Archived No more LOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camacho21

Mr. Front End
So a couple days ago our STL informed most of the team that ETLs would no longer be LOD. Instead, there would be a designated TL each shift to act as LOD. She wasn't very clear as to why this change was made, she just made it seem like ETLs should focus more on their departments. What do you guys think about this and are any of your stores doing this?

Um, I've found Sr.TL's with LOD shifts to be a bigger issue. But that's been my experience

TLOD is something that they tried in the past, and it works nice, but then my store just gave up on it. On the new 10 day, TLs are getting assigned again for shifts. In the past, there still was an LOD, but the TLOD would do much of the responding as an LOD. In a sense, it helped the TLs get promoted as a result.

I hope this is something that other stores start too. My store never has TLOD shifts anymore. It really helped with promoting.

Sounds weird. I don't like it. I don't think it would work.

But - LODs are just glorified sales floor TLs anyway, so... I would have no problem letting the sales floor TLs decide who zones what area and follows up with them, and let the GSTL deal with the guests at the service desk like they should be doing.

There was a rumor years ago that smaller volume stores were going to eliminate most ETL positions.

It was just going to be STL, ETL-HR, AP, SnrTL and area TLs.

There was a rumor years ago that smaller volume stores were going to eliminate most ETL positions.

They've pretty much already done that. We only have STL, HR, GE/SF, and LOG. And the LOG position has been empty for about 9 months.

It sounds like your STL was exaggerating for effect. They likely meant that a designated TL would act as Team Lead On Duty for certain shifts each week, but there would still be an ETL/Sr TL acting as LOD as well. Having TLs taking more initiative running the store would reduce the stress of LOD shifts on the actual LOD as they wouldn't be called nearly as much. Really, "LOD problems" are almost always things that TLs can deal with if you give them the knowledge and confidence to make their own decisions.

But unless the DTL is going to promote every TL in the building to Sr TL and give them all perimeter alarm codes and keys to the store (and I promise you that's not the case) there will still be an actual LOD each shift.

Last edited:
Sounds like your store is going to start doing TLOD again like someone said. TLOD=Team Leader on Duty. They would take most of the calls and run the store to the best of their ability but the ETL obviously is still LOD in charge. TLODs do not have keys or access to many things that they would need to truly be an LOD. I actually stand by the benefits of someone having TLOD shifts as a developmental tool as long as their is actually teaching/feedback involved in the process by the ETL. SR. TLs are actually supposed to have LOD shifts...

my STL has sometimes scheduled a regular TL as LOD for a shift to A) give them the experience and B) provide support to the actual LOD when we were busy/understaffed/had no other leaders in the building, but a non LOD TL would never be by themselves.

But my understanding is that only a Sr TL, ETL, or STL can be in the building as the officially designated LOD. TL key carriers can be in the building alone while it is closed however - and they would be acting LOD until the actual LOD arrives. One former SrTL I know who stepped down to a TL key carrier gets one LOD shift a month, but that was part of the deal she made with her STL when she stepped down - mainly with the thought that she would step back up as soon as her personal situation was resolved (transportation/childcare issues).

If the LOD had to leave the building in an emergency, however, they could hand off LOD duties to a regular TL, key carrying or not. I think they would have to contact either the DTL, STL, or ETL-HR ASAP.

One time, many years ago when I had to call in due to bad bout of pneumonia, I called and the operator transferred me to the GSA when I called in and asked for the LOD. When I asked for an actual LOD he insisted he was all that there was. I called back later when an actual LOD was in the building.

If the LOD had to leave the building in an emergency, however, they could hand off LOD duties to a regular TL, key carrying or not. I think they would have to contact either the DTL, STL, or ETL-HR ASAP.

They can't hand off to someone without keys/codes. That violates everything about Safe & Secure & can lead to a term. If anything a Sr. TL/ETL from nearby store will come.

In the days I worked at Target we had a TLOD all the time. There was still an ETL in the store but a TL was the "lead" taking the majority of requests and responsibilities around the floor.

We have TLOD at my store and they don't really assist with anything outside of unlocking equipment for TM's.

At my store, we have an STL, ETL-HR/AP, ETL-LOG, ELT-GE/SF, GSTL (SR TL), APTL, PPTL (SR TL), and SFTL. Was told a while back they were looking a VMTL, despite volume not calling for one and I am sure they are looking for an LOGTL (SR TL), I just heard the last one lost his or her job due to a problem with their I9 form.

We have TLOD shifts where we run the floor but lately it's just been creating the breakout for the 2 or 3 TMs on the floor and doing your own thing (salesplans) for the rest of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back