No More Case Stock

Are any of the stores going ladderless and/or told no more case stock enhance SFS stores? Given that we're not just stocking our store but stocking for hundreds of online orders I don't know if my store could ever convert to ladderless or no case stock.

I wouldn't mind, personally, I hate having to haul bulky, heavy things up and down ladders or spend time dealing with the Wave or whatever, but I don't see how it could be possible at a store that's already pretty high volume, plus enhanced SFS, to boot.
High volume Super and what to do with all the upstairs space. Too pricey to be unused. SFS turf I guess.

My store started on this project today. Never have I had so many conversations about "the idiots at corporate" as I had today. There was not a single drop of Kool Aide to be found in the building.

I like the idea of it, but it’s not going to work if the warehouse insists I need an extra ten cases of everything on the Annie’s salesplanner.

I like the idea. But I take issue with taking mirrors out of the box. What about street dated products like the action figures that come out tomorrow? I think some things should stay in the box. Why bother taking single boxed items out? 1 lamp in a box. It’s safer in the box than out.

I like the idea. But I take issue with taking mirrors out of the box. What about street dated products like the action figures that come out tomorrow? I think some things should stay in the box. Why bother taking single boxed items out? 1 lamp in a box. It’s safer in the box than out.

That's why I can't picture this going well in Home - so many easy to break items are safer if stored in the original packaging...

I have also sold toys in the original case to make it easier for the guest to Gift Wrap the item.

That's why I can't picture this going well in Home - so many easy to break items are safer if stored in the original packaging...

I have also sold toys in the original case to make it easier for the guest to Gift Wrap the item.

Sometimes, there is no common sense with company directives. Of course, there are always people willing to defend the directives no matter what. I really can't imagine unboxing 15 pallets of toys, especially when our naive ETL took out several layers of shelves in October. But hey, who are we? Oh right, just the people who have to deal with dumb decisions everyday.

SD came to me recently and said we're next in line for caseless. But, they didn't have any formal details or what it entails to convert. I'll be overseeing the process with another TM. I own GM2 (Essentials), what is the process to convert? What should I be mindful of (I saw something about swadding/rev log often for excess cases... looking at you TIDE)? How will this impact bulk steel? What areas should we focus on first? I'm going into this blind, but have profiled most of my aisles as open stock already... do I need to have wacos on every shelf?

SD came to me recently and said we're next in line for caseless. But, they didn't have any formal details or what it entails to convert. I'll be overseeing the process with another TM. I own GM2 (Essentials), what is the process to convert? What should I be mindful of (I saw something about swadding/rev log often for excess cases... looking at you TIDE)? How will this impact bulk steel? What areas should we focus on first? I'm going into this blind, but have profiled most of my aisles as open stock already... do I need to have wacos on every shelf?
Sadly yes. No higher than 6 feet.

Yeah. Order wacos. Lots and lots of wacos. More than you can possibly think you'll need. (Because you'll need them and getting them in is slow as hell.) Also order backroom shelf labels. You'll need lots of those. The actual process of going caseless isn't difficult. It's just very time-consuming. Just start one aisle at a time. What we found worked is to purge the entire aisle. While the DBO pushed everything out, the TL over the area reconfigured all the shelves and set it all up to make it caseless backstock ready.

We were one of the first districts to do it. If you don't have the wacos, you end up with too many items in one location. It becomes a real problem with keeping similar looking items apart, especially in areas like chem where every freaking Tide Pod bottle looks the same.

Not going to lie. It's a slog to set up. But, it does make 1for1s easier and your DBOs no longer reflexively blame fulfillment for their backroom errors so you'll have a better idea who is doing things wrong. Although from a fulfillment perspective it's a mixed bag and I'd rather have case stock in some areas when looking for unlocated product.

Sadly yes. No higher than 6 feet.

This makes me laugh. We are caseless (more or less) and let me tell you, our snack aisle in the backroom has loose items all the way up to the top shelf. Makes pulling a bitch to say the least. And there is stuff crammed anywhere and everywhere, same DPCIs are in several different locations. A royal pain in the ass because our DBOs are lazy and no one holds them accountable for their chaos. And it's not just snack; hba, stat, Bev are all also chaos run.

My advice for a store switching to caseless: figure what the expectations are for how it should look, and make sure everyone who is backstocking anything knows exactly what those expectations are. Or you will regret it.

Yeah. Order wacos. Lots and lots of wacos. More than you can possibly think you'll need. (Because you'll need them and getting them in is slow as hell.) Also order backroom shelf labels. You'll need lots of those. The actual process of going caseless isn't difficult. It's just very time-consuming. Just start one aisle at a time. What we found worked is to purge the entire aisle. While the DBO pushed everything out, the TL over the area reconfigured all the shelves and set it all up to make it caseless backstock ready.

