Archived Next Pay Increase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea on when we should expect the next pay increase? I'm presently at $12.75 and our store starting pay is $12. Our states minimum wage for fast food workers is set to increase to $12.75 on Jan 1 so I would assume some sort of increase to stay above that?

Any idea on when we should expect the next pay increase? I'm presently at $12.75 and our store starting pay is $12. Our states minimum wage for fast food workers is set to increase to $12.75 on Jan 1 so I would assume some sort of increase to stay above that?

Probably won't see it again until May so they can factor in your raise with the new pay increase.

It will likely depend on earnings and how we did this holiday. If we did good it could be March. If we did bad they might delay until Fall.

Your store will definitely increase starting pay to at least $12.75 to comply with the state minimum wage laws. As for increasing starting pay to stay above $12.75 for competitive pay reasons, that would be up to your ETL-HR. One of my previous ETL-HRs always made sure that our store got the same or higher starting pay than other stores. Then, the ETL-HRs who replaced this ETL were more hesitant to ask for increases so the starting pay is not as great now. If your ETL-HR doesn't request for an increase, then you will only see increases during company-wide raises, yearly reviews, minimum wage changes, and job promotions.

Last edited:
Your store will definitely increase starting pay to at least $12.75 to comply with the state minimum wage laws. As for increasing starting pay to stay above $12.75 for competitive pay reasons, that would be up to your ETL-HR. One of my previous ETL-HRs always made sure that our store got the same or higher starting pay than other stores. Then, the ETL-HRs who replaced this ETL were more hesitant to ask for increases so the starting pay is not as great now. If your ETL-HR doesn't request for an increase, then you will only see increases during company-wide raises, yearly reviews, minimum wage changes, and job promotions.

Thanks for your feedback. There is a McDonald's right next door who put up 'now hiring $12.75/hour' signs today. This is the same I'm making at Target presently with 10 years of experience off and on over the past 15 years. Granted each time I quit and came back my pay started over but still I could easily go to McDonald's and make the same off the street as I am now for being with Target for 2 straight years now.

Earlier would be better! However, they've got 2 years to pony up on the remaining 3 bucks.
They might go buck-fiddy each of the next two April reviews rather than shoehorn an off-cycle increase.

But yeah, like Unknown, I'm becoming increasingly doubtful we'll actually be at $15 by the end of 2020. And in fact, when I've looked for articles semi-recently, they said something like "we're working towards", rather than an actual promise.

They might go buck-fiddy each of the next two April reviews rather than shoehorn an off-cycle increase.

But yeah, like Unknown, I'm becoming increasingly doubtful we'll actually be at $15 by the end of 2020. And in fact, when I've looked for articles semi-recently, they said something like "we're working towards", rather than an actual promise.

I can't wait to see how corporate wriggles out of it.

I don't think they'll get out of it. They've done a lot of promo for it so they'd be hearing it from ™s as well as shareholders if they walk back

I don't think they'll get out of it. They've done a lot of promo for it so they'd be hearing it from ™s as well as shareholders if they walk back

You may be right. Time will tell. It's just hard to see that if payroll is awful now, how will it look when then?

Thanks for your feedback. There is a McDonald's right next door who put up 'now hiring $12.75/hour' signs today. This is the same I'm making at Target presently with 10 years of experience off and on over the past 15 years. Granted each time I quit and came back my pay started over but still I could easily go to McDonald's and make the same off the street as I am now for being with Target for 2 straight years now.

No problem. Glad that I could help you with your question. I agree with your initial post that it would make sense to increase the starting pay to above minimum wage to stay competitive with other businesses. Let's hope that your ETL-HR can make that happen for your store.

From the HR side, I will share that low starting pay has made staffing difficult. During job offers, I had many applicants tell me that the starting pay is too low. They go home to "think about it" and then end up accepting another job that pays them more (maybe McDonald's?).

Target's pay system is not good. The yearly review raises are too small and the starting pay is too low. They also don't do starting pay increases in a way that won't wipe out raises. They seriously need to do better.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Well, if you Google about wage increases, you'll see a lot of places have announced a jump to $15/hr by 2020 or 2021. Primarily they are medical facilities and warehouses. So if the folks that wash the dishes or laundry in a hospital are making $15, then Target will have a difficult time back pedaling on its headline grabbing announcement.

And if more employers follow suit, Target will need to keep to its promise just to be market competitive. The labor market is tight at this time. Barring a major downturn in the economy or Spot turns in poor numbers for this quarter, we're going to continue to see good progress in getting to $15.

Keep in mind the original press releases said $15.00 by the end of 2020, not by 2020. They could do $1.50 in 2019 and another $1.50 in 2020 and still be on track for “by the end of 2020.”

Also reference this paragraph from an article in the bullseye view from March 2018. “Last fall, Target announced another major investment in our team—an increase in pay. We moved to an $11 minimum hourly wage in October, and committed to pay our team members at least $15 an hour by the end of 2020. Now, we’re taking the next step by moving to a $12 minimum wage this year, starting with our existing team members.”

Last edited:
Keep in mind the original press releases said $15.00 by the end of 2020, not by 2020. They could do $1.50 in 2019 and another $1.50 in 2020 and still be on track for “by the end of 2020.”

Also reference this paragraph from an article in the bullseye view from March 2018. “Last fall, Target announced another major investment in our team—an increase in pay. We moved to an $11 minimum hourly wage in October, and committed to pay our team members at least $15 an hour by the end of 2020. Now, we’re taking the next step by moving to a $12 minimum wage this year, starting with our existing team members.”

Right, I understand that. By 12/31/2020. I still don't believe it. To pay for that, they'll have to cut hours even more.

Right, I understand that. By 12/31/2020. I still don't believe it. To pay for that, they'll have to cut hours even more.

Or give them all to Drive Up & OPU. Those are the areas Spot needs to grow right now in a feeble attempt to keep Amazon at bay. And it's less expensive to pay a TM $12/hr to be our guests' personal shoppers than absorb the cost of "free" shipping.

Minimum wage rising in 20 states and numerous cities - https://finance.yahoo.com/news/minimum-wage-rising-20-states-154604768.html

Millions of U.S. workers to see higher pay from state minimum-wage hikes in 2019 - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/millions-u-s-workers-see-higher-pay-minimum-wage-hikes-n953046

The thing is that in some states $12/hour is a huge jump. In other states, not so much. It's less than a dollar more than minimum wage in my state. So of course finding good employees in those states is going to be harder because most jobs are going to be paying $12 or more. So honestly, in my state, they need to be getting to the $15/hr a lot quicker than say, a state who is closer to the federal minimum wage range like a New Mexico or Nevada or Florida.

For what it's worth Disney World has committed to paying it's union members a minimum of $15 an hour by the end of 2020 also. I'm guessing that Walmart will have to also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back