Orientation

I was hired a couple weeks ago and I have my orientation coming up soon and I have a few questions that hopefully you guys can help me with.

1) I know this is probably different everywhere, but where do I go as soon as I go in for orientation? Do I need to check in with guest services?

2) I'm not completely sure what to wear... the lady on the phone told me but I think I may have misunderstood her. I'm pretty sure she said there was no need for red and khaki so I was thinking just a red shirt and jeans just to be safe.

3) Does anyone know about how long orientation lasts?

4) What does orientation consist of?

5) I know I have a vacation that I'll need off in a couple weeks, will it be OK if that interferes with my training? How do I get this time off?

Thanks!

1) At my store, yes- guest services.
2) Just something nice and neat looking. No need for the red & khaki. You should be good with a red shirt and jeans, as long as they don't have holes.
3) Usually a couple hours.
4) Watching training videos, filling out paperwork, getting a tour of the store, receiving your training schedule and discount card, etc.
5) You should have already told your HR/interviewers about any time off you'd need. Since you didn't, let them know ASAP and make sure they can accommodate you.

I'm pretty sure she said there was no need for red and khaki so I was thinking just a red shirt and jeans just to be safe.

They don't want guest to bother you during the be the guest activity so they generally don't want you to wear red and khaki until your first real shift.

3) Does anyone know about how long orientation lasts?

No one can tell you that but your store. My old store did almost all training and so orientation was a legit 8 hour shift, my first store it was only a 3 hour thing. If you are just curious thats one thing but if you need to be somewhere you would be wise to call and ask.

5) I know I have a vacation that I'll need off in a couple weeks, will it be OK if that interferes with my training? How do I get this time off?

You were supposed to tell them about your vacation during your interview. If you did not tell them right away and see if they are willing to block those days out. I write training schedules before orientation so don't wait until the last minute. Ask asap

My orientation is taking forever to get a date I was hired on July 31,2017 and was told to ignore the email and now I'm pissed because the lady said it was Gibbs real soon for a orientation call but I then them 7x to see when will I start orientation and still have no date
Can someone help

My orientation is taking forever to get a date I was hired on July 31,2017 and was told to ignore the email and now I'm pissed because the lady said it was Gibbs real soon for a orientation call but I then them 7x to see when will I start orientation and still have no date
Can someone help
They might just be trying to get enough people together to have a full orientation. However, I have seen as little as two people in an orientation. My store is hiring a lot of people right now and they just had a huge orientation group come in.

I need help y’all. I’m new to the team and have orientation with target on Friday. I was asked to bring 2 forms of ID and verification but I’m not I’m sure what else to take. Do I have to bring anything else in particular, is there a dress code or do I just wear anything appropriate.what should i expect at the orientation. And how long after the Orientation do I officially start to work? THANKS IN ADVANCE

License, State ID, Birth Certificate, SSI Card

If you have Red and Khakis, wear em. If not, dress decently.

You'll get your training schedule the day of orientation.

I was asked to bring 2 forms of ID and verification but I’m not I’m sure what else to take. Do I have to bring anything else in particular,

It depends. Are you are a minor?

If you under 18 and in high school, you should have been given a form that you show to your school/district to obtain a work permit. You need to bring those two completed items to orientation.

If you are under 18 and graduated from high school already, then you need to bring your diploma.

is there a dress code or do I just wear anything appropriate

Regular clothes are fine for orientation. You still want to look put together though. No ripped saggy jeans, gym clothes, sweats, flip flops, slippers, PJs, holey shirts with stains, etc.

what should i expect at the orientation.

Complete paperwork, watch videos, walk in a store tour, and maybe do an activity.

And how long after the Orientation do I officially start to work?

It depends on the person writing your training schedule. They are required to schedule you at least once a week so your next shift shift won't be later than next week.

It depends. Are you are a minor?

If you under 18 and in high school, you should have been given a form that you show to your school/district to obtain a work permit. You need to bring those two completed items to orientation.

All (states) are not the same. I'm a minor and my state doesn't require 16/17 year olds to obtain a work permit.

Why isn't there a sticked orientation thread? The OP's questions have been asked/answered a million times here already.

@commiecorvus :) - What Kartman said. I wonder if we should do a FAQ thread too since a lot of people have asked the same questions (orientation or otherwise) in different threads:
- Why did I get an e-mail saying that I have orientation on this day but we don't really have orientation? (the automated orientation e-mail from JAS)
- What do we bring to orientation?
- Do I wear red and khaki to orientation?
- What is the dress code? Can I wear ____?
- What can I do if I am being scheduled out of availability?
- Do I just apply to the other store if I want to transfer? What is the process?