We were one of the first districts to do it. If you don't have the wacos, you end up with too many items in one location. It becomes a real problem with keeping similar looking items apart, especially in areas like chem where every freaking Tide Pod bottle looks the same.

Not going to lie. It's a slog to set up. But, it does make 1for1s easier and your DBOs no longer reflexively blame fulfillment for their backroom errors so you'll have a better idea who is doing things wrong. Although from a fulfillment perspective it's a mixed bag and I'd rather have case stock in some areas when looking for unlocated product.

The real kicker... I just reprofiled nearly every backroom aisle for my departments. I did set up most of HBA to be caseless (started with wacos on the bottom). We have a few pallets of narrow wacos (3 inch, I think), but not a lot of wide ones (6 inch). Is there a planogram for caseless? Heard wacos are on backorder now, since apparently everyone was instructed to do caseless at the same time. Seriously, if this is an initiative that the company wants, they should be sending wacos and instructions on a store-by-store system so that there isn't a run on supplies all at the same time.

What's the process for oversized items (we currently backstock small bags of pet food and pet beds in aisle)? Having open shelves, vs. wacos makes more sense... but since the pandemic, those shelves have been treated as case space. Is the bigger change to caseless, getting the team to detrash and understand that there's no cases anymore?

This makes me laugh. We are caseless (more or less) and let me tell you, our snack aisle in the backroom has loose items all the way up to the top shelf. Makes pulling a bitch to say the least. And there is stuff crammed anywhere and everywhere, same DPCIs are in several different locations. A royal pain in the ass because our DBOs are lazy and no one holds them accountable for their chaos. And it's not just snack; hba, stat, Bev are all also chaos run.

My advice for a store switching to caseless: figure what the expectations are for how it should look, and make sure everyone who is backstocking anything knows exactly what those expectations are. Or you will regret it.

That's what I figured. I've set up a decent amount of my backroom aisles as open stock... to make 141s easier. But, that was when it was maintained by a single DBO. Now that it's total chaos and inbound is backstocking mostly... those aisles look like total shit with whatever, where ever. PETS is the worst right now (it doesn't help that the DC won't stop over supplying us).

I really need to understand the swadd process and get my DBOs to consider swadding on a regular basis, if we're to implement caseless. Not sure how that would work after implementing caseless.

Is the bigger change to caseless, getting the team to detrash and understand that there's no cases anymore?

Pretty much. We're not caseless in all aisles because in some it's insane. As @SigningLady wrote snack is an issue. Going caseless there would be pure insanity. But, anywhere that you can go caseless it's just retraining DBOs that they have to go caseless. Every shelf needs to be reprofiled to open stock. You'll likely have a lot of backsliding because TMs can be lazy. Just talk to your fulfillment team. Tell them if they find a case pack in an open stock location, to just pull it all out, take what they need and leave the rest at the end of the aisle. Let's your DBOs no in a not very subtle way that one way or another they'll have to deal with backstocking that stuff, so why not do what they are supposed to do the first time?

I went "caseless" before this became a thing.

Pulling 1-4-1s and knowing SFS newbies could decimate my BR location accuracy provided all the incentive I needed to get rid of my cases. 😁

Maybe I’m missing something but it seems there’s a lot of wasted space on the highest shelves. Gotta pay for it why not use it.

really need to understand the swadd process and get my DBOs to consider swadding on a regular basis, if we're to implement caseless. Not sure how that would work after implementing caseless.
No longer named swadd. Instead is now a transfer ( merchandise sweep) a lot easier . Basically you go to revlog , click the 3 dots on the top right , select create transfer , type your dc no ( that’s from where you get your trailers ) if you don’t know ask your inbound Tl or your receiver . After you do that you can start scanning items in your aisle and if it’s eligible for transfer it will let you add it and will tell you how much you can send . However what you need to make sure is that you take it off location in my work. All transfer should be shipped on a wood pallet with a purple transfer label ( again ask your receiver ) or better yet after you are done adding you close it by clicking done and take it to the receiver and let him know it’s a transfer and has to go on your next sweep .
BIG important thing only CASEPACKS can be transferred no open stock .If you have PIPO unbroken you can add that too something we weren’t able before with swadd.
The only time when you can send open stock is when HQ is initiating a exceptional sweep. But that will never happen for p1

Has sweep been turned back on for grocery? I have about 50 cases of Progresso Split Green Pea Soup...

Back