Archived Not communicating?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a TM at Target for just over a year now. During this entire time I have had no issues, problems or negativity. I left at the end of August and rejoined beginning October. During the month I was away, a new backroom team leader joined and she is a royal micromanaging bully. She belittles and barks at the TM with instructions, demands and time expectations. I work my ass off in the back room, going over and above expectations as well as making bales. For the year that I have been there, I have never been told that I do not communicate enough because I am given my job instructions for the shift and I do it, no need for nagging and chasing after me. Today I was called into her office and she told me that I am disrespecting her because I don't communicate my every move to her and that because I am still in my 90 day probation period, she will see how things go and decide if the relationship is going to work. I was speechless. Am I really being threatened with my job because I don't communicate my every move to her! I would love to hear your thoughts and responses to this.

Though this seems to be the way the culture is going where you have to scream on the radio every five minutes or even when you scratch an itch.. None of the current leadership seems to be able to understand that people can just be given a job and it just gets done..

To be fair, most of the people they hire aren't capable of doing a job once given it without someone riding their ass, but once someone has established themselves as trustworthy it seems unnecessary.

Sit down with your TL again and note that you've been here a year and prior to your month off you were used to processes of X and Y and you're sorry you didn't realize NewTL wanted more regular updates. Ask her what specific concerns she has about your work and how she would prefer to be communicated with in the future.

It could be she's a horror of a micromanager or it could be she is used to working with slack-asses who require constant monitoring to get anything done, and if she realizes you're not one of those she'll calm down.

I had an ETL exactly like that who was a micromanaging bullying martinet that had to know everyone’s every move at all times. Slowed down productivity, killed initiative, coached for every tiny error like it was a personal affront, and became the laughing stock of the team over their antics on the walkie before finally driving out most of the TMs/TLs who were subjected to the reign of terror. Sorry that your TL is apparently too insecure and immature to trust you to do your job, but unless your ETL/HR will stand up for you your only recourse may be to change workcenters, transfer or leave. Incidentally, your TL is supposed to be evaluating your work performance, not your “relationship “ with her. Good Luck.

Always call out your breaks over the walkie and 15 mins before you leave for the day ask if they’d like to do a walkthrough and go over what you did and didn’t get done so that they know what to do with the next TM. Always call out when you’re about to clock out too!

I have been a TM at Target for just over a year now. During this entire time I have had no issues, problems or negativity. I left at the end of August and rejoined beginning October. During the month I was away, a new backroom team leader joined and she is a royal micromanaging bully. She belittles and barks at the TM with instructions, demands and time expectations. I work my ass off in the back room, going over and above expectations as well as making bales. For the year that I have been there, I have never been told that I do not communicate enough because I am given my job instructions for the shift and I do it, no need for nagging and chasing after me. Today I was called into her office and she told me that I am disrespecting her because I don't communicate my every move to her and that because I am still in my 90 day probation period, she will see how things go and decide if the relationship is going to work. I was speechless. Am I really being threatened with my job because I don't communicate my every move to her! I would love to hear your thoughts and responses to this.
Talk to your Etl-log first give her/he a chance to talk to this tl. That way it doesn’t look like you go above ranks. I mean I know hr is there for complains as such but it wouldn’t hurt to have the etl log first and maybe you are not the only one and she could talk to other team members and see if it’s a pattern .

What was your response to her?

I am interested in this too.
Before you go to anyone else have a chat with your TL as to how she wants you to operate. This will show initiative and show that you are willing to learn and adapt to her demands.
All of this could just be a misunderstanding of the expectations of communication. ( thats a mouthful)

I would have a blast if I had an etl or tl that way. "Hey, George, copy? Walking to softlines. Copy, George? Found item, handing it to the guest. George, copy? Guest received item. Copy, George? I'm walking back to my post. George, do you copy? Almost tripped over a Lego on the floor, picking it up and putting it on the shelf. George, copy? Item on shelf. George, copy???"

To be honest, I didn't say much. I asked her how she thought I was disrespecting her because during that day I had communicated my every move to her and she said that I do not "over communicate" because she thought I was backstocking when in fact I was finishing the A block pulls. I think she is doing this for personal reasons because she is a control freak and a verbal bully and she has nothing to say about my work, because it is flawless.

To be honest, I didn't say much. I asked her how she thought I was disrespecting her because during that day I had communicated my every move to her and she said that I do not "over communicate" because she thought I was backstocking when in fact I was finishing the A block pulls. I think she is doing this for personal reasons because she is a control freak and a verbal bully and she has nothing to say about my work, because it is flawless.
Yasss ciao. It’s called jealousy And she has been bitten by that bug pretty hard. Sounds like a stuck up self righteous you know what

Its always best to assume things about people. That’ll get you ahead in life.

I don’t know much about anything 🤷🏻‍♂️, what I do know is that, there’s always more to a story....

How hard is it to be like" BRTL, I'm done with p2. What do you want me to do next?" "TL Susan I am going to break. I finished my chem u boat, it's back stocked. " sounds crazy to me 🤷‍♀️

How hard is it to be like" BRTL, I'm done with p2. What do you want me to do next?" "TL Susan I am going to break. I finished my chem u boat, it's back stocked. " sounds crazy to me 🤷‍♀️
I didn’t like your comment NKG, that was for you.

To be fair, most of the people they hire aren't capable of doing a job once given it without someone riding their ass, but once someone has established themselves as trustworthy it seems unnecessary.

This is definitely true, and at my store, has gotten worse over time. When I started, TMs were generally much better workers than who gets hired now. I'm used to not communicating about anything because I come in, do my job, and leave. My leads love me for it because they know I can be trusted to finish what I need to without being checked on. If I need anything, I will go find them.

Everyone else who hasn't been there as long as me feels the need to make a huge announcement about every little thing they do and it annoys the rest of us quite a bit. "Hey everyone, I'm going on break, yaaaay!" followed by ten people telling them to have a good one. Ugh. I can't stand to have a walkie anymore. No point in taking one when I'm just going to keep shutting it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back