Archived Not Getting Paid Correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
So, I'm puzzled as to why my checks have been so short lately. I'm mostly not understanding the taxes that are coming out, because there's over a $200 difference between what I made before and after taxes. I don't get how I'm making so little despite various pay increases. I would like to just post my check here with any identifying parts left out, but I don't know how safe that is. I made about $700, but after taxes, only got about $500. Does that sound about right? The thing is, I feel that's what I was making when I was still at minimum wage. Usually I'd make more than that. So, wtf?! Advice? How am I making LESS, despite being paid more? How safe is it to post a censored pay stub here?

Alright, so I did some fucking goddamn research, and the percentage taken out is basically fucking average as fuck. Jesus Christ, it's like you work a quarter of your life for free. Yeah yeah, I know it's not "free" because taxes go to shit. I'm just so fucking annoyed that despite making like 3 bucks more than I was, it makes no difference in how much money I actually take home. I want to just fucking give up on life, commit a crime, and live the rest of my life in jail and not have to think about shit ever again. What's the fucking difference?

You read your pay stub...

GEE THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! No wonder you're able to successfully operate a coffee machine every morning! YOU'RE SO INTELLIGENT!

Welcome to life. The more you make the more taxes are taken. What state do you live in?

I'm in California. The math is correct, but I've literally had a $2.53 raise since January, and I work an average of 31 hours a week, yet I'm not actually making more money after taxes. It's so frustrating.

That doesn't really sound right, unless there's something weird going on with state taxes.

You should be able to see all of your paychecks from the last few years on eHR. Try and find one from before your raise where you worked the same amount of hours as you did on this last pay period, and compare them.

That doesn't really sound right, unless there's something weird going on with state taxes.

You should be able to see all of your paychecks from the last few years on eHR. Try and find one from before your raise where you worked the same amount of hours as you did on this last pay period, and compare them.

Alright, so I just compared, and something is definitly wrong. I actually got paid MORE back in January for almost the same amount of hours worked, but at minimum wage. the Tax Deductions are the same though, so it makes even less sense. Hopefully I'm just missing something, but I'm going to have to print these, and show them to my HR, and see what they think.

Actually, the only thing I notice that's off, is it's taking .50 cents from my check for United way, when I opted out of it this year. Ugh, what a headache this is becoming.

if it helps you can compare two of my paychecks before and after a raise (a much smaller one than yours), with all else remaining almost exactly the same.

my gross pay increased by 44.68
tax withholding and 401k contribution (a percentage of my pay) increased by 12.50
my net pay increased by 32.18

Attachments

• 11.18.png
    11.18.png
    148.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 11.74.png
    11.74.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 36
if it helps you can compare two of my paychecks before and after a raise (a much smaller one than yours), with all else remaining almost exactly the same.

my gross pay increased by 44.68
tax withholding and 401k contribution (a percentage of my pay) increased by 12.50
my net pay increased by 32.18

Interesting! Thank you for posting that! So I did the math with mine, if the taxes are the same, there's about 30-40 dollars not being accounted for. I just find it hard to believe a mistake has been made, but I at least want a clearer explanation for what's going on. (with the exception of United Way being deducted, that's a mistake!) There's a few more tax deductions for CA, but between January and now, they're still the same. I do have a 401K plan...could be something there I'm not understanding.

I just don't get how I can be working more hours...for more pay...and be making the same amount of money.

Reactions: TTB
Just compare them side-by-side, line-by-line until you find it. The current earnings minus the current taxes and the before and after tax deductions will equal your total net pay.

Alright, so I just compared, and something is definitly wrong. I actually got paid MORE back in January for almost the same amount of hours worked, but at minimum wage. the Tax Deductions are the same though, so it makes even less sense. Hopefully I'm just missing something, but I'm going to have to print these, and show them to my HR, and see what they think.

Actually, the only thing I notice that's off, is it's taking .50 cents from my check for United way, when I opted out of it this year. Ugh, what a headache this is becoming.
I thought the united way, if you signed up the contribute last year for this year, started in January? Odd that it would just now be starting. I'd check into that as well.

The larger variance appears to be in the taxation amount including FICA - looks as if you jumped into another tax bracket which is fairly easy to do at that wage amount. Example: I will bring home more if I work 29 hours in one week as opposed to 34 hours. Once I hit 35 hours the I see the difference therefore I always attempt to work 29 hours or so but will only work more if my week totals 35+ hours. A possible scenario is that with your rise in hourly wage you've simply jumped to the next bracket. It sux, I know, but it is fairly common.

@Target NPC, also check to see if you're listed as a smoker. That caught me by surprise and I had an ordeal just to prove I'm no smoker!! That and it took a huge chunk out of my checks. Something definitely sounds off and that might be one of the decrepinces.

You could also ask to sit down with your hr tm or hr etl ( if your store still has one ) Just tell them you have some questions. More than likely they can answer any questions you have ( and if they are good at your job) explain it to you in a way that makes sense. There could be an error of some sort or it couldn't also be ( as others have said ) the taxes have changed etc.

@Target NPC, also check to see if you're listed as a smoker. That caught me by surprise and I had an ordeal just to prove I'm no smoker!! That and it took a huge chunk out of my checks. Something definitely sounds off and that might be one of the decrepinces.

This is because every year with benefits it defaults to smoker. If you dont manually change it you will pay the higher fee.

This is because every year with benefits it defaults to smoker. If you dont manually change it you will pay the higher fee.

WEIRD! How are they allowed to do that? Where do you see if you're "listed as a smoker."

Reactions: Him
Check your stub for "deductions" such as 401k, 401k loan. If it says "Tobacco" anything near that area, You're 1) Fuckkkkkeeedddd and 2) Screwed out of some cash. @HRZone I wish we could "Manually" Get paid what a high profiled professional boxer or someone in the NFL, NBA or MLB makes. :p No such luck I guess. :rolleyes:

@Target NPC, I really enjoy your profile picture, that's about 35% of my coworkers and 100% management at my store!! :cool:

I just got some papers about that in the mail... I smoked a cigar a few months ago and the test they administer if they do goes back 6 months, well that's cool lol I guess occasional smoking of a stogie every few months or even 6 months will screw me out of any additional money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back