Archived OT Annoyance + mini rant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ughhh, I've already hit OT again for a 4th shift this month. I'm a new overnight PLANO TM (one month only) and I just?? Don't know how we can finish things? Like, apparently everyone works a bit off the clock to clean up their area. Since I'm new, I didn't want to do that since I was told it's immediate termination, but when I got my third last week, I freaked and did maybe two days off the clock clean up. However today, I was almost finished with my cleanup in electronics, but as I was going to go rush back up before I hit OT, idk what his role his, he seems important, electronics TL??? He asked me to push back four carts of electronics push in the backroom. I'm already tired of my team not cleaning up perfectly at the end of the shift, so I went ahead and did it (I wasn't annoyed with him, he's really nice so I didnt mind doing the favor). I was contemplating clocking out and then finishing, but I figured that off the clock work was worse than OT, plus I knew there were people in the office and I didn't want them to tattle if they saw me?? Do they do that lol? I'm pretty sure someone saw me, which is also another reason why I didn't wanna risk off the clock again.

I'll be so bummed if I lose this job because of OT, arghh. I try not to, but the judging stares of the openers is just...

By the way, how does leaving push out work? I was told by a fellow plano tm that i should push it to the backroom so it's off the floor, but when I did, there was no space for it. I asked another TM in the area where else can I put push and he said that I should have left it outside where it was originally so that the day team could get to it. So he just told me to leave it in the elevator and someone will get to it. Now for this overnight, the same plano tm left his push on the floor but then the electronics tm asked me to push it to backroom, so idk what's the procedure?? At my previous jobs they don't want any boxes on the floor, which is why I'm trying hard to cleanup.

Also, frikken spider wraps. I thought I was done with my sections, but it turns out that a lot of the stuff I was repushing didn't have spider wraps. And being new, of course I'm fumbling with them and get the wrong ones (I didn't know there were large sizes). Moreover, I thought they were for 39.99 and up, but 29.99 is included...

UGH!!!! I just hope I get the hang of things... and still have this job...

Your store may differ but working OT for several shifts should be ok as long as you don't have OT for the week. So you'll have to clock out early one or 2 shifts to compensate. I mean I'm always scheduled to leave at 10 but I rarely clock out at exactly 10...it's usually at least 5-10 minutes later.

to do that since I was told it's immediate termination, but when I got my third last week, I freaked and did maybe two days off the clock clean up.

Yup you are more likely to be fired for working off the clock then you are for hitting overtime.

You should partner with your PPTL about what to do when you can't finish on time.

While overtime is never a good thing. There's a big difference between Plano hitting it because they are needed and a cashier staying 10 minutes late because they didn't turn their light off.

My Plano team always is on projected overtime until their final day of the week when they cut their hours no matter what.

Also when it comes to not finishing something you should always put a note on it. That way people know it's Plano.

Your store may differ but working OT for several shifts should be ok as long as you don't have OT for the week. So you'll have to clock out early one or 2 shifts to compensate. I mean I'm always scheduled to leave at 10 but I rarely clock out at exactly 10...it's usually at least 5-10 minutes later.

Under the clock in machine there has been a note that said if you hit OT 5 times in a month, you'll get corrective action. However todsy after I clocked out, it seems they changed it and it now says 3 times AND 8 hours total OT for the month. I'm no where near that so I hope I'm okay...

Yup you are more likely to be fired for working off the clock then you are for hitting overtime.

You should partner with your PPTL about what to do when you can't finish on time.

While overtime is never a good thing. There's a big difference between Plano hitting it because they are needed and a cashier staying 10 minutes late because they didn't turn their light off.

My Plano team always is on projected overtime until their final day of the week when they cut their hours no matter what.

Also when it comes to not finishing something you should always put a note on it. That way people know it's Plano.

Yeah, I always try to put notes on any tubs or carts we push back. I've worked stockroom in two other jobs so I know how annoying it can be when there's some large quantity of boxes/units of which you don't know the purpose.

I'm kinda shy to talk to my PPTL, tee hee. He speaks sternly, which is just his personality, but it makes me timid in approaching. But I'll try!

Never work off the clock, period.
If you hit 40 by the end of the week you might might have to clock out earlier on Friday which isn't the end of the world.
Of course clear all this with your PTL.

Are you in a state where you get OT for working more than 8 hours? That's the only way I can see them needing to warn about hitting it 3 times a month.

Take an extra 5+ minutes on your lunches so you have a bit of buffer, and try to give yourself time to clean up before you need to clock out. Start thinking about wrapping up 30 minutes before the end of your shift, and be headed towards the time clock by 5 minutes before the end.

If anyone asks you to do anything near the end of your shift, just politely tell them that you're sorry but you need to clock out before hitting OT.

Never ever work off the clock, regardless of what everyone else is doing.

Don't work off the clock, it's one of the worst things you can do because it's illegal. If you're new, you're expected to be slower, so partner with a leader well before the end of your shift about where you're at and what you need to do in order to clock out on time. Electronics is one of the more difficult sets in the store so I'm sure the more experienced TMs are taking longer as well, it'll get easier from here.

It appears you aren't the only one taking extra time to finish so your PPTL will be understanding. Some of the leaders I thought were the most stern or stoic ended up being the most reasonable and level headed ones to deal with.

I would rather deal with the anxiety of approaching him than the anxiety of worrying if you will be fired for hitting overtime

How we do it is we try to get whatever we can done but if you can't then you just can't and that's fine.

Our example is like catching a carrot on the stick you'll never get the carrot but you might be close a few times.

Electronics is the 2nd most tedious (Technicality wise, product/facing/capacity wise Market wins hands down) area in the store, with Displays, literally on displays, and AP fixtures, with only a certain amount of keys, and Fixtures that are ONLY used in electronics, it can be demanding.

The only Department I think that is more "Tedious" in a Technical aspect is Cosmetics.

Thank you all so much for your replies and advice! I learned a lot. :)))))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back