Archived Online pickup fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was working the front and a guest comes up, asking for an online pick up. I go to grab it (I work at a small format) and I ask him for his ID, and he doesn't have it. He gets mad that I'm asking grumbling that he has the email barcode, but he goes and gets it from his car. He comes back, gives me his ID and i check the app and his name isn't there. I ask if he's picking up for someone else and if he's listed on the alternate pickup. He says he's picking something up for his wife, and when I check, he's not listed as an alternate pickup. I say that I'm not allowed to give it to him, and that just because he has the barcode, it doesn't mean that he doesn't have to be listed. He complains and I just blame company policy, and as he walks out he turns around and yells at me, "Its not company policy, ITS YOUR POLICY". I'm so sorry that I'm trying to protect the store and your wife's items from being stolen, and I am sorry that its causing you an inconvenience, but I don't make the policies. Anyway.

Technically if they have the barcode you aren’t supposed to ask for ID :( but I know some stores they make you ask anyways but best practice is either barcode or ID, both aren’t needed

I was never even told about the barcode lmao its ID only at my store haha... my LODs are super strict

So yeah you did things by the book (except for the fact that you don’t need an ID to pick up an order if you have the barcode) but I can’t say I would have done the same thing in that situation. Being empowered to make something right for a guest also extends to order pickup, and if the guest in question was able to give me the first and last name of the person who placed the order and tell me what the items were, I would probably just give it to them (excluding if it was something super expensive). No that’s not really following “the rules” but I’m not going to make a bad experience for a guest if I don’t have to

Yep. If they can tell me what was ordered, I will let it go. Sometimes I've had them call the person and I will verify that the pickup is good to go with the not-listed alternate.

The whole flaw with going by last name is that people can get pretty petty during the beginnings of a divorce and a lot of people who are otherwise decent will play mind games like take items the soon to be ex ordered.

It ain't that hard for the guest to -gasp- take a few seconds and add a name.

The whole flaw with going by last name is that people can get pretty petty during the beginnings of a divorce and a lot of people who are otherwise decent will play mind games like take items the soon to be ex ordered.

It ain't that hard for the guest to -gasp- take a few seconds and add a name.
I guess but there are also lots of guests who have a legal first name and use a different one for everything else.

My least favorite “guest’s name” interaction has to be married 30 some women. They come in and show their ID/tell me their married name... no order comes up. I ask if there are ANY other last names it could be under (I’ve got lines and don’t have time for policy) and they insist that that is the ONLY last name it could POSSIBLY be under. A bit later when they have finally found the email to show me a barcode I’ll scan it and say “oh, it came up as XYZ last name and your first name!”
Only then do they go “OOH HAHA that’s my maiden name, I don’t know why it didn’t update on Target.com”
This happens 3-4 times a week and it just baffles me that when I ask if there might be a different name that it is under, it doesn’t occur to them to at least TRY the last name they used for the first 20-30 years of their life

My least favorite “guest’s name” interaction has to be married 30 some women. They come in and show their ID/tell me their married name... no order comes up. I ask if there are ANY other last names it could be under (I’ve got lines and don’t have time for policy) and they insist that that is the ONLY last name it could POSSIBLY be under. A bit later when they have finally found the email to show me a barcode I’ll scan it and say “oh, it came up as XYZ last name and your first name!”
Only then do they go “OOH HAHA that’s my maiden name, I don’t know why it didn’t update on Target.com”
This happens 3-4 times a week and it just baffles me that when I ask if there might be a different name that it is under, it doesn’t occur to them to at least TRY the last name they used for the first 20-30 years of their life

You have to ask if it could be under their maiden name or any other previous name to get them to understand. Be specific. It's actually quite difficult to get Target to change your name in the system after you start an account. That's why this happens so often. Also, check if it's under their middle name or initial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back