There's more but those are the ones that come to mind.

I'm making a sticky out of this because it is one of the most commonly asked questions and would be good to have easily on hand.
I am however going to delete some of the conversation that has nothing to do with orientation because of that.
This will be one thread that won't go off course.
It is meant for information only.
Thanks for your help.

Thanks @commiecorvus

Here's a summary of what I send to my orientees to be with some other good info

Coming to Orientation

1) Do not be late to orientation. We are starting promptly at XX:XX am/pm don't make a bad impression on your first day.

2) Orientation is paid, meaning you are on the clock for the duration of it. Do not be on your phone, we actually rescinded a job offer to a kid texting his girlfriend during the orientation videos. I hate to say it but as a new hire you are VERY REPLACEABLE.

3) You DO NOT need to come in red and khaki unless told otherwise. For the floor activity we would rather you be dressed as a guest and not be bothered by other guest when you probably have no idea where anything is.

4) If you need days off, you should have disclosed that in the interview. Your training schedule took a while to write pairing you with the right trainer so don't expect us to just give you the days you want to work.

5) Do not forget your documents, one from column A OR one each from B and C. Stores are supposed to send you home if you don't bring them, I let one guy go thru orientation without his documents. He said he would bring them back that evening, he showed up with them a week later, I had terminated him by then.

Once you've started orientation

6) Ask lots of questions, I want you to be successful. I am not annoyed by questions, I would rather you not eff up and be out of a job. That's a waste of my time.

7) It's a lot of information (some unnecessary) but do take orientation seriously. I can't count the times people get fired and say "I didn't know about that policy." Probably because you weren't paying attention.

8) Find an orientation buddy. It's good to have a new team member who you can check in on/have them check on you. I notice team members who have a buddy stay with the company longer and are generally more successful.

9) When our ETL AP/APTL/ APS comes into orientation take note of his face. Now don't be an idiot on the floor and say hi to her/him. They're undercover so don't speak to them unless they speak to you when they are plainclothes.

Thanks @commiecorvus

Here's a summary of what I send to my orientees to be with some other good info

Coming to Orientation

1) Do not be late to orientation. We are starting promptly at XX:XX am/pm don't make a bad impression on your first day.

2) Orientation is paid, meaning you are on the clock for the duration of it. Do not be on your phone, we actually rescinded a job offer to a kid texting his girlfriend during the orientation videos. I hate to say it but as a new hire you are VERY REPLACEABLE.

3) You DO NOT need to come in red and khaki unless told otherwise. For the floor activity we would rather you be dressed as a guest and not be bothered by other guest when you probably have no idea where anything is.

4) If you need days off, you should have disclosed that in the interview. Your training schedule took a while to write pairing you with the right trainer so don't expect us to just give you the days you want to work.

5) Do not forget your documents, one from column A OR one each from B and C. Stores are supposed to send you home if you don't bring them, I let one guy go thru orientation without his documents. He said he would bring them back that evening, he showed up with them a week later, I had terminated him by then.

Once you've started orientation

6) Ask lots of questions, I want you to be successful. I am not annoyed by questions, I would rather you not eff up and be out of a job. That's a waste of my time.

7) It's a lot of information (some unnecessary) but do take orientation seriously. I can't count the times people get fired and say "I didn't know about that policy." Probably because you weren't paying attention.

8) Find an orientation buddy. It's good to have a new team member who you can check in on/have them check on you. I notice team members who have a buddy stay with the company longer and are generally more successful.

9) When our ETL AP/APTL/ APS comes into orientation take note of his face. Now don't be an idiot on the floor and say hi to her/him. They're undercover so don't speak to them unless they speak to you when they are plainclothes.
Thank you so much. This helped a lot and now I’m ready for Friday.

If a seasonal TM becomes a regular TM do they have to do a 90 day probation period or does their seasonal time count?

Wait what? My orientation was near 6 years ago, and there was nothing of this.

Some stores still don't do them. I like that it allows people to explore areas of the store they normally wouldn't frequent.

It's a great first step to becoming global

My store theoretically does them, but my orientation class was too big so they skipped it.

Some stores still don't do them. I like that it allows people to explore areas of the store they normally wouldn't frequent.

My ETL HR just gave us a tour of the store. Accomplished the same thing without bothering on the clock TMs.

My favorite, is putting new hires on Reshop, (Then ask the GSA/GSTL to watch the bins, if they can, closely). as it is by far the easiest way to learn Target's layout.

My favorite, is putting new hires on Reshop, (Then ask the GSA/GSTL to watch the bins, if they can, closely). as it is by far the easiest way to learn Target's layout.

Please explain this about watching the bins?

Last edited:
Back