Archived No more opening LOD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ETL GE told me today that my store will no longer have an opening LOD. If you are an ETL or Senior and you are in the building you are LOD no matter how many other "LODs" there are, and responsible for any LOD related calls/tasks that pertain to your department. Any other store doing this?

My ETL GE told me today that my store will no longer have an opening LOD. If you are an ETL or Senior and you are in the building you are LOD no matter how many other "LODs" there are, and responsible for any LOD related calls/tasks that pertain to your department. Any other store doing this?

Yes, this is another part of the changes lol.... Eventually all salary will go to opens and have a TL cover their days off. The STL is always the "store manager" but the ETL runs their department completely (call-ins, decisions, execution) so the STL doesn't have to...

This strikes me as splitting hares (as Bugs Bunny would say).
Yes, there is an opening LOD, they have just made it the Logistics ETL or Senior.
My store did that most of the time at least until 10:00 or so.
If this means later, that should be interesting.

Just a TL covering LOD on all closing nights? Oh boy my store would sink.

Yes, this is another part of the changes lol.... Eventually all salary will go to opens and have a TL cover their days off. The STL is always the "store manager" but the ETL runs their department completely (call-ins, decisions, execution) so the STL doesn't have to...

Ah so, a little more intense then.

So essentially the chain of command does not exist anymore?

Well, it exists, but...

Why not just change all their titles to LOD?

Ah so, a little more intense then.

Yep the title "LOD" really won't matter. It is going to more a "manager" for each of the major areas. Every morning there should be a "Style LOD", "Food LOD", "Essentials LOD", and "Service LOD" conceptually. The actual LOD (the STL) won't really have to do anything but check in with those 4 main points. For example, your ETL-Style may work every morning but have Wednesdays off, so the VML is the one opening that day for that area.

Nights are going to a Senior TL - Closing structure, but the store should be in great shape by 5pm and zoning at night isn't really a focus anymore. They are pushing to zone as you push on the grocery model.

Yep the title "LOD" really won't matter. It is going to more a "manager" for each of the major areas. Every morning there should be a "Style LOD", "Food LOD", "Essentials LOD", and "Service LOD" conceptually. The actual LOD (the STL) won't really have to do anything but check in with those 4 main points. For example, your ETL-Style may work every morning but have Wednesdays off, so the VML is the one opening that day for that area.

Nights are going to a Senior TL - Closing structure, but the store should be in great shape by 5pm and zoning at night isn't really a focus anymore. They are pushing to zone as you push on the grocery model.

Which there is no zoning because the whole damn department will be pushers.

Have fun taking all this product out of their pushers, then put them back in to FIFO.

Great shape by 5? So more zoning is going to be more of a focus during the day, as opposed to night?

That must have been what was happening today. I would hear a call for the LOD and different ETLS would reply. I figured it was because they were all in and just covering. Maybe this was happening? I wouldn't mind a little heads up, but then again I don't really care...:rolleyes:

Do all stores know this is eventually coming? I

Do all the STLs know this is eventually going to happen? I've been inquiring as to what my roll will be once E2E is in full swing. I hate suprises!

I feel like this would take a really long time before the team would be able to automatically call out Food/style/essentials/service LOD rather than expecting a single person to respond. I mean I suppose if other retailers do it then it must work, but it seems easier to have one person in the morning be LOD. Seems like it would increase a lot of drawn out conversations on chain 1 trying to figure out which LOD needs to respond until the team doesn't have to think about it anymore.

I feel like this would take a really long time before the team would be able to automatically call out Food/style/essentials/service LOD rather than expecting a single person to respond. I mean I suppose if other retailers do it then it must work, but it seems easier to have one person in the morning be LOD. Seems like it would increase a lot of drawn out conversations on chain 1 trying to figure out which LOD needs to respond until the team doesn't have to think about it anymore.
At my grocery store the managers have wireless phones, which makes it much easier to reach a specific person without drawn-out walkie conversations. If the ETLs get into a routine and are consistently working the same shifts each week (except for rotating weekends), it won't be too hard to remember who to call.

Do all the STLs know this is eventually going to happen? I've been inquiring as to what my roll will be once E2E is in full swing. I hate suprises!

Communication has been poor (surprise) I let people tell me what they know before I talk.

I brought up something to my ETL once that wasn't announced to them yet that I read here.

