Archived No Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
The schedules being written this week at my store have been completely gutted. I'm fully expecting a large number of people to either put in their two weeks or disappear very soon.

It's pretty dumb. One of our district's big goals this year is retention. How do you intend to keep people on your payroll if you're paying them literally next to nothing? I know of ~10 people seriously considering leaving. A lot of these are very strong team members.. many have been with Target for 20+ years. A couple of them are trainers and people in key positions. It's going to be a very rough month...

The schedules being written this week at my store have been completely gutted. I'm fully expecting a large number of people to either put in their two weeks or disappear very soon.

It's pretty dumb. One of our district's big goals this year is retention. How do you intend to keep people on your payroll if you're paying them literally next to nothing? I know of ~10 people seriously considering leaving. A lot of these are very strong team members.. many have been with Target for 20+ years. A couple of them are trainers and people in key positions. It's going to be a very rough month...

Same at our store. We were wondering how they thought they were going to not have a big turn over with all these hour cuts and things.

The other night we had the LOD say to me and the only other sales floor TM.. So yeah y'all need to get through a, b, c and d zone in the next hour. I was thinking like you are hilarious try maybe MAYBE 10 aisles in A in an hour considering we haven't zoned in a month but hey dream big I guess. We had literally 47 carts of reshop in the break room too.

So where do TMs take their break if there are 47 carts of reshop in the breakdown?

When they announced retention as a focus for ae16 i just laughed and laughed. Haven't stopped yet...we're down two tls, a couple pas and a handful of tms so far this year. And we're only two months in.

I'd love to know the details about the retention focus vs accountability. We have TMs that call out often and do not do much when they do show up. I see TMs texting and standing around talking all the time. The good workers are working themselves to death. How is cutting hours while allowing slacking a good business plan?

I'd love to know the details about the retention focus vs accountability. We have TMs that call out often and do not do much when they do show up. I see TMs texting and standing around talking all the time. The good workers are working themselves to death. How is cutting hours while allowing slacking a good business plan?
omg this x a million!

When they announced retention as a focus for ae16 i just laughed and laughed. Haven't stopped yet...we're down two tls, a couple pas and a handful of tms so far this year. And we're only two months in.
Retention is a joke at my current store. Since transferring in 1 1/2 years ago we have gone through 3 flow team leads 4 backroom team leads 2 sales floor team leads 1 Starbucks and 1 gstl in addition to 3 logistics ETLs , a STL , HR ETL , AP ETL and Salesfloor/GE ETL. The team member turnover has been even worse.

I can understand turnover costing the company money when it's managers that are leaving. They actually spend money training managers. At my store they provide very little training to TMs. Giving their good workers better hours would help retain them. The frustration of dealing with unrealistic expectations/no hours is probably why they are losing so many managers.

Last edited:
The practice applies to every service industry job, not just Target.
Used to be a page out of Walmart's playbook but everybody does it these days.
Added bonus: by keeping hours low, nobody qualifies for benefits.
Target used to have a medical discount plan for part-timers; they discontinued it because 'it wasn't being utilized much' JUST before much of their workforce was being cut down to part-time as the ACA was being rolled out.
I worked in another area. Proved myself. Got upgraded to enough hours to get benefits. Was on the schedule for that dept. Got congrats and best wishes from tl. Added my husband to insurance. A few days later I was told I was "busted back to private". Not enough hours for benefits, no explanation from management. I was told to stop asking questions or else. Spot certainly impressed me.

. The good workers are working themselves to death. How is cutting hours while allowing slacking a good business plan?

The theory is that there is 100000000 more units to take YOUR SPOT. Simple.

The good workers worked to death, and eventually quit.. and these are going to be predominantly OLDER (tenure wise) and thus make HIGHER $$$, and possibly have benefits... getting them to quit is a good thing! Plus think about all the $$$ they will pocket if you walk out and have vac accumulated that is still eligible to be paid out... YOU LOOSE IT and TGT will just POCKET it and buy a jet or something...

The slackers who cares, they are cheap, no benefits, if they really do a bad job, term'em, and hire another.. rinse repeat. $9 v. $10+ or more for some.. easy math...

So where do TMs take their break if there are 47 carts of reshop in the breakdown?

In the break room we have an off to the side room where they do orientation off of the break room that's where the carts are. Our break room is huge so even with all those carts there's still alot of room.

The theory is that there is 100000000 more units to take YOUR SPOT. Simple.

The good workers worked to death, and eventually quit.. and these are going to be predominantly OLDER (tenure wise) and thus make HIGHER $$$, and possibly have benefits... getting them to quit is a good thing! Plus think about all the $$$ they will pocket if you walk out and have vac accumulated that is still eligible to be paid out... YOU LOOSE IT and TGT will just POCKET it and buy a jet or something...

The slackers who cares, they are cheap, no benefits, if they really do a bad job, term'em, and hire another.. rinse repeat. $9 v. $10+ or more for some.. easy math...

You're on some weird power trip and aren't impressing anyone. :rolleyes:

Agreed (for once).
Target still thinks it saves money to sacrifice tenured/experienced workers for cheaper labor despite the extra costs in turnover & training.
Bonuses of having experienced workers means satisfied guests which, in turn, leads to higher survey scores.
During my time with spot, I had quite a few regulars who sought me out when they had a problem that couldn't be resolved. If I couldn't fix it, I could at least explain why & how to do an end-run if necessary.
Newbies don't care & it shows.

