Archived No Receipt Exchanges

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store has been cracking down on being stricter with no receipt returns and exchanges, but I've noticed everyone I work with in guest service handles these situations differently. For example, a guest came with a broken air mattress that was worth $100 and wanted to exchange it, but didn't have the receipt/card used. My coworker went to get the same air mattress for her to exchange, and was presumably going to just change the amount it gave the guest back (which was only like $25) on the merchandise card in order to repurchase the new mattress... obviously this was a big price gap to change, and I know my coworker got spoken to about it to clarify what the circumstances were.

I get guests all the time with diapers given to them as gifts that don't fit their child, so they ask to just exchange with the new size. Do you guys allow this? Or do you say Target doesn't do no receipt exchanges to avoid sketchy situations? The answer seems to change between every person I ask.

Open air mattresses have to be exchanged directly - put on a merchandise card and then immediately use it towards a new one, do not give the guest the card. In the case of the air mattress if they were getting the same exact one I would adjust the price in order to do an even exchange but other than that they would have to get the lowest selling price etc

Diapers I always issue a merchandise card rather than exchange for a different size because different sizes come in different count boxes and cost different amounts

Open air mattresses have to be exchanged directly - put on a merchandise card and then immediately use it towards a new one, do not give the guest the card. In the case of the air mattress if they were getting the same exact one I would adjust the price in order to do an even exchange but other than that they would have to get the lowest selling price etc

Diapers I always issue a merchandise card rather than exchange for a different size because different sizes come in different count boxes and cost different amounts
So for the case of diapers, if the ones they had were worth $25 and POS only gives them back $5, would you just use that $5 toward the new diapers instead of changing the amount they were getting back to $25 that they could use toward the same brand/count but different size?

I take it case by case. Some people you just recognize as frequent scammers or you get that vibe. For the air mattress, it is exchange only, so I’d probably just change the price to an even exchange... knowing we have some regulars that use air mattresses for months and grossly give them to us to exchange, I may recommend contacting the manufacture if they were unsatisfied especially if the mention it’s been a few months.

With the diapers... I tend to make it right for the guest. If they want to exchange for size, I ask them to get the same brand and same dollar amount and will adjust to even it out. If they just want the credit, I won’t adjust the price up.

When the guest wants an exchange rather than credit, it tends to make it less scammy (unless they know they’re over their limit and have a cart ready to exchange... i’ll deny that). I usually always adjust prices in that case. I’ve talked to a few tms that don’t do it because to me that is literally “making it right for the guest” and can always be justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back