky system. I did honest assessments when I was an ETL, then discovered that ratings for each employee had already been decided above me, and I was supposed to make my assessment match that rating.
It's all laughable to me because my last 2 reviews were ION. I'm not expecting a DEO honestly, but I work my ass off, I at least deserve a DIO, I do my job well, but my STL is Satan.

No problem. Glad that I could help you with your question. I agree with your initial post that it would make sense to increase the starting pay to above minimum wage to stay competitive with other businesses. Let's hope that your ETL-HR can make that happen for your store.

From the HR side, I will share that low starting pay has made staffing difficult. During job offers, I had many applicants tell me that the starting pay is too low. They go home to "think about it" and then end up accepting another job that pays them more (maybe McDonald's?).

Target's pay system is not good. The yearly review raises are too small and the starting pay is too low. They also don't do starting pay increases in a way that won't wipe out raises. They seriously need to do better.
And here we are being told we better be working harder if we are being paid more.

Are you kidding me? High-performers absolutely should be scoffing at wages when they are being paid less than underperforming TMs (assuming they have somewhat equal roles). How do you think Equal Pay and Compensation Discrimination got to where it is today? You can't give Nancy a $1000 raise and Joe a $2000 raise, when Nancy is the higher performer, and expect the line "well you should be thankful you got a raise at all" to shut her down.

Now, my original point of course was not about sex or age, but about pay grades and seniority:

(1) The new paygrade system is ridiculous for those N30 TMs that used to be PG5 and above (GSAs, HR TMs, Receivers, etc.)
Yes, many (not all) of those TMs are getting raises as the company minimum goes up. But most of those positions require additional knowledge or are charged with additional responsibilities that other N30 (and some N35) just don't have to deal
with, even with these Modernization changes. For instance, Supervisory numbers, access to confidential HR information, defective processing/MIRs, Cash Office duties, etc.
And it is going to take TMs speaking up, not accepting the new status quo, and yes, "scoffing" for that to change.

(2) TMs need some incentive to stick around
I know you agree on this one, so here's hoping someone with enough pull up at HQ sees this.
Modernization is, supposedly, all about "owning an area" as opposed to a process. Well, most TMs are going to take more pride in those areas if they know there is incentive to stick around for awhile.
But 15 hours per week and no wage increase for years of service isn't going to do it.
I'm not saying that all veteran TMs are great performers--some of the new hires can run circles around them. But, someday, those new hires will become the veterans, if they have the incentive to stay with Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back