Archived Opening at Midnight on Black Friday 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was at Target, our ETLs told us that calling out any day that weekend would mean automatic write-up. I suppose it could be automatic term if you were already on your final.

Calling out on Black Friday is a ************ move... Making work that much more of a hell for your co-workers.

They need everyone working at Target on BF. I remember last year someone said I am calling in and someone said you better be in your hospital bed or dead because you aren't calling in lol. It doesn't matter if you are Unav you still have to work no matter what. I even remember someone asking off and they denied them of course and they had to show up anyways. Not a chance getting off my friend unless you get super lucky.

Calling out on Black Friday is a ************ move... Making work that much more of a hell for your co-workers.

Yep. Now its alright for "you" to call out on black friday but when your co worker calls out. All hell breaks loose...

This would not surprise me. It would be purely to compete with 24-hour Walmart down the street!

Not looking forward to this, it sucked enough opening at 4:00.
I had to get the 3 day signing up before we opened was painful and then played guard to electronics.

Last edited:
I hope this is not the case for two reasons.

One, working the past 2 seasons in HR and spearheading the Cashier and front end schedules it is a pain in the ass to get enough cashiers for opening, and enough to help in closing, and fill in between and make sure there are breakers to relieve during the opening rush when we started at 5 two years ago, 4 last year.. Now add on another 4 hours to get covered is going to be a pain. We were not staffed enough with seasonal help by that time, if it is the case we will need to start hiring a lot more starting as son as possible.

Two, I would think TGT is smart enough not to open the doors at the same time as all of the other competition, as many people will plot out their day to hit as many stores door busters as they can, planting friends and family to hold spots in line at many stores then get there by open to buy.. opening at the exact same time is going to draw away a good crowd, I know many stores stay busy for hours after the opening but there are a lot of people that take a second chance at another store that is opening 4 hours after the one they were just at in hopes to pick up some leftover deals.

Oh well, either way I will be opening, I wouldn't mind the midnight opening as I have been working midnights for the past few months anyhow :)

i asked our hr about this. he seems to think it's based on location, kind of like the closing times. but when i asked, he had that "fake surprise" look on his face. makes me nervous.

Guess I know what I'll be doing instead of family time....setting 2 day endcaps and hanging the useless 2 day signing.
ya, setting ad and those wonderful signs. had help with setting signs last year, took me longer than it would have, if i did it by myself. why is signing endcaps so hard for others?

How about building all the bins? Those were a real joy too.

i know here, Toys R US opened at midnight this last year, and i am thinking that best buy may have also? it just amazes me, we don't have the sales, (nor does anyone else) like we used to, yet, people wrap all the way around the store to get in for that one TV.

My HR today mentioned that it was 4AM, she said it pretty confidently. However it could just be her assumption.

I asked two of my ETLs about BF and asked when we would open that day, they both said 4am.
When I mentioned opening at midnight they both laughed and said that they didn't think Target would change to that time.

I am pretty confident with the ETLs that I talked to, so I'm going with the assumption that the midnight is not the time we'll open.

My old GSTL said that her ETLs were bringing up the subject of a midnight opening and laughing about it.

It could all be select markets.

Is it just me who finds it interesting that at this time last year, when the STL's were at their yearly conference thing, that the rumor came up about opening at 4am and all the ETL's said "No no it's 5am." Then the STL came back and said "Yeeeahhhh..no"

Would not be surprised if it's midnight

Is it just me who finds it interesting that at this time last year, when the STL's were at their yearly conference thing, that the rumor came up about opening at 4am and all the ETL's said "No no it's 5am." Then the STL came back and said "Yeeeahhhh..no"

Would not be surprised if it's midnight

Yea, that's what I'm waiting for, is the STL to get back from the yearly conference.

STL mentioned something in TSC this morning about how it was four am and not midnight... and thank god for that.

xD

I was amused because I immediately figured out what she was talking about.

Anyone get more feedback about opening?

In the propaganda paperwork that they've put out about planning for fourth quarter there is no listing whatsoever about BF, extended hours, or how long into January extended hours will last.

While I'm still pretty confident on my LODS saying we open at 4:00am I'm also wondering why the hours for stores aren't posted.
I think that stores will be open later on Xmas eve this year....by an hour.

asked my TL and he said its supposed to be 4am, but he "HEARD" that it might be 12am.... Guess we will wait and see :)

If it's 12am good luck getting me to show up... I'm on a final for attendance until 06/2012 and that will just get me fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back