Your theory doesn't give any consideration to the costs associated with recruitment or training, or recognize the learning curve of a new employee. Hire newbies too many times and it actually is less expensive to keep current employees.

We have some TMs who talk a lot and I don't blame them anymore. Even if everyone were working their absolute hardest we wouldn't be finishing everything because there aren't enough hours or people. You come in for a 4 hour shift and there's no one else on the floor in softlines, when your shift is over, it's not gonna look like anyone worked. You're gonna get so little done between the actual reshop, the cafs and the backup. I think everyone I work with is super jaded at this point.

One of the perks of being an expendable unit is not getting dragged in on my days off, not enduring the ass chews when things don't get done and watching those nice younger folks in management deal with stuff I was handling in the 70's. I feel sorry for them because there are so few incentives to keep reliable people. i come in, do a good job and leave. It will be interesting to see if this idea of valuing tenured tms is sincere.

Nearly everyone on the front lanes is at or under 20 hours on the new schedule. Sales floor just as bad. :( I thought it was because we just got a new ETL and when another ETL was doing my schedule I was at or above 28 hours each week. Now I'm down to 17.5. And did I mention we're hiring?

I know it's just the way he's going about saying it all lol

I don't seek the approval of others, do "PC", or other nonsense. I live life, speak, post, etc. bluntly, and thats the way it is.

The truth and the real world, are a cold hard harsh place, welcome to it.

You want kumbaya, roses, unicorns, and rainbows, you are looking in the wrong spot.

Your theory doesn't give any consideration to the costs associated with recruitment or training, or recognize the learning curve of a new employee. Hire newbies too many times and it actually is less expensive to keep current employees.

I am well aware of it... most places, including TGT, do not care. It is still cheaper to keep running through fresh meat to fill in the wholes for awhile. It doesn't matter retail, burger place, or a lot of other places requiring specialized training and certs... I've seen it been there done it... The mentality of those higher up has always been, if employee x doesn't like it, there is 100000 more lined up ready to take their spot, and well, there is!

We will go through SL girls like water.. namely because of two things... LACK of hours, and two persons who are "over" SL the VML and one TM who are just absolutely horrible to work for and with over there.

Cashiers same, thing, lack of hours... is the biggest...but again.... its a thankless job, that with low pay, and hounding over RC BS... eventually they will just find something else...

Older more tenured employees who know to suck down enough shifts some how still cost more v. fresh meat....

They may be making $12-13/hr, then add benefits etc... and you are at $15-17/hr. v. $9/hr pay, and say $12/hr actual cost. That actual cost of $12 v. 17 is still a net savings... Plus then those who've been around that cost is going up.. VAC, PH, Sick days for those who qualify are all net financial costs that are a negative, which is why the push to eliminate you walking away with a huge check at the end if you quit or retire... If you have that banked up, they will just eat the cash now... that all chips away at $7B..

I am thankful that I have a very tenured team, who know what to do, can work a multitude of areas for my team, and the store. The handful of newbs we had during the Q4 season, and got to keep, are actually not bad... They are not the rock stars that others are, but some are moving along, and might be closer to that level by the time Q4 rolls around this year...

Keeping TM's makes life easier all the way around, BUT most companies including TGT don't see it that way.

I don't seek the approval of others, do "PC", or other nonsense. I live life, speak, post, etc. bluntly, and thats the way it is.

The truth and the real world, are a cold hard harsh place, welcome to it.

You want kumbaya, roses, unicorns, and rainbows, you are looking in the wrong spot.

I am well aware of it... most places, including TGT, do not care. It is still cheaper to keep running through fresh meat to fill in the wholes for awhile. It doesn't matter retail, burger place, or a lot of other places requiring specialized training and certs... I've seen it been there done it... The mentality of those higher up has always been, if employee x doesn't like it, there is 100000 more lined up ready to take their spot, and well, there is!

We will go through SL girls like water.. namely because of two things... LACK of hours, and two persons who are "over" SL the VML and one TM who are just absolutely horrible to work for and with over there.

Cashiers same, thing, lack of hours... is the biggest...but again.... its a thankless job, that with low pay, and hounding over RC BS... eventually they will just find something else...

Older more tenured employees who know to suck down enough shifts some how still cost more v. fresh meat....

They may be making $12-13/hr, then add benefits etc... and you are at $15-17/hr. v. $9/hr pay, and say $12/hr actual cost. That actual cost of $12 v. 17 is still a net savings... Plus then those who've been around that cost is going up.. VAC, PH, Sick days for those who qualify are all net financial costs that are a negative, which is why the push to eliminate you walking away with a huge check at the end if you quit or retire... If you have that banked up, they will just eat the cash now... that all chips away at $7B..

I am thankful that I have a very tenured team, who know what to do, can work a multitude of areas for my team, and the store. The handful of newbs we had during the Q4 season, and got to keep, are actually not bad... They are not the rock stars that others are, but some are moving along, and might be closer to that level by the time Q4 rolls around this year...

Keeping TM's makes life easier all the way around, BUT most companies including TGT don't see it that way.

Not at all. You just come off like you're trying to prove more to yourself than to us is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back