Archived No Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were 150 employes for a small store! Craizy!
It's called having an adequate pool of TMs.
If a store (or even workstation) had just enough TMs to guarantee everyone plenty of hours, what do you do when someone wants to take a vacation? Has a medical/family emergency? Takes time off for school? Several people call out sick?
You're then stressing your team by having them work additional hours (provided they come in when called) & run the risk of little or no coverage.
Given the lousy pay most service industry folk get, they're less inclined to go above & beyond for a company that doesn't value them to start with; many are undependable to start with.
To counter that, businesses HAVE to maintain a large enough pool of employees to guarantee coverage.
New folk are usually given more hours until they're 'broken in' & can handle a heavy workload like Q4.
Often employers use new hires as a way to weed out deadwood & under-performing TMs; if the new guy works great under pressure vs the lifer who complains & seldom gets the job done why wouldn't the boss schedule the new guy more?
It's crap, yes but it's nothing personal: it's business.

I understad that Redeye.
In my store we have exellent experienced workers that deserve more that that. We can do more in 4 hrs. Than other in 8 hrs shift. Oustanding performers, we rather no to see or know the New ones's schedule cause we can get desapointed.

It's called having an adequate pool of TMs.
If a store (or even workstation) had just enough TMs to guarantee everyone plenty of hours, what do you do when someone wants to take a vacation? Has a medical/family emergency? Takes time off for school? Several people call out sick?
You're then stressing your team by having them work additional hours (provided they come in when called) & run the risk of little or no coverage.
Given the lousy pay most service industry folk get, they're less inclined to go above & beyond for a company that doesn't value them to start with; many are undependable to start with.
To counter that, businesses HAVE to maintain a large enough pool of employees to guarantee coverage.
New folk are usually given more hours until they're 'broken in' & can handle a heavy workload like Q4.
Often employers use new hires as a way to weed out deadwood & under-performing TMs; if the new guy works great under pressure vs the lifer who complains & seldom gets the job done why wouldn't the boss schedule the new guy more?
It's crap, yes but it's nothing personal: it's business.
The store i was talking about is not a target store that one is like 1/3 large than a target store .150 employes ! LOL .

You need to have open ability in both ! Plus the gas for the comute! Plus the time to the comute! Plus the energy! And no time for you or your family! How can you educate your kids? So sad my friend...

quote-don-t-waste-any-time-mourning-organize-joe-hill-306772.jpg

clock.jpg

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Positive but realistic , and at the same time figthing and expecting more with God's aid.commiecorvus.
Man fix something (health coverage) and unfix others (jobs).

I had 4 shifts canned so I had 9 hrs a few weeks ago, then had 12 hrs, then 18. They called me everyday the last few weeks to come in so I got up to 28 to 34 hours. This new schedule they gave me 35. Maybe because we are getting back to normal or because I go in all the time when they need help? Either way I'll take it. Bill paying was rough with those crappy weeks. They're training me in a couple new areas too.

We are hiring too but it is only to fill the people who quit. It seems like everyday someone is quitting.....

It feels like the constant hiring is causing some of the quitting. They keep hiring because people are quitting and they want to fill that spot or perhaps in anticipation of turnover, but it makes more sense (at least to me) if they took the hours from the person they would be hiring and gave it to a current worker.

For example, there was a girl who recently quit -- a great team player, never called in sick, tried hard during her shifts -- she had completely open availability, but she was only getting four hours a week for over a month. Finally she got a different job and quit. Although she told me she would prefer Target, but she needed the money. They we're hiring people during that month period which really frustrated her as well, especially when they would get more hours than her. Now some of these new hires have already been a NCNS and we lost a good worker.

That was happening at my store too or they were giving hours to people that never showed up and those of us that always do got 10 or less hours a week. It does make everyone feel defeated.

Most stores are adding hours in anticipation of increased sales for Easter. Waiting to see what the hours will be for the next posted schedule, the one that is the week after Easter.

I have a few more hours next week over this week. I sure hope that's a good sign.

Most stores are adding hours in anticipation of increased sales for Easter. Waiting to see what the hours will be for the next posted schedule, the one that is the week after Easter.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Good to see Spot recognize Easter is earlier this year and beefing up the schedule.

Last year my store was grossly understaffed for BTS and Labor Day weekend, specifically, since it fell a week later.

This past weekend was so bad. We were all on the lanes. There was no one on the floor. No one for call buttons, carry outs or phone calls. Zoneing on SLs is just trying to pick everything up off the floor. I'm tired of apologizing to the guests about the mess. At the end if the night I feel defeated.

This past weekend was so bad. We were all on the lanes. There was no one on the floor. No one for call buttons, carry outs or phone calls. Zoneing on SLs is just trying to pick everything up off the floor. I'm tired of apologizing to the guests about the mess. At the end if the night I feel defeated.

Same here it was crazy. I think I spent most of my shift at the lanes or being the only person on sales floor. I was so beat.

Sounds like nothing has changed since I quit! And it's only getting worse. Brian and the shareholders need some new yachts so that means you expendables (because that's how they view you) will just have to put up or shut up! Don't forget, the 8 hours a week you are working you are expected to get at least 10 REDcards, zone 10 aisles all by yourself and be Fast, Fun & Friendly for every guest. Go above and beyond for your $9/hr with 16 or maybe if you're lucky 20 whole hours on the two-week paycheck. You should be grateful that you have a job! The great Lord Brian Cornell has so graciously and kindly extended to you this ah-mazing opportunity with "the best company ever™" and remember, there's plenty more out there who can replace you at a moment's notice!!

Last edited:

No need to apologize, not your fault how the store looks. If you were texting all day or chatting with fellow TMs, that's one thing. However, if you aren't being given the tools to do your job, either equipment or adequate hours, how can you be vested in how the store looks or be concerned about what the guests think about that?

The store i was talking about is not a target store that one is like 1/3 large than a target store .150 employes ! LOL .
The practice applies to every service industry job, not just Target.
Used to be a page out of Walmart's playbook but everybody does it these days.
Added bonus: by keeping hours low, nobody qualifies for benefits.
Target used to have a medical discount plan for part-timers; they discontinued it because 'it wasn't being utilized much' JUST before much of their workforce was being cut down to part-time as the ACA was being rolled out.

The other night we had the LOD say to me and the only other sales floor TM.. So yeah y'all need to get through a, b, c and d zone in the next hour. I was thinking like you are hilarious try maybe MAYBE 10 aisles in A in an hour considering we haven't zoned in a month but hey dream big I guess. We had literally 47 carts of reshop in the break room too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back