No Hours = Incomplete Tasks

Front end DBO here! The one & only at my store. Expected to set, revise, fill, push & upkeep onespot, guest service, checklanes and all batteries & gift cards for the store. Anyone else with me here? My rant: Why am I still held accountable for completing these tasks when I'm only scheduled 20 to 25 hours per week? I don't have a TL assisting me as he is busy with other areas of the store. I'm so far behind in my work that when the hours do become available it might take me a full month, possibly longer, to catch up. Thanks for listening!! 🙉✌

Are they fussing at you about those things not being completed? As long as they aren't, there's no problem. When they do, calmly explain you have 40 hours worth of work, but only 20 hours scheduled, and they should have realistic goals.

Similar situation a few years ago at the old store. One guy was so frustrated due to lack of support he had another new job lined up, done deal. Flipped a PDA into the baler and pushed the button then walked out. He was a good employee, some of the young ETLs didn't line him because he had a brain. All those little wires, transistors and semi conductors all over the inside of the baler, cool.

Similar situation a few years ago at the old store. One guy was so frustrated due to lack of support he had another new job lined up, done deal. Flipped a PDA into the baler and pushed the button then walked out. He was a good employee, some of the young ETLs didn't line him because he had a brain. All those little wires, transistors and semi conductors all over the inside of the baler, cool.
ETLs don’t usually like you if you have a brain.

There was a guy at my DC, decided to pull a prank before he left. He drove and parked a RC forklift in the trailer, and built his walls of boxes around it. No one caught it and they shipped the trailer to the store.
Now owes $10,000 to pay for the fines Target had to pay for illegally shipping such a large lithium ion battery.
It did make for a cool story though.

If your leaders really do expect you to complete all of your tasks in half the hours, your store sucks and you should totally find a new job.

My store has reasonable expectations of what people can complete on short hours and sort of rotates through tasks so nothing gets too bad. Not much else you can do this time of year.

If your leaders really do expect you to complete all of your tasks in half the hours, your store sucks and you should totally find a new job.

My store has reasonable expectations of what people can complete on short hours and sort of rotates through tasks so nothing gets too bad. Not much else you can do this time of year.

I'm trying, trust me.

They want us to help guests, so I greet (I'd estimate) 80% of the guests I see. Not all of them, but plenty, need to be guided to what they want. That's time off doing a U-boat. Then add in the garbage (worse if you're in home, you guys who have been in the lamp/mirror areas know what I'm talking about!) and cardboard, and the disposal of it. Even more fun if some bozo has loaded the baler improperly and cardboard slides right out.

Backstocking, because you're ALWAYS going to have some. In one 4 1/2 hour shift you just can't get into a good flow and get much done.

I'm not the fastest person, either.

My job search has ramped up, to say the least.

Last edited:
I got to listen to my STL's shock and horror that turned to anger when she cut everyone to 4-6hr shifts that no area of the truck push got finished. She was on the radio all morning to bitch at people to get the fuck out of the store the split second their shift ended. Then was surprised that nothing got done.. She couldn't understand why nothing got finished. She couldn't understand it, like she could not find a reason that it wasn't done..

Topping it off by having a 3hr gap in OPU/SFS coverage only made worse by the two hour gap of no at guest service with a whopping cashier coverage of two people.. So they had one cashier and one for the self check out.. And there is NO WAY IN HELL. the guests in my hood will stand for only self check out being open at 4pm on a Friday..

And this is why my store's front end takes care of their own stuff again. We don't get hours either but we siphon off cashiers when it is slower to work on uboats and 3-tiers of front end merch.

I just tell my leaders straight up how long I believe it will take and if they say I can get it done faster I do it as fast as possible and show them im working hard and after a few times they go...oh I was wrong--well fuck. Luckily I've earned their respect over the last few years and they now believe me but this new process of the truck in the last year or two has been a burden on everyone. Every single team member is expected to do all the tasks in their department and still be schedules shit hours. Let's be real and acknowledge that you cannot be a DBO with 25 hours a week. I could say more but I won't because I shouldn't speak out of anger and I am damn angry right now.

This seems to be what happens at my store too. One day it's pushing that is the #1 priority. The next day, it's not pushing, it's pricing, so the push isn't done. The next day it's sales floor capacities. Nothing is ever done 100%.

Does Front End DBO imply that you're a Salesfloor TM responsible for the front end, or a Advocate who is expected to do those things in addition to all the other things advocates normally do?

Just curious, since here the front end tasks are still all done by the front-end. Myself and one other former GSA, and the SETL's are typically who reset the endcaps, and we have advocates push and zone one spot daily in the mornings and evenings when it is slow, but no one from the salesfloor typically touches the front end.

Does Front End DBO imply that you're a Salesfloor TM responsible for the front end, or a Advocate who is expected to do those things in addition to all the other things advocates normally do?

Just curious, since here the front end tasks are still all done by the front-end. Myself and one other former GSA, and the SETL's are typically who reset the endcaps, and we have advocates push and zone one spot daily in the mornings and evenings when it is slow, but no one from the salesfloor typically touches the front end.

Yeah thats odd Ive never heard of a front end DBO at my store and we are fairly mid sized/sales for a regular Target with a pfresh n such. If they have someone scheduled for front end DBO it should be for see spot save and checklanes candy and such and even then that is usually a light load unless it's a huge seasonal push from the truck in which case you dont get to be a DBO you get help from others and barely get to push let alone do an EXF or zone. This company is becoming hilariously bad but I want to hang on a while longer to see if it swings back into the good direction. Anyone else feel that?

Salesfloor TM. Front end leads & cashiers aren't allowed to assist with any front end tasks other then servicing guests & fulfilling the supplies that they need in order to do so. Except the gift cards used for promos. I stock the registers with those.

And this is why my store's front end takes care of their own stuff again. We don't get hours either but we siphon off cashiers when it is slower to work on uboats and 3-tiers of front end merch.
Ha! I wish!! Our cashiers aren't even permitted to "zone" candy, etc... Lol!

I'm in grocery I've only been scheduled 12-5 the past few weeks and the next 2. I'm the freezer guy the only one in my department who will work in there . My manuals are over 100 task everyday plus I get 2-3 pallets on days we have a truck , if I even leave a little bit my manager flips out and ask why I left it , I told him it's hard when I'm only scheduled 5 hrs a day but he says he just going by what target tells him and I apparently have enough time. That's not even counting my sales planners , revisions and price changes . Its impossible to do all of that I feel like he is trying to performance me out .

Yeah thats odd Ive never heard of a front end DBO at my store and we are fairly mid sized/sales for a regular Target with a pfresh n such. If they have someone scheduled for front end DBO it should be for see spot save and checklanes candy and such and even then that is usually a light load unless it's a huge seasonal push from the truck in which case you dont get to be a DBO you get help from others and barely get to push let alone do an EXF or zone. This company is becoming hilariously bad but I want to hang on a while longer to see if it swings back into the good direction. Anyone else feel that?
I’m hanging in there cause change is slow and change is hard. I’m hoping that once we adopt all the changes things will get better. We’re stuck in the “teething” stage, painful until the teeth are fully out.

Back