I learned it's best not to tip your hand

Last edited:
How many TLs/SrTLs are going to be fired after this gets rolled out, when people not used to leadership closing duties accidentally leave TMs behind in the store? Especially with a number of higher volume stores switching from overnight to 4am? It's going to be a circus in some stores.
As for all the zoning for the day being done at 5pm... good luck getting everyone on board at my store, not to mention there simply not being enough hours to move many closing shifts to shifts during the day. Backup can't even get off the lanes in a timely manner... It's sad how many problems in store could be solved by simply adding more hours and holding leadership (TLs as well as ETLs) accountable for what they can change. Eliminating ETLs isn't going to make that any easier, unless district people become significantly more involved on the store level. Like one+ visit a week more involved until stores are actually running smoothly. No more of this wasting payroll to make the store look great once a month bullshit. It makes the store worse for the rest of the month.

So they think at 5pm its going to be ready for close, that is just when my store gets a second wave from everyone dumping out of work and they tear the place up waiting for rush hour to mellow out.. Not going to zone shit.

No, again everyone needs to forget what they already know at Target, the CEO is basically changing expectations to align with other retailers. The point is that there is NO reason to get the store zoned perfectly by 11PM. When you complete your zone, the store is looking its best, and its to impress who? The next people to see it are the flow team! So company wide you have a pretty large amount of payroll being spent at night to zone the store, so that flow can stock through the same aisles again and then the store slowly deteriorates throughout the day as it gets shopped. The store looks its WORST at 5PM, because it has been about 24 hours since it has been zoned and this is supposed to be the peak hour at most stores.

They are saying get over the "great at the end of the night" expectation because its been brainwashed into us to do it that way. They are saying stop wasting payroll to impress your morning team, and instead think of efficiency. If you have a bit more time to get freight done, they are saying it makes more sense to stock the aisle, backstock it, zone it, and scan it (this is the grocery rollout direction only right now).

Yes and no... at first everyone who cries LOD will be confused obviously. However, if your ETL-Grocery is Bob, and you know he works almost every morning but (for example) Thursdays... The Food TMs will learn to just call for Bob, not an "LOD" for their concerns or questions. If their second in command is a Senior TL - Consumables named Rob and he covers Thursday mornings and the other weekends, that is only two names.

If I was a Produce TM and I needed to call in, I would just ask, "Can I speak to Bob or Rob" instead of the LOD... They would learn over time who their bosses actually are.

Yes and no... at first everyone who cries LOD will be confused obviously. However, if your ETL-Grocery is Bob, and you know he works almost every morning but (for example) Thursdays... The Food TMs will learn to just call for Bob, not an "LOD" for their concerns or questions. If their second in command is a Senior TL - Consumables named Rob and he covers Thursday mornings and the other weekends, that is only two names.

If I was a Produce TM and I needed to call in, I would just ask, "Can I speak to Bob or Rob" instead of the LOD... They would learn over time who their bosses actually are.
This will also help fix the whole, "I might be the LOD, but I'm ETL-SL! How am I supposed to know how to deal with this ETL-Food problem?!" You'll actually have access to your ETL on a reliable basis. You can say, "I will get my ETL's attention at X time, since I know that's a slower time for our area of the store and they're here at that time," even if it's a time when another area will be slammed... because the ETL for THAT area will be there to deal with it. Instead of ETLs hiding in their offices and letting the official LOD deal with everything, they'll be expected (more so than now) to take care of their own area's issues. If the STL is worth anything, anyway.

What about stores with only 3 or 4 seniors? Wondering if they'd start having TL's be key carriers too?
As it is now, with 3 etl's, 3 seniors, and 1 stl in the closing rotation - nobody gets stuck with more than one close night. Seems like we may have some burned out seniors if they have to close two or three times a week :/

Our backroom and flow TLs are already key carriers. It's not that hard to make a TL a key carrier.

What about stores with only 3 or 4 seniors? Wondering if they'd start having TL's be key carriers too?
As it is now, with 3 etl's, 3 seniors, and 1 stl in the closing rotation - nobody gets stuck with more than one close night. Seems like we may have some burned out seniors if they have to close two or three times a week :/

The current test version I've heard is that we would have a night manager type thing, where we would have 3 or 4 seniors that close five nights a week. Not sure how they would be able to staff this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back