Archived No overnight Flow for Fourth Quarter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stores can unload earlier at their discretion. We are a 6AM store, but we will definitely be 4AM last week of November and last 2 weeks of December.

I call BS on the operating costs of going overnight. The flow process is much more productive with no guests in the store. The plano team can get the store really shapable in that time and if you have one person to audit all signing overnight thats a huge win. Basically having flow plus a very productive small recovery team can get your store in great shape that leads to increased sales. Doing all of this during store operating hours is crazy. First and foremost how about lack of equipment. Next ease of shopping. People don't want to walk around pallets tubs and flats of merchandise. If they did they would be at walmart. Fill and straighten the store overnight, during the day let the sales floor team focus on the guest and driving sales.

Productive but also costly. They don't want to pay that extra dollar for working overnight. Doesn't matter how sales are

Walmart has come out to say that they want more employees on the floor to assist and interact with customers. They have pretty much done away with cash office personnel and put those people on the sales floor. Now Spot can't have WM providing more/better customer service (is that even possible??). Apparently Spot has taken notice of this realignment and is following suit!

I have never worked flow, but gotta believe it is WAY more efficient and cost effective when there are no guests disrupting flows flow.

Stores can unload earlier at their discretion. We are a 6AM store, but we will definitely be 4AM last week of November and last 2 weeks of December.
There has been a lot of communication this year that stores need to submit a form asking permission before going ahead with an earlier unload.

We are currently 4am after transitioning from 10pm. I've heard from leaders and team members that my store is going back to overnight... If they don't, we are going to be royally fucked equipment wise. Flow hoards everything until they leave which can be as late at 1pm. SFS is going to pick up soon too. That will need like 5-6 PDAs and it will be a huge fight to get them from flow.

There has been a lot of communication this year that stores need to submit a form asking permission before going ahead with an earlier unload.
There was a form, everyone in our district submitted one and got approved. Several days later plans changed and we learned we would only be unloading earlier when absolutely necessary.

I will say there was a request form to fill out by early October to change your unload times. I haven't heard them "putting the stop" to changing unload times, just that it had to be requested pretty far in advance or the GVP would need to approve it.

On a second note, I could see them making some changes to avoid stores going overnights. I have heard of numerous tests being done recently to see if its possible to convert some of the high volume stores into 4am processes.

I will say there was a request form to fill out by early October to change your unload times. I haven't heard them "putting the stop" to changing unload times, just that it had to be requested pretty far in advance or the GVP would need to approve it.

On a second note, I could see them making some changes to avoid stores going overnights. I have heard of numerous tests being done recently to see if its possible to convert some of the high volume stores into 4am processes.

I imagine there is a lot of brain-storming about how to take a double at 4am.

Unless the flow team is extrememly flexible and doesn't mind frequent schedule adjustments from 4am to 10pm and back again, then I guess it could be possible.

Unless the flow team is extrememly flexible and doesn't mind frequent schedule adjustments from 4am to 10pm and back again, then I guess it could be possible.
We take doubles at 4am no problem. It just means flow doesn't get out until around noon.

No official announcement yet, but the word at our store is that we will not be rolling back to 2am. So dumb. My ETL is trying to change that, but he doesn't expect much success in that endeavor. We're going to look like shit when the store opens.

word from a top mount Target is that there will be no double trucks and nothing before 4am. but as with everything at ye ol'House of Spot things change and they may nor may not tell us about said change or in fact deny that there was ever anything to change. so carry on with whatever and pray to the lonely ones for better days and you better be done in 15 minutes.

word from a top mount Target is that there will be no double trucks and nothing before 4am.
Hahaha we're a 6am store and have already taken 2 doubles after BTC. Not a chance in hell that there will be no more doubles (unless they let our shelves empty out).

Hahaha we're a 6am store and have already taken 2 doubles after BTC. Not a chance in hell that there will be no more doubles (unless they let our shelves empty out).

I will drop a hint... Its not that Target is removing doubles (as in two trailers in the same day), but their recent tests are working on removing two trailers at the same time! The changes that are on the books for next year are aiming to make the actual unloading of a trailer (and its time) more flexible... and the stocking of the freight remaining rigid.

I assume you mean unload the truck and stage the merchandise until the rest of the stock team comes in. It actually isn't such a bad idea but also may be impossible at some stores with space constraints.

I'm in a overnight store that takes atleast one double every week year round. During BTS/BTC and 4th quarter we take triples on occasion. I don't know how well the system would work with that type of volume.

I will drop a hint... Its not that Target is removing doubles (as in two trailers in the same day), but their recent tests are working on removing two trailers at the same time! The changes that are on the books for next year are aiming to make the actual unloading of a trailer (and its time) more flexible... and the stocking of the freight remaining rigid.
I can only assume that means having everything on the trailer already palletized?

At my grocery store, the daytime grocery clerk unloads the trailer when it arrives in the evening and the overnight team comes in and can start pushing immediately. Takes ~30 minutes to unload.

I can only assume that means having everything on the trailer already palletized?

At my grocery store, the daytime grocery clerk unloads the trailer when it arrives in the evening and the overnight team comes in and can start pushing immediately. Takes ~30 minutes to unload.
thats gotta be the changes they are considering. It will make it more difficult to get through backstock if we aren't able to scan the trucks anymore, but if pallets showed up pre-wrapped and sorted we could just pull them off a truck and stage them on the salesfloor for the flow team to push.

That would throw a wrench in target's fuel savings costs though, you can't fit as much on a trailer if you're wrapping pallets and sorting them - plus you lose about 6 inches of vertical space off the entire trailer.

That would throw a wrench in target's fuel savings costs though, you can't fit as much on a trailer if you're wrapping pallets and sorting them - plus you lose about 6 inches of vertical space off the entire trailer.
They could make up for it by sending freight for multiple nearby stores on the same trailer. So all trailers would always have the max amount of pallet space being used.

They could make up for it by sending freight for multiple nearby stores on the same trailer. So all trailers would always have the max amount of pallet space being used.

Huh, don't they already do that?

Having TMs on DC wages sort and palletize merchandice just doesn't seem like a good way to save money. Why pay someone at the DC 20$ what someone at the store can do for 10$?

Last edited:
If the DC palletized freight, that would take a significant more time on their end. I do not